996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Got a ticket during 5pm city traffic for my PSE exhaust being loud

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
Got a ticket during 5pm city traffic for my PSE exhaust being loud

The officer told me that the exhaust sounds modified. I explained that it's a factory sport Exhaust but he would not give in. He wrote me a ticket. Is it possible to get this ticket dis missed considering it's a factory PSE exhaust?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 PM
turb0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where (major cross streets) and when (date) did this occur?

If you go to court, ask for the instrument (make/model/serial number) used to determine that it was exceeding the legal limit from what distance, then request the certification and calibration records of the instrument, plus proof of training that the user of the instrument was qualified to use it.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:01 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Oh yes. All you need are the details/info from Porsche stating US-spec vehicles offer PSE as factory US DOT approved option. That cop sucks.....

Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Chances are he missed his donut break. Take it to court. If officer doesn't show up its an automatic dismiss. If he/she does then an arbitrary sounds too loud won’t work. Decibel device must be present and trained on its use.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I don’t believe that is true any longer with the new exhaust laws that went into effect January 1, 2019. The officer has more flexibility and that ticket will cost you $1,000 and could send you to BAR referee. Check out video.

https://binged.it/2ILhmP6

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-20-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I don’t believe that is true any longer with the new exhaust laws that went into effect January 1, 2019. The officer has more flexibility and that ticket will cost you $1,000 and could send you to BAR referee. Check out video.

https://binged.it/2ILhmP6
not so fast. Officer can issue a ticket instead of the old fixit ticket. And you Can be sent to a referee. But, it still states “ over 95 db is illegal”. So, my hearing isnt so good anymore, but my friends is
excellent. Which one can measure, according to the law, decibel levels. Answer, neither. Case dismissed

New exhaust laws since January 2019:

Assembly Bill 1824 went into effect in January 2019. This new legislation does not make California vehicle exhaust noise laws more strict. Instead, the Bill only makes it mandatory for police officers to issue immediate tickets to offenders.

AB 1824 enables law enforcement to issue immediate fines for violating exhaust levels. Prior to 2019 police officers issued so-called “fix it” tickets, enabling you to fix your vehicle’s exhaust system within 30 days, provide proof, and avoid paying paying fines. As of 2019 fines are mandatory, and can range upwards of $1,000.

California Vehicle Exhaust Noise FAQ

Below are some frequently asked questions about California exhaust noise laws!

How do cops determine exhaust noise level?

95 dbA is the legal limit for vehicle exhaust noise in California. Police officers can “exercise their judgment” in determining if your exhaust noise is over the legal limit. Most factory-installed exhaust systems even on powerful sports cars don’t exceed 75 decibels.

Are all exhaust modifications illegal in California?

Exhaust modifications are illegal only if noise emitted is over 95 decibels. Keep in mind California smog lawsor other legislation may still make your custom exhaust modifications illegal.

All vehicle exhaust systems must have mufflers. Any bypass, cutouts, and especially whistle tips are not permitted.

What happens if I get ticket for too loud exhaust?

If your vehicle exhaust is too loud, you will be ordered to take it to an official Referee Center – Bureau of Automotive Repair Smog Check Referee Program.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:29 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Do you see the part of your own statement where it says fines are mandatory?...that is $1,000 out of your pocket...what is unclear is if the fine is mandatory even if you have the ticket dismissed in court. What is clear, is it is bound to be a big hassle. I think most officers will be careful to single out noisy exhausts or cars that have obviously been modded in other ways but it still is a huge pain in the butt for hotrodders and enthusiasts and a huge source of income for a bankrupt state. I’m thinking that if the OP appears in court, regardless if the officer appears or not, he will not achieve a dismissal without the judge ordering him to go to the referee and prove no 95dbA at the required distance. I would be very surprised that any judge will simply take your word for it when an officer has determined your exhaust, stock or not, is too loud. Keep in mind it is the total noise level not just the exhaust...I know at high rpm the intake on my GT3 adds considerable dbA. If the referee puts you on a dyno there will be Tire and gear noise as well. Wishing the OP good luck!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:26 AM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
Court sent me the ticket. It's $200. I did pay a visit to local Porsche dealer which was of no help. They mentioned that I need to take the car to the DMV referee. Do you think they have a noise decibel meter to test out my car for legal limit or not? Thanks a lot for the replies.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Yes...the referee will have a decibel meter.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:59 PM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yellowbmr
Court sent me the ticket. It's $200. I did pay a visit to local Porsche dealer which was of no help. They mentioned that I need to take the car to the DMV referee. Do you think they have a noise decibel meter to test out my car for legal limit or not? Thanks a lot for the replies.
First of all know exactly what the law is that town for noise control. Let's say it can't exceed 90 dB measured at 2 ft from the exhausts at full throttle. Then download a simple free audio level app on your iPhone or Andriod. Get someone to record it from 1ft, 2ft, etc. Make sure you have clear video showing the dB meter's measurements. Go to court and if the police officer shows up, he'll have explain the exact distance of the measurement and what device he used to come to the determination. More than likely, he just made a subjective analysis of the noise without a device. You explain to the judge that your car's exhaust system is factory installed and compliant with all noise laws. Demonstrate that it passes the current law. Case dismissed!

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 04-25-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Your advice doesn't apply in the case the citation was issued under the new CA noise law.

Here is a link the law and the guidelines for dealing with a ticket.

http://www.californiacarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/

Here's a snippet from the above site:

If your vehicle exhaust is too loud, you will be ordered to take it to an official Referee Center – Bureau of Automotive Repair Smog Check Referee Program.
  1. First step of this process is to make your vehicle’s exhaust compliant with laws.
  2. Next, schedule an appointment with California Referee Center. You will need your traffic ticket, and vehicle registration information for this.
  3. At this point the Referee Center will conduct an exhaust noise test:
    1. If Referee Center’s test determines your vehicle is still not within legal noise limits, you will be required to repair it before attempting another test.
    2. If your vehicle is under 95 dB, you will be issued a “Certificate of Compliance”. This certificate must be presented in traffic court.
More information about this process can be found on California Bureau of Automotive Repair website (BAR). BAR does not issue preemptive compliance certificates.

There will be financial costs incurred even if your vehicle is compliant. It’s best to avoid getting a traffic ticket altogether. In case the Referee Center determines your vehicle’s exhaust noise is not over the legal limit, the court can dismiss your citation.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:36 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Macster
Your advice doesn't apply in the case the citation was issued under the new CA noise law.

Here is a link the law and the guidelines for dealing with a ticket.

http://www.californiacarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/

Here's a snippet from the above site:

1. First step of this process is to make your vehicle’s exhaust compliant with laws.
  2. Next, schedule an appointment with California Referee Center. You will need your traffic ticket, and vehicle registration information for this.
  3. At this point the Referee Center will conduct an exhaust noise test:
    1. If Referee Center’s test determines your vehicle is still not within legal noise limits, you will be required to repair it before attempting another test.
    2. If your vehicle is under 95 dB, you will be issued a “Certificate of Compliance”. This certificate must be presented in traffic court.
More information about this process can be found on California Bureau of Automotive Repair website (BAR). BAR does not issue preemptive compliance certificates.

There will be financial costs incurred even if your vehicle is compliant. It’s best to avoid getting a traffic ticket altogether. In case the Referee Center determines your vehicle’s exhaust noise is not over the legal limit, the court can dismiss your citation.
"referee center"??? Ha! Typical California for you. They won't trust you presenting the evidence to the court and so they require you to spend money to get money back. A typical court deterrent, IMHO. Never forgot this story written up in Road and Track... I believe it was a city in Maine... Apparently, they were giving out $75 - $100 speeding tickets, but to fight it in court, it would cost $150 in court fees. Way to go Maine government... you rock!

Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by b3freak
"referee center"??? Ha! Typical California for you. They won't trust you presenting the evidence to the court and so they require you to spend money to get money back. A typical court deterrent, IMHO. Never forgot this story written up in Road and Track... I believe it was a city in Maine... Apparently, they were giving out $75 - $100 speeding tickets, but to fight it in court, it would cost $150 in court fees. Way to go Maine government... you rock!
Yes, it smacks of lousy CA law making which invariably results in more bureaucracy growth. And it will snare the innocent since the decision to issue the citation is quite subjective.

Maine makes what was going on in east Texas look tame. A small city there was pulling over drivers and through threats and other means confiscating cash and vehicles and if the person protested threatened him or her with even more severe and false charges.

Link:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-l...robbery-tenaha

Apparently while this town was probably the worst in unjustified civil asset forfeiture, civil asset forfeiture in Texas is big business and no doubt being abused/misused in other locales, inside Texas but in other states as well.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:02 PM
1colbrz is an unknown quantity at this point
That is a real bummer. Hopefully you can escape being punished for something that you didn't do. I read the law and I think you can but it looks like it will require a trip to the referee. As for the Officer, who knows but it's probably not because he missed his donut break (really?). The Cops aren't the bad guys here. If you think they are then call a gang banger when someone tries to break into your house or steal your car. Anyway, yes it is a bs situation but it's not just a California problem. If you have ever had someone pull up beside you and bark their vehicle exhaust in your ear (you know our Porsche cars sit pretty low) and you've got your window down, you might understand the issue. In my case it's usually a motorcycle rider with a competition or open exhaust split laning but, I have had it happen a few times with some Boy Racer in his open exhaust rice burner. The fact is these laws are being enacted because a few "stupids" are screwing it for the rest of us. They are the ones we need to convince to clean up their act. Sometimes a little peer pressure goes a long way. Once the Politicians get a hold of it, we're screwed.

And yes, here in California we do have an over abundance of Gov't interference and regulation. Most of us hate it, some of us fight it, many of us are planning to leave it. However, I was born and raised below the Mason-Dixon line and trust me, California doesn't have a monopoly on "stupid".

Regards,