Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Cup Holder (HELP)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:14 AM
jlad0826 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Dual Cup Holder (HELP)

I'm new to the forum and for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the dual cup holder (Over the Glove Box compartment). I searched everywhere but no luck, does anyone have a good how-to tread that are willing to share? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:07 PM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
So you're looking to remove (eliminate) the OEM tandem cup holder in your car? Do you have replacement trim or do you have another use for that space? Not quite sure what you're trying to do...

Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by skiracer13
So you're looking to remove (eliminate) the OEM tandem cup holder in your car? Do you have replacement trim or do you have another use for that space? Not quite sure what you're trying to do...

I have an original replacement, sorry for the confusion, I just need to remove the broken one, thanks for your reply!

Old 05-26-2019, 11:10 PM
RBeam6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you figure this out? It's the metal tabs on either side of the top that hold it in place.

I'm in the middle of a DIY to come up with a different look for the interior silver trim pieces so the cup holder is out of the car right now but should be putting it back in either today ... or soon ... and can provide some more pictures if the below isn't enough to get you there.
  1. Pop off the trim piece above the cupholder and you'll see about a 1/4 inch space above it
  2. Glove box open so you can grip the the cup holder
  3. Find something fairly sturdy to depress the tabs as it requires a bit of pressure
  4. One side at a time, pull the assembly towards you while pressing the tab down. You'll hear a little click when the "prongs" on the tab disengage so don't think pulling harder is the solution if you haven't heard the click.

I've had the thing out and put it back in again once already. Unlike a lot of these pieces where putting them back just requires applying pressure until you hear it click in place I was getting enough resistance that I pressed the tabs down while reinstalling it.

You may have to take out the right side vent as well but I'm not sure. I'm also fiddling with the trim on that so had taken it out first. One of the mounting screws for that is right above the cup holder (or in that vicinity) but I'm not sure if it actually would have blocked removing the cup holder.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:14 AM
Finally, figure it out!

I was able to remove the wood trim between the dashboard and the glove compartment and found the retainer clips, thank you for the help!!

Old 05-27-2019, 10:15 PM
RBeam6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good to hear you got it done.

Just as an FYI to anyone else that might be removing/installing the cup holders ... when I was plugging mine back in today found out you can just push it on both sides until you hear it click. No pressing on the clips (while re-installing) required.