Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

03 vanquish purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 01:36 PM
Swaplt is an unknown quantity at this point
03 vanquish purchase

I’m thinking of pulling trigger on an 03 vanquish. Has 23k miles and appears to be in excellent shape. Recent maintenance was fuel pumps replaced, coils, and spark plugs. What would be your big questions to ask? Is there something common to these V12 engines that would give you pause if it wasn’t addressed? Any and all help is appreciated.
Chris

Old 06-14-2019, 01:44 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Best gen 1 Vanquish info is at "forum.amoc.org". You'll need to register.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:45 PM
Thanks

Old 06-15-2019, 07:15 AM
Still waiting membership to AMOC. Pistonheads seemed split on the gearbox. Anyone else offer any advice?

Old 06-15-2019, 08:17 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Spend a couple days and read everything on the NP Vanquish sub forum of AMOC. If the trans is updated to the S spec, then it's worth $10k more than one that isn't. It has to be updated eventually.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Spend a couple days and read everything on the NP Vanquish sub forum of AMOC. If the trans is updated to the S spec, then it's worth $10k more than one that isn't. It has to be updated eventually.
Thank you! His price is low so my guess is no on the update. I wish I could access the AMOC forum. I might have to let this one go if I can’t ask the proper questions. He was open to an AM PPI, in your opinions would this catch most of the big questions. For instance, if the PPI says the trans is good stock but doesn’t tell me it needs upgraded to the S, it doesn’t really help me

Old 06-16-2019, 07:18 AM
DougM will become famous soon enough
The gearbox update is actually an update from hydraulic sensors to magnetic and the trans needs to be removed first. It does not need to be done unless the car is having shift issues. Supposedly mine was skipping 3rd gear. While the trans is out, you might as well replace the clutch with the updated single plate S version as well. I had this done to mine before I had it shipped because it was at a dealership with the correct tools. All in was @$10k but I sourced the clutch parts from overseas myself. The Aston dealer wanted almost $9k for the clutch. I got the same thing with the slave cyl delivered to the US for under $5k. My 2003 had 26,500 miles on the original clutch and still had life on it, but with the trans out for the sensor update, I decided to have it replaced.
Wonderful car. I have put around 3000 miles on it in 2 years. I just make sure to drive it like I stole it. The motor is high performance and does not want to be treated like a Cadillac.
When it comes down to it, the car, like most others is still put together with nuts and bolts. Except for certain procedures that my need special tooling, everything else is doable, even for a DIY person. Just may take a little more time than other cars.
Parts are expensive, but many wear items have been cross referenced over at AMOC for far less than those in a box with an Aston logo onit
I just replaced my AC compressor due to a faulty clutch. The Aston part is about $800. I found the exact Ford match at Autozone for $150. Many of the parts are from Ford and Jaguar from that era. The accessory belt tensioner actually has a Ford stamp on it.
Which car is the one you are looking at?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Thanks Doug!
I pressed him on the laundry list of recommended items to look for according to Pistonheads. He admits he has done no work on clutch or trans and that the AC is leaking Freon. He states that the car shifts as well as it did the day he bought it 10 years ago. I personally have never driven a Vanquish or any car with that type of transmission. It could be falling apart and I don’t know if I would catch it. It seems I’m facing a 10k service the question is when.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:55 AM
The transmission itself is pretty bulletproof. It is a T56 like the Viper and Corvette have from that era. The clutch is just a twin plate set up on the early cars which is NLA. That is why the upgrade is to install a single plate clutch fron the later S. Nothing special about it...just expensive.
The key to driving it is to drive it like you have a clutch pedal. Lift off the throttle when shifting and it works great. Downshifts are a blast because the car automatically "blips" the throttle to rev match and the noises it makes are race car sounding.
Regarding the AC. Again, nothing overly complicated about the system, but it can be difficult to get to everything. I would find out exactly where the leak is and get a repair quote.
The Vanquish currently has to be the best deal in the "supercar" world.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Dang it Doug your making me want this more than being scared of the repairs! Obviously it would just be my leisure weekend car. I’m in Texas so the AC is a must fix. This car has 20.5k on the odometer and is only a 2 owner. It could take years before the clutch goes or it could be tomorrow. If we played the possible repair game then the seller would end up paying me to take it off his hands

Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
There is a nice 17k miles 2005 Vanquish S with a new clutch on bring a trailer. Not sure how that fits your budget.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Saw that one. Using the receipts as bargaining tools. I’ve been burned by auctions. I’m not buying anything I can’t lay hands on.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Another common fault on these is sub frame corrosion (from salted roads) so the cars history and where it has lived is pretty important as I understand the sub frame issue is a mjor cost

good luck with your search

Graze

Old 06-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Most of the corrosion issues appear to be in Europe where it seems cars are driven more frequently an in all weather. Most of the US cars have low miles. Mine has 29k which is rather high for a US car and the underside looks like new.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DougM
Most of the corrosion issues appear to be in Europe where it seems cars are driven more frequently an in all weather. Most of the US cars have low miles. Mine has 29k which is rather high for a US car and the underside looks like new.
Doug

makes sense, I just know there is one here in sunny Queensland with corroded sub frame (UK import) and was wary of northern american cars, salted roads etc so thought I'd raise it

Cheers

Graeme

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 03 vanquish purchase