Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What are you all using for diagnostics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:16 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
What are you all using for diagnostics

What are you all using for reading modules on our cars... 2009 Vantage here... I have a Autel MD 802 that i use of most of my cars but am tired of forcing it to use ford or Volvo settings...

I've heard some good things about Foxwell NT510. About $160 bucks for one brand and then another $60 for each brand after that...

I think i can still get by with my Autel for my older cars but for my newer ones, am leaning towards Foxwell... Don't need the $1,500 unit...

What can you program or change with Foxwell... I realize you can't program like I do for my BMW, but anything interesting?

Old 04-21-2019, 06:41 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
I use "OBD Fusion" App on my iPhone. It can read out codes and clear too. I use it with 'Carly for BMW' OBDII WiFi adapter that I bought to use their App on my Z4. But any OBDII WiFi adapter will work with "OBD Fusion".

Old 04-21-2019, 07:04 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
Foxwell NT510. I found the software installation process somewhat painful, but once I got it working, it's worked well. I also have the module for my wife's Range Rover, and that has worked when I needed it.

I do wish I could afford/justify AMDS - I use ISTA for BMW, and it's on another level as a diagnostic tool with all the built in documentation. It makes figuring things out much easier than the Foxwell type tool, that only gives you an error code and cryptic description.

Do you have the OBD diagnositic manual? I have one for DB9 that really helps clarify what to do if you get a code that is engine specific - most are applicable to Vantage as well. I can send you a link if you don't have it.

Matt

Old 04-21-2019, 09:42 AM
gaussianmist is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cuddapah
I use "OBD Fusion" App on my iPhone. It can read out codes and clear too. I use it with 'Carly for BMW' OBDII WiFi adapter that I bought to use their App on my Z4. But any OBDII WiFi adapter will work with "OBD Fusion".
Can your app (Or the Foxwell or the Autel) tell you if the misfire correction factors have been learned?

Old 04-21-2019, 09:46 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Here's my two cents:

There's never gonna be an ISTA type program for these cars unless someone rips off AMDS the way BMW was pirated. ISTA is an older factory BMW tool that was misappropriated - the internet circulating versions are ok for hobby use but lack the ability to perform firmware upgrades and other advanced functions since they cannot connect to authentic servers. I've also lost count of the number of BMW home hobbyists who have bricked the DME using NCS Expert (a component of the earlier BMW Standard Tools - also ripped off) to "tune" their engine without fully understanding the process and safeguards.

OBD Fusion is a great inexpensive and stable tool for emissions type diagnosis but will not read AML specific OBD codes or parameters, only standard codes and params - albeit from almost every OBDII compliant vehicle - it does have great logging capabilities though for road test diagnosis and is Android and iPhone compliant (very portable). It will not read any other Aston Martin modules than the engine ECU - and only standard P codes at that. It will not code or adjust parameters.

Foxwell NT510 - I tested this on my Aston 3 years ago when it was version 5.10. I'm still wary of this software for AML. The current version is 5.21 but most of the revisions have been to support national languages not bug or comm error correction or actual product improvement. Since it has no backup functions unlike other apps that write parameters and/or firmware I don't use it any more - a CEM is not easy to replace and you need the vehicle config file. My Vantage is not overly complex anyway unlike say a 2018 BMW where one must have manufacturer specific diagnosis tools for all related modules. Worst I've had with the V8V was a CEL and that was when I forgot to plug the left MAF sensor back in. I've attached a copy of the Foxwell claimed functions for Aston Martin vehicles for reading.

Carly - it's odd that someone mentioned Carly on an AM forum. I don't believe they have an AML product? Back when iVini started it was called BMW-What. I was a beta tester for their BMW platform, then a Carly Trainer - they had a single lifetime purchase price for both scanner and software till Apple told them they (and Apple) could make more money selling annual subscriptions. If I had to pay their annual fee (I was grandfathered in) it would be hard to justify for any home enthusiast as there are comparable tools with no annual fee. Carly for BMW does have the best BMW specific parameter logging available - better than BMW factory tools. Mind you they pay BMW a lot of money bi-annually to access the BMW specific OBD data and parameters. Never tried their product on any other make.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AstonMartin_Function.pdf (83.9 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by BMW-North; 04-21-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:31 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gaussianmist
Can your app (Or the Foxwell or the Autel) tell you if the misfire correction factors have been learned?
"OBD Fusion" is a generic app that only reads standard error codes and gives option to clear them for many vehicles.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:18 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Autoenginuity is not cheap, but has an AM module that can be added to the basic functions. Still far cheaper than the AMDS option.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:49 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hsm precision
Foxwell NT510. I found the software installation process somewhat painful, but once I got it working, it's worked well. I also have the module for my wife's Range Rover, and that has worked when I needed it.

I do wish I could afford/justify AMDS - I use ISTA for BMW, and it's on another level as a diagnostic tool with all the built in documentation. It makes figuring things out much easier than the Foxwell type tool, that only gives you an error code and cryptic description.

Do you have the OBD diagnositic manual? I have one for DB9 that really helps clarify what to do if you get a code that is engine specific - most are applicable to Vantage as well. I can send you a link if you don't have it.

Matt
the BMW coding works well for my needs and I am able to upgrade Alpina software to my car for a great transmission program.

im interested in looking at and clearing module codes. I have a copy of the workshop manual and I think itnhas the typical diagnostics