996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo_H&R coilovers_Any good?

Old 04-19-2019, 05:18 PM
kennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the rough
996 Turbo_H&R coilovers_Any good?

Appreciate thoughts on H&R coilovers for 996 Turbo part #29462-2. Considering these based on availability and cost (around $2K). PSS10 are not available right now and haven't been for months (something weird's going on with Bilstein..just my thoughts). My goal is to lower the stance about 1". This is a daily driver and not for track. So suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:01 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Have them on my car and it does get the height you will be looking for. Mine are the RSS so a bit tighter and along with alignment more aimed at carving than daily. They do have a Street version which may be the right answer for you.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 PM
kennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Etchhead, good to hear you're happy with your H&R coilovers. The H&R coilovers I'm looking at are the Street Perf vs RSS coilovers (the ones you have). I note they are not compression/rebound adjustable so you get H&R's setup period. I noticed they don't come with drop links so were you able to use your stock links or do we need to buy. thanks kenny

Old 04-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Unsure of drop links but I did just do new locking Toe and GT3 LCAs but all of that was aimed at sportier alignment. Your OEM drips might be ok for the time being. I had some older PSS9 shocks on a previous car and appreciate the adjustments. Mine are fixed as well- but set it and forget it works for me. Speed Gallery just finished the car and it’s solid. Roads in Portland aren’t fantastic- but not too harsh.

Good uck and send before/after pics!

Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 PM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
I have the H&R Streets and like them just fine. Prior to those I had some lowered springs on stock shocks which was a pretty harsh ride. This is a vast improvement, but I don't have a good comparison to stock. You will get the lowered stance you are looking for.
I do believe they came with drop links.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys, I stand corrected the H&R coilover do come with drop links.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 AM
Anybody have constructive criticism or feedback on the H&R coilovers. Before I jump in and get a set. thanks kenny

Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I have them on my car. I like them, great for a smooth street setup.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Hey, I found a pretty interesting video which tests the H&R coilovers. Check it out, seems he likes the general overall construction (appears H&R use Bilstein parts), but questions the dampening characteristics as being too harsh vs his comparison to Bilstein coilovers. Kinda wish Bilstein would get their act together so I could consider some PSS10s.... Let me know if you have any opinion on the video's findings.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
The Bilstein setup is nicer and more progressive at an added cost. I got my H&Rs used for really cheap so I just went with them. You will like both setups. The Bilstein setup will be better on the track for sure.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Yes bang for your buck is part of the equation. New I'm looking at about $2100 for H&R vs PSS10 for $2800 (if I can get them). So for $700 I'm thinking of waiting and maybe I can pickup some used H&R springs to lower my stance until the PSS10 become available...make sense?

Old 04-21-2019, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't. It is a lot of work + alignment each time you swap them. The fronts in particular are a pain to swap over the springs. Look into the Ohlins setup https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/1998-2004-porsche-996-turbo-turbo-s-auto-rt-poz-mn02

Also Fortune Auto has a nice setup you might look into.

Last edited by brnrdtns; 04-21-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:50 PM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
I wouldn't. It is a lot of work + alignment each time you swap them. The fronts in particular are a pain to swap over the springs.
I'm with him. For all that extra work I'm not sure you've gained much, but I've not driven a 996tt with the PSS10s.
Also, I took lowering springs out that were matched with the original shocks and it was unbearably harsh. Two things working against you: The dampening is not tuned to the spring rate and you are also working outside the normal operating range of the original shock. If you don't mind not being able to adjust your ride height or dampening rate, then lowering springs with the proper Bilstein shocks (B8s I think??) has had good reviews around here.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 PM
All good advice/opinions. I thought I settled on PSS10 but the Olins Part Number POZ MN02 for $3100 are now a possibility, and given the Olins availability should be considered. If so no need to install lowering springs until PSS10 become available. thanks

Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
unless you're 100% certain that "used" springs have really low miles? don't do it.

as others have said. h&r reds with the oem b'stein dampers ( b4's ) the ride is "harsh". the h&r sports are perfectly matched with the bilstein b8's. it's not "coilover" perfect but its good enough for *most* that need to lower their car but still need it to handle *properly* and ride on the street.

i have for a decade of more run MO 30 with the h&r reds and i replaced the springs twice. i will soon r&r to new b8's and another set of "reds" but haven't gotten around to it since my f'n house burned down. barring that ( as you noted bilstein's availability lately is weird ).. i'll go with the olin's r&t coilovers.

they are on my to do "list".

my point ( if any? ) used springs is a caveat emptor kinda deal.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo_H&R coilovers_Any good?