Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Crystal Key pushed in ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 PM
dcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud of
Crystal Key pushed in ignition

Curious...what would happen if the key is accidentally pushed while driving? Would it shut off the car and stop in its tracks or is there a safety switch to where it would not come out and go into park.
It was a thought while i was driving this evening with my son. Many buttons around the ignition key.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:37 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Just like any other car, the ignition turns off. Would you not want to be able to turn the engine off??

Old 06-26-2019, 06:54 AM
dcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Just like any other car, the ignition turns off. Would you not want to be able to turn the engine off??
Thanks for reply but that is not the question i was asking. While driving would it come out. Say your going 65mph and you accidentally hit it and it pushes in and pops out...

Old 06-26-2019, 08:05 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dcarrer0
Thanks for reply but that is not the question i was asking. While driving would it come out. Say your going 65mph and you accidentally hit it and it pushes in and pops out...
Try it and let us know what happens...

Old 06-26-2019, 12:48 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
yes it would come out... DONT TOUCH IT!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by sonies
yes it would come out... DONT TOUCH IT!
Ok that's not really good. Maybe they should have thought that through a little more. Thank you for the advice!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:55 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Ok that's not really good. Maybe they should have thought that through a little more. Thank you for the advice!
thought what through? that people could possibly be completely so retarded and do the equivalent of taking their keys out of the ignition while driving?

Old 06-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by sonies
thought what through? that people could possibly be completely so retarded and do the equivalent of taking their keys out of the ignition while driving?
No just accidentally hitting it or pushing it in. Maybe a passenger or someone...maybe a child.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
If General Motors had a crystal key - you better believe their hundreds or thousands of software developers would say, what if someone were to remove the crystal key inadvertently. Astons a wee bit smaller than the main competitors, and the crystal key unique to our generation models, so I wouldn't take any chances that their systems in place thought of all worse case scenarios. My advice if you want to test it, do so at a crawl, to minimize damage. If you do post it here so we all know.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:06 PM
chriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nice
I can confirm the 6MT won't restart while moving, hence the popping out the key and putting it back in relation to the question. The shut-down modes my 9 would go into (crash, emissions, etc) when I had the Antigravity battery in it, would require you to come to a complete stop before restarting. Every manual I've ever had could be restarted while moving. Boo.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:53 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Let's look at this in a different way as another problem...
Consider the Toyota "stuck throttle" issue that happened some years ago.
I have a 2007 Vantage with the ignition key on the steering column; if my car suddenly went to "full throttle" I could turn the key one position back (towards the driver) to "kill the engine", but I would still be able to steer the car, albeit without power steering and brakes.
What is the proper response for this situation for the "Crystal key" Aston Martin models?
Has anyone checked the owners manual for what is recommended in that event?
Just curious as a discussion point...and as a safety matter!

Last edited by DonL; 06-26-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: transposition