Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Battery charging question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:03 PM
flyer39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery charging question?

New owner of a 2005 GT. The car has 2 trickle chargers--1 hardwired to each battery. So each side has a cord that I plug into an extension cord from the wall outlet in the garage. Does anyone see a problem with this set up?

I was considering a CTEK that plugs into the 12v outlet, but the hardwire setup may be more robust.

Thoughts and thanks.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 PM
Nader is on a distinguished road
I have a single ctek plugged into 12 volt outlet in back and seems to charge both batteries, at least I think it does.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:27 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Should be ok. I have two Cteks, one using the 12volt plug and the other using alligator clips. Works for me.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:51 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
My trickle charger is hard wired only to the big LHS bat .The pig tail is in the boot . It’s garaged .
The plug also fits a solar charger I put that on the dash or rear parcel shelf depending on sun orientation if I leave the car at an outside airport carpark.
Recently the car was left 14 weeks in the garage with just the trickle on ( LHS ) .
it just fired straight up .
so I,am curious to understand the relationship between the LHS , “ house bat ‘ “ that runs the main systems , when low throws CEL , s and the RHS little starter bat that in my car is never trickle charged but the thing seem to fire up !
Car is often left for weeks unattended with the trickle on the LHS only .

On boats they too have separate engine batts and domestic.
But only one charger that does both ,usually a split diode thingy that tops up the engine starter first then the domestic.
Like a Bentley there’s domestic load like fridges , lights , toilet pumps draining while the engines (alternator ) are off .
Obviously with the car scenario, it’s ECU ,s clock , alarm etc , fan runs after shut down , get home lights etc etc that drain some off with the engines off .
You get a cross over switch on a boat too , like on the B if you turn the key anti-clockwise, you link the domestic momentarily with the stater batts .

Hence my curiosity if the B is wired up in a similar fashion - one charger?. As I have never had to link both sets together and only the “ domestic “ is trickled often pretty long periods .

Last edited by John Fiammetta; 04-23-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:16 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
The batteries are separate, separate circuits. Charging one does not charge the other. The only moment the batteries are ever connected together is when the starter battery is flat, there is a process used with the ignition key that allows the main battery to "crossover" to assist in the start, then it is automatically disconnected when the key is released (in the run position).

I've posted this before recently, in this diagram, there is a "parallel battery connection relay" that is activated with the ignition key then the relay discharged once the engine starts. I keep my batteries on Ctek tenders when not in use; each on separate tenders.