Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Downshifting the V12 just for the pops bangs and crackles - good or bad

Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 AM
topofthemorning is an unknown quantity at this point
Downshifting the V12 just for the pops bangs and crackles - good or bad

I'm addicted to the paddles, especially to downshift my DBS. Is this bad for the engine and does this wear out the transmission/clutch?
- understand general wear and tear but just curious to know if it's detrimental.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:11 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Shifting and revving are what the car is made to do. Does shifting wear the clutch? Yes. Does high RPM wear the engine faster? Yes, as long as the alternative isn't lugging it which is much worse. But are you trying to preserve the car or enjoy it?

Old 06-26-2019, 07:00 AM
Good point. Do you know how often the clutches need replacing and is there a rough cost to replacing one?

Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
ZF 6HP transmission

The modern DBS uses the same automatic transmission as the DB9;
See the following post:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-question.html
Use the link in post #3 for more detailed information.
Forum search is your friend...

Old 06-26-2019, 01:08 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Considering how much the car changes gears in Drive, I bet you shift less often in manual mode.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:25 PM
Wasn't aware that it was the same transmission as the DB9 thanks for sharing the post.

How about engaging in neutral (ie whilst coasting at a normal speed) in tunnels to blip the throttle. Does engaging neutral on the transmission damage it too?

Old 06-26-2019, 07:00 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by topofthemorning
Wasn't aware that it was the same transmission as the DB9 thanks for sharing the post.

How about engaging in neutral (ie whilst coasting at a normal speed) in tunnels to blip the throttle. Does engaging neutral on the transmission damage it too?
Nothing that you're describing is going to damage the car.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Nothing that you're describing is going to damage the car.
Thanks! First time Aston owner so wanted to ask the experts.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Going from drive to neutral shouldn't cause abnormal transmission wear.
However, going from neutral to "drive", depending on what speed you started at, and at what speed you re-engage, and what mode you're in, could cause additional wear and transmission damage.
Don't know if your DBS has rev-matching in the situation I'm describing.
Drive as you like, but be advised that "showing off" can often lead to multiple problems...just my humble opinion.

Last edited by DonL; 06-26-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-26-2019, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by DonL
Going from drive to neutral shouldn't cause abnormal transmission wear.
However, going from neutral to "drive", depending on what speed you started at, and at what speed you re-engage, and what mode you're in, could cause additional wear and transmission damage.
Don't know if your DBS has rev-matching in the situation I'm describing.
Drive as you like, but be advised that "showing off" can often lead to multiple problems...just my humble opinion.
Hmmm. You are right it's the reengaging back in to gear from neutral. Not sure about rev matching either.

Not showing off personally. my two year old in the back seat loves it when the exhaust goes off. She's like "wow" and has the cutest smile.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:25 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Just don't downshift into 1st is the biggest thing. I love the manual mode on my Rapide. Especially with the valves open; I don't miss a manual at all.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by topofthemorning
Hmmm. You are right it's the reengaging back in to gear from neutral. Not sure about rev matching either.

Not showing off personally. my two year old in the back seat loves it when the exhaust goes off. She's like "wow" and has the cutest smile.
One of the multitude of reasons why we purchased an Aston Martin and enjoy driving the same .

Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
I found that when going to neutral while moving mine never re-engaged any lower than 5th no matter what speed I was doing.

Discovered on my first track day that when I downshifted at too high an rpm the transmission basically waited till I had slowed a bit before engaging the next lower gear. No way to overrev when downshifting, at least on mine - 2009 DB9.