Thinking of getting a 991.1 GTS ... Any Thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:44 AM
hairpin is an unknown quantity at this point
Thinking of getting a 991.1 GTS ... Any Thoughts

Hey all, I'm new here, and have never owned a Porsche. I've always loved the car and it was my dream car for as long as I can remember. I'm now in a position in life where I can afford to get my dream car. I'm thinking about a 2015 911 GTS. The car has about 20,000 miles on it, and the CPO warranty expired -- I am not buying this from a Porsche dealer.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how I should go about evaluating the car? My goal for the purchase is to keep this car for as long as possible. I plan to drive maybe 5,000 miles a year, and keep her in excellent condition. I just want to avoid buying one that has been abused and not cared for. Any help would be great. I am planning to do a Porsche PPI, but not sure how in detail that is with regards to engine/clutch examination.

Also, could someone give me a ballpark on what it costs to maintain a gts? I have a sense but I want to make sure I'm not way off.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM
BT1
BT1 will become famous soon enough
Ppi

Make sure a PPI is done by an independent shop (not where you purchase) and includes a paint meter reading and body inspection. If you buy a manual ensure PPI includes black box over rev readings. This can tell you if a car has been tracked or a gear missed. I would consider a fidelity warranty (check rennlist for independent sellers). I would budget 2k per year for maitenance exluding tires. Look for a car that has had the door panels replaced as they are 6k and were faulty from the factory. CPO will cover these, fidelity or 3rd party warranties will not.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 PM
Bob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really nice
I take better care of my 2019 Targa GTS and I scraped the front lip going up a drive at an angle and I was going slow so that is not an indication of anything. Don't waste your time here and post a link to the car on the Rennlist 991 Forum and get better opinions. Or at least post it here so we can see the options, price, etc. Either way, good luck and while I have a 991.2 it is a great car.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Little Gator
My point is that the part condition is a indicator of care.
With all due respect, not really. Chin scrapes are pretty much unavoidable with this car. Negotiating curb cuts without scraping the chin is almost a 50/50 proposition, depending on the angle one is able to take and traffic conditions. In my experience, these scrapes are pretty much a fact of life. @OP, I enjoyed the hell out of my 2015 991 GTS. I kept up with maintenance and, except for the rear tires picking up a few nails, it gave me zero problems. I sold it for practical reasons this past January and even though it was the sensible thing to do I still miss the car.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:22 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
If you liek the GTS, then for sure drive the 3L twin turbo. For me there was no comparison and that sealed the deal. Also the new PCM. Im planning on keeping this for a long time so your decision making criteria might be different.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 AM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
I would recommend doing a full PPI on the car from a Porsche dealer that offers that nearby, they will do a full check on the car for you. But really PPI is half the story, you need to see the car in person, a lot of times pics look great until you get close up to the car. Review the carfax and also do an Autocheck. With 20K miles and CPO expired, you may need to look into extended warranty companies, even-though 991s are very solid built cars, driving one without a warranty is a bit scary due to high repair costs. I would highly recommend that you look for a CPO or one with a warranty.

I am selling a 2015 GTS with only 11K miles and extended warranty until 2022/48K miles in case you are interested, white on black, the car is in immaculate condition.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:43 PM
NY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PT Doc
If you liek the GTS, then for sure drive the 3L twin turbo. For me there was no comparison and that sealed the deal. Also the new PCM. Im planning on keeping this for a long time so your decision making criteria might be different.
You’re spot on. The base 991.2 Carrera is faster than the 991.1 GTS. My advice is to go looking for a PDK base Carrera with sport chrono package and sport exhaust. You’ll save money and have a faster car with all the newer tech.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:45 PM
kvb968 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ///armin
I would recommend doing a full PPI on the car from a Porsche dealer that offers that nearby, they will do a full check on the car for you. But really PPI is half the story, you need to see the car in person, a lot of times pics look great until you get close up to the car. Review the carfax and also do an Autocheck. With 20K miles and CPO expired, you may need to look into extended warranty companies, even-though 991s are very solid built cars, driving one without a warranty is a bit scary due to high repair costs. I would highly recommend that you look for a CPO or one with a warranty.

I am selling a 2015 GTS with only 11K miles and extended warranty until 2022/48K miles in case you are interested, white on black, the car is in immaculate condition.
Is your GTS still for sale? Manual transmission?