Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Regarding this condensation in tail light issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 AM
jf.houde is an unknown quantity at this point
Regarding this condensation in tail light issue

Hi,

I can see that this is a problem a lot of people have faced with their Vantage.

If I source a used one, it will eventually have condensation ...

If I order a new one at the dealer it's nearly 2000$

If I look on ebay in the Aston Martin Work store they say they have a newer and imporved version that resolve any condesation issue ...
I am wondering because they are the same price for a pair from ebay compare to the price of a single lamp from my dealer.

Is it true AM did a newer version that won't condensate in the futur?
Any advice?

Last edited by jf.houde; 06-20-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Please provide a link to the new and improved non-condensating tail light.. The original taillights, red or clear were produced by Magna in Canada. I had a set of 2006 build and replaced them with a set built in 2016 and there were no differences. .

I'm just happy that they are not DB11 tail lights at $8500 pair.

Last edited by BMW-North; 06-20-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:03 AM
divetheworld is on a distinguished road
About 2016 they changed the adhesive that bonds the lens to the body for something more reliable. There’s zero difference structurally between them.
One of the most common causes of failure is When fitting the lights, some individuals pull the outer edge against the rear wing panel which causes the lens to leak. It could happen at anytime and the owner or future owners end up wither issue.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
My 2017 V12S is a late build (a high VIN#) - both tail lights are bad - ordered new ones under warranty. My car was built (data plate) 06/17 so if the fix was in 2016 yu would think mine would not leak!

Old 06-20-2019, 02:12 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
Has anyone had success with resealing these lights? One of mine is starting to show signs when I wash my car. I would rather fix them now if there is a reliable adhesive others have used.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:45 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
I fixed any potential tail light condensation issue using the same approach used to fix the head lights, which ironically are made by the same manufacturer (Magna). Read here from Post #16 upward.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nsation-2.html

When I removed the original 2006 tail lights and examined them side by side with the new clear 2016 lights I could not see any improvements, but you say a new stronger adhesive may have been used? As I learned from reworking the headlights sealing from water penetration is only half the issue, letting the housing breathe is the second component that is necessary to avoid condensation. Like Matt in the thread linked, I’ve had no issues since reworking both headlights and tail lights and confidently drive in heavy rain and frequently wash the car without the concern I had prior.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 PM
dcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud of
Easy fix. Pull out tail light and drill 3 small holes holes in the bottom of the housing. Put a clear silicone around the housing to make it water proof. Within a day the lens should clear. I did this last month to my 2014 v8v. No more water condensation even when taken though an automatic wash.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
The issue is with how they're installed. If they're installed properly, you won't encounter condensation.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:04 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mathman85
The issue is with how they're installed. If they're installed properly, you won't encounter condensation.
This is what the post sale manager told me. Most are tightened too tight and it starts to pull the seal apart. I know they replaced mine 2 1/2 years ago and they're still clear. Now both headlights are a little fogged and one led strip is running at half power. I wish somebody would go into business fixing these things.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 AM
divetheworld is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
This is what the post sale manager told me. Most are tightened too tight and it starts to pull the seal apart. I know they replaced mine 2 1/2 years ago and they're still clear. Now both headlights are a little fogged and one led strip is running at half power. I wish somebody would go into business fixing these things.
Well, they kind of have.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:45 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Do they fix front LED's?? I'll call them tomorrow!

Old 06-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by divetheworld
The answer was no, that it's too risky opening the light to do the repair, some will break and that leaves them liable.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:20 PM
buckarooboy will become famous soon enough
I too have a problem with one of my LED headlight strips on my 2010 V8V; the light is clearly on but quite dim vs the other side. At times it comes to full brightness, at other times its right out. Tried to snake in a tube to the area and blow in compressed air with no result. this technique had been suggested in the shop manual. tried to blow air in via hairdryer. tried to pull the rear headlight access panel off and drive it for awhile, all to no avail. I wondered if this was an electrical connection problem vs a water problem. If its a water issue, i wonder why its periodic. Thought about drilling a small hole in the headlight and pumping air in that way
any insights would be appreciated Paul

Old 06-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Mine came back to full bright again Friday. It'll probably be out again the next time I notice, of back at half power. I would assume it has something to do with a bad contact or a capacitor going, but I'm not going to try and fix it because I don't have the diagnostic skill. Why I wish there was somebody you could just send these to to fix.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by Mathman85
Most lights have encountered issues installed as they came from the factory. Are you saying Aston Martin did not know how to install them properly?

I believe the real problem is the adhesive silicon bead used is intermittent. it looks like a dashed line.How do I know - I've taken them apart to apply new consistent beads - you get an inch or two every few inches where no adhesive (silicone) was applied - the entire lens is affixed with an intermittent application of silicone adhesive. If you leave the tail lights in loose when installing you will keep a good plastic to plastic contact (where the adhesive is absent) that might help keep water out but you may not be able to match up the body lines with the outline of the exterior lens. If you pull them tighter to match the body lines the plastic lens and housing separate more where there is NO silicone adhesive - that's exactly what happened on the assembly line as installers matched the body lines with the curvature, and why they have failed direct from factory without ever being removed. and replaced by owners. .

Exact same on the headlights - intermittent silicone adhesive. One of the reasons both the tail lights and headlight lenses come apart so easily. I didn't even need a heat gun to pull these apart. Absolutely pathetic quality - I'll never buy another car that uses Magna lighting fixtures.

They're fixable though (both headlights and tail lights) but you have to address both issues: Moisture penetration resistance and internal/external air exchange.

Last edited by BMW-North; 06-24-2019 at 07:46 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regarding this condensation in tail light issue