997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Camshaft Pinning Option - using slotted pins

Old 04-19-2019, 11:05 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Camshaft Pinning Option - using slotted pins

I have been trying to look at alternatives concerning pinning cams. I am curious as to thoughts on using slotted pins inserted into the exiting holes in the cam.

I came across a facebook page that shows this technique and I am seriously considering it. I have a call into the shop to ask them some questions, but I thought I would post here and seenif anyone had either experience or opinions.

Here are a couple of shots of the work:

I am intrigued by this and I think it is worth finding out more information.

Ed

Old 04-20-2019, 02:24 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
This is how I've seen it done all the time. 2 holes but finished flush with the hole.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:17 AM
fyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant futurefyrken has a brilliant future
My plan is to drill new holes for pinning the cams. My mechanic has done this to his engine and it works really well so we will do the same on mine when the rods are replaced in the upcoming month.
I will post some photos of it and try to aid the community.

Using the existing holes might work but it could interfere with the oil feed.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:51 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Does anyone know if this can be done (using the existing holes) while the cam is still in the engine?

Ed

Old 04-20-2019, 03:04 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
Cost?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:23 PM
I think maybe the better question is: "Are the holes covered by the cam gear assembly at the end of the shaft?"

From the looks of the drawings and the pics I have seen I think that the holes become visible when the cam bearing saddles are removed without separating the cam from the sprocket (cam controller).

I think the question is will tapping a spring pin in damage the seats the cam sits in under that saddle. If I remember using that type of pin before, it does take some firm taps to drive it home, but maybe not enough to damage the head.

As far as cost goes if that shop calls back I will ask.

Ed

Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Cam needs to com out. No need for new hole.

Tim

Old 04-22-2019, 06:06 AM
OK, last question: Size (length/width) of the pins and who would be a good supplier?

Ed

Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lliejk
OK, last question: Size (length/width) of the pins and who would be a good supplier?

Ed
Its a standard pin buy a kit it will have what you need. You do not send them all the way in. You can grind them flush with a 045 wheel on a 4.5” right angle grinder. Thread the cam bolt in so you do not send the pin too deep.

Tim

Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 AM
Thanks Tim, that was the last piece of information I needed.

Engine coming out in about a week. Lots of fun ahead, cooling stuff including water pump, elbows & pinning, clutch hydraulics, camshaft pinning (not spun yet), sparks, exhaust, sways, check clutch wear and some other miscellaneous items like checking the vac tubing, etc. Me and the Mezger are going to get really familiar with each other. While it is not as simple as my AAN from the UrS6, I am pretty confident in the tasks needed to be done.

Ed