Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Brakes (PCCB) for Track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 PM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
Ceramic Brakes (PCCB) for Track?

I was chatting to another Porsche friend and he said there was an article recently (although I can't find it) about PCCB being terrible for track days - and it came from Porsche directly? Anyone have any info on this, as most of you know I plan to track my car 30% of the time... If I need to switch them out to Brembos/Wilwoods then there may be a pristine set of PCCB for sale soon

Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
that's 100% polar opposite of everything I've heard and Porsche marketing (ain't saying he's wrong, but......)

Old 04-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Think I've found something about it...

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/for...brakes-porsche

Old 04-22-2019, 04:17 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
from a function point of view the carbon are king, from a maintaining a wear item then the iron brakes will be cheaper...

Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by DogWood
from a function point of view the carbon are king, from a maintaining a wear item then the iron brakes will be cheaper...
I'm more concerned about brake fade under load, etc. In addition, I don't want to permanently damage them if taking then on the track renders them useless. More research is needed 😊

Old 04-22-2019, 10:56 PM
Chedman13 is on a distinguished road
I’ve read that too.

1) Porsche recommends standard rotors for track.
2) on top of that, they recommend plain rotors. Any cross drilled rotors are swapped for plain rotors when tracked per Porsche.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LouDA
Think I've found something about it... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/for...brakes-porsche
... so basically just to maintain clean wheels for longer period

Porsche supercar weight saving explained:
So while there are obviously dynamic benefits in reducing unsprung weight at each corner and so on, we asked who was the target audience for carbon ceramic brakes.
“People who don’t like cleaning their wheels,” came the somewhat arch reply. “They don’t leave a build-up of brake dust, so that’s an advantage,” claimed Watson.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:05 PM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Proven in motorsport, the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) is available as an option. On the new 911, the cross-drilled ceramic brake discs of PCCB now have a diameter of 410 mm at the front and 390 mm at the rear – for even more formidable braking performance.

Originating from the 911 Turbo S, PCCB features six-piston aluminium monobloc fixed brake calipers on the front axle and four-piston units at the rear – all painted in yellow – to provide braking forces that are considerably more powerful and, crucially, are exceptionally consistent.

PCCB enables shorter braking distances in even the toughest road and race conditions. Safety under high-speed braking is also improved thanks to its excellent fade resistance.

Another advantage of PCCB is the extremely low weight of the ceramic brake discs, which are approximately 50 % lighter than standard discs of a similar design and size. This results in better roadholding and increased comfort, particularly on uneven roads, as well as greater agility and a further improvement in handling.
So there is a lot of information on this topic. Like many things, I think the answer lies in your application

I think I'd recommend standard brakes if a) there is a high wear AND, b) you are worried about replacement costs, c) ultimately performance is not a primary motivator, d) aftermarket (re: upgrade but don't expect Porsche to say that) available

A reason to not to do ceramic brakes and even non-slotted/non-crossed drilled - flat metal rotors can be machined, none of the others can. If ultimately performance is the goal, then the cost of replacement can be worth it. ONe thing that is often quoted, but no necessarily true, is that Ceramic support better heat distribution/better life - life may be true, but at much higher replacement cost.

Also, in the case of Porsche the models that offer PCCB have the 6 piston calipers (from the 911 ceramic/Panamera/Cayenne) as opposed to the standard setup. On many models this is a significant upgrade.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:43 PM
WANNAPAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok an another Mercedes Forum their is a thread were someone paid $25k to have carbon brakes swapped on a car and another person willing to do the same for the sake of clean wheels and looks. Insane as a that price think how many time you can pay someone to come detail your wheels.

If your buying for street duty the $10k MSRP uncharge isn't bad as they are probably lifetime brakes, brake better on the street when warm and I guess keep your wheels clean.

Remember car companies sell cars on reviews and test numbers. The carbon brakes help sow shorter stopping distances and help handling in test reviews. That does not mean they will have the same results in race situations. Didn't Nissan get in trouble for using basically shaved tires or aggressive pads to get low review numbers but then they weren't repeatable because you couldn't buy the exact part again as the replacements weren't the same???