Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Considering 2011-2015 Vantage

Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM
rjctt is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering 2011-2015 Vantage

I am considering a 2011-2015 Vantage V8 or V12. First a little bit of background. We are currently a Porsche family consisting of Cayenne Turbo (mine) and Panamera GTS (wife). Extremely happy with them – the beauty, ride, build quality, reliability. Panamera is wife’s car that I drive occasionally during the weekend. It is such a fun ride, there is a sense of occasion. Exhaust note adds so much to the driving experience. I am casually looking for a 3rd car for weekend drives – something that is very fun to drive, beautiful, awesome build quality (like contrast stitching, alcantara, carbon fiber trim), intoxicating exhaust note. It needs to have a sense of occasion. Budget is 100K. Will be driven 5K miles/year max.

Vantage has many of the attributes. V12S appear to be more special in terms of interior quality. I will be test driving soon. I hear they are very expensive to maintain and not very reliable. Also tech is very dated. Besides gas and insurance, how much would be maintenance cost per year? How difficult to sell them in few years?

How is Rapide? Charm of a V12. There are couple of them in 70-80K range, even lower priced than Vantage.
How is Jaguar F-type with V8?
How is Mercedes AMG GT Coupe?

Other options that were considered
------------------------------------------------

911 – not considering since we already have 2 Porsches.
Lambo, Ferrari, Mclaren – too hard core and above budget
Benteley GT – very heavy, more GT than sports car. Vantage looks much better
Maserati GT – poor quality, dated

Any other options to consider?

Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 AM
alexyy1212 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had an 2016 f type R AWD. It's pretty, exhaust note is sick. It's fast, 0-60 mid 3s. Great traction due to AWD, always feel in control. And it's within your budget. And despite being a jag, I had zero reliability issue with it. In 3 yrs and after 34000 miles, I only went to the dealer for annual service and changing tires.

I have heard great things about AMG GT. Due to RWD, can't get power down very well initially, but I heard once it hooks up the tarmac, it's great fun.

I have seen a few vantage v12 at the dealership, not bad, but interior does feel date. However, it does have automated manual and a V12, so I think those do make up for its shortcomings.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:45 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
How will you be using the car? What are you looking for out of your sports car? Are you looking for something with a more analog, connected driving experience or are you interested in something that is more easy to drive and can maybe go faster around a track? Are you looking for a manual or automatic transmission? Do you track it?

Old 07-19-2019, 01:16 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I test drove an F-type R and considered it until they told me my trade in value for my Vantage... lol

It is much faster than the Vantage, the exhaust note is well done, but the interior is nowhere near as nice though, and you can't get it in a stick although the automatic they have is ok

I changed my mind and am keeping my vantage and will probably just make the exhaust louder on it because my 2010.5 is pretty quiet

People also are way more receptive and nice about your vantage rather than a jag too, most folks know its a special car, vs just another jag

if it were my 100k budget I would consider a 2011 or 2012 V12 vantage manual

Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've had 3 V8 Vantages and 3 V12S - There is zero truth that a V8 is less expensive to maintain than a V12S - The annual warranty extensions are similar prices (not enough to make a difference) as well as the annual inspections from an Aston Martin dealer. A word of caution - Timeless Certified protects you because of the warranty (I have the dealer throw an extra year in as part of the negotiations) - but be very aware that if the previous owner was in fact Aston martin corporate they pass tracked cars off as Timeless Certified. I bought a 22,000 mile such car, and found that it was a 'testing' vehicle in England the entire time, not disclosed and that Aston Martin had 'lost' all of the records on the car. I demanded they cure the deception and traded me for a locally owned V12S - which they did with 8,000 'easy' miles of a known older owner. Guess what? The deceptive car was back on the lot as timeless certified gain, but the next owner was aware of the past - within a few weeks the engine blew up, and in the two years since then it's been in the shop half it's life. The new trade I had (the replacement car) had zero issues in the two years I owned it - none. I recently traded that in for a 2017 V12S - again certified but with 160 total miles with 3 1/2 years warranty. Before I got it, the dealer inspected it and found a defective clutch, and since I've had it two new tail lights (common to all Astons) and they are replacing the entire mechanism under warranty that is the pop-up screen because it has an irritating buzz. I put 3,000 otherwise trouble free miles.

If your spending $100K get a certified V12S - as far as the 'older interior - there has never been a sportscar of any type that feels more elegant inside than the previous Aston Martins - period. Honestly, the V8's are more fun to drive - the V12S is far more 'special' and rare, so if you keep onto it it could increase in value more than the V8's (maybe).

I pay about $1K more annually for insurance as it's a higher value - not sure because it's a V12, and the gas mileage sucks (maybe 12MPG in city driving - and I think I got 17MPG average on a 4th of July trip from Minneapolis to Detroit and back.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I intend to use during weekend, mostly city and freeway driving. Automatic transmission and no track use.

I just drove 2016 V8 and 2015 V12S Vantage back to back. Each drive was 10 mins on city roads, I could open the throttle a bit. During the short drive, I liked the V8 more because it feels quite fast enough with the combination of loud exhaust, more balanced in the twists and turns, nimbler. At those speeds it felt as fast as V12. Dealer said V12 is faster in 80-150 mph range. V12 has a tendency to spin upon hard acceleration, feels heavier. And certainly louder. V12 does have broader selection of options. Based on the short drive, V8 is the winner for me. Plus easier on wallet. Perhaps I am a small minority here ��

Vantage is so visceral. Few years ago I had driven 2014 Ferrari California and FF, 2014 911 Turbo. I think I like Vantage more. It feels like the absolute acceleration/speed doesn’t matter as much as the combination of acceleration, balance, responsiveness, sound. What other car comes close to that “raw” feeling? Open to ideas..

Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
As I said before that you also found out - the V8 is more of a fun car - and fast enough, so I'd agree 100%. Also to enjoy the sound, you need to lay into the gas pedal somewhat, and on the V12S it means war with traction control (brake wear) or spinning the tires with traction off. I simply don't drive the car as aggressively as I did with the V8's I had (at one time considered downsizing back to a V8). The V12S finishes are all top of the line, but if you find a V8S - that also is pretty much the same. I had a V8GT which is essentially a V8S with cheaper leather and trim - also a great bargain, and just as fun to drive. If your looking for a V8 - look for a GT or S - certified with a good history.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rjctt
Thanks for the feedback. I intend to use during weekend, mostly city and freeway driving. Automatic transmission and no track use.

I just drove 2016 V8 and 2015 V12S Vantage back to back. Each drive was 10 mins on city roads, I could open the throttle a bit. During the short drive, I liked the V8 more because it feels quite fast enough with the combination of loud exhaust, more balanced in the twists and turns, nimbler. At those speeds it felt as fast as V12. Dealer said V12 is faster in 80-150 mph range. V12 has a tendency to spin upon hard acceleration, feels heavier. And certainly louder. V12 does have broader selection of options. Based on the short drive, V8 is the winner for me. Plus easier on wallet. Perhaps I am a small minority here ��

Vantage is so visceral. Few years ago I had driven 2014 Ferrari California and FF, 2014 911 Turbo. I think I like Vantage more. It feels like the absolute acceleration/speed doesn’t matter as much as the combination of acceleration, balance, responsiveness, sound. What other car comes close to that “raw” feeling? Open to ideas..
If you like to feel connected to the machine with a bit of a raw feel, you need to try an Evora 400. It's finish isn't to the level of the Aston but it's got amazing mid-engine sight lines and seating position and is just a wonderful car to drive.

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-20-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 AM
V12 Vantages have a higher finish level. More carbon fiber, alcantara, black trims to my liking. It is certainly wilder, edgier and louder. Clear winner so far.

On the other hand, V12 seems to have traction problem or so I felt. During the test drive yesterday, couple of times the rear was close to spinning/"loose feeling" upon hard acceleration when there was a slight bent on the road. Also it felt nose heavy, and less balanced than V8. Likewise on my Panamera GTS, I can drive it aggressively and it always feels planted like the V8 Vantage. V12 owners: how do you deal with it?

Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 AM
I first drove a V12 Vantage in 2011 when they first came out in about 50 degree Minneapolis weather - with 510HP it was difficult in stop & go traffic and around corners not to have the tires break loose or slide around corners. After about 15 minutes behind the wheel I returned the car with a firm - nice, but no thanks. Much of the problem comes from the Vantage stock tires which are terrible in cold weather made far worse with a lot more power and a manual clutch. In warmer weather I took another V12 Vantage spin and did a bit of an unintentional power slide at the highway intersection near my office. I traded my V8 GT (which I really loved except the cut rate leather quality) on a V12S and was pleasantly surprised that even with much more power it did not seem to slip and slide, even in colder weather as much as the V12 Vantage experience - still can't hammer on the car as much as the V8's. One thing though is that the V8's had wider 20" wheels and tires with Pilot Super Sports, vs. stock rims and tires on my V12S's. Did you drive a V12 Vantage (6-speed) - a V12S 7-Speed, - or a V12S Sportshift Vantage?

Old 07-20-2019, 11:09 AM
These are the cars I drove yesterday

https://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-cars/detail/2016-Aston-Martin-V8-Vantage-GT-Coupe/995/SCFEKBAL3GGC20128]2016 V8 Vantage GT Coupe
https://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-cars/detail/2015-Aston-Martin-V12-Vantage-S-Coupe/995/SCFEKBCR6FGS01814]2015 V12S Vantage Coupe

This is the kind of https://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-cars/detail/2017-Aston-Martin-V12-Vantage-S-Coupe/995/SCFEKBCR7HGS02991]finishes I desire, easier to find on V12 than the V8. The upgraded wheels, red calipers, interior

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-22-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:30 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
it's a better weekend car than a daily driver for sure. so since it's going to be your 3rd car for the weekend. for that it'll be perfect whether it's v8 or the v12. the v12 sounds a lot more like a Ferrari V12. but the V8 is best V8 sounding i've heard and this is coming from a guy who was a die-hard muscle car in the past. i've driven mine daily for more than a year and finally decided that i am going to get another daily driver now. as much as i love my v8 vantage, it punishes you in every way when you're not driving anything but fast or around the canyon. this is especially true for the Sprotshift, which is what i have. on the freeway or canyon, the sportshift is sweeter than honey. the combination of fast shifting and exhaust note, which sounds more akin to the British WWII spitfire, just puts a smile on your face. but when you're not driving in those two above conditions, the sportshift really punishes you. it's clunky, lurches sometimes, and rough. and this is with already a twin plate clutch upgrade, which made all of that better. but it's the same lipstick on a pig analogy. around town in low speeds, the transmission is still a pig. i am so glad that they finally moved on from the Graziano transmission and onto the ZF. this thing is just meant for the track.

but once again, that's because i drive it daily as a daily driver. like mentioned, above, i too almost traded it in for a Jag Ftype R, but believe it or not, i got cold feet and couldn't go through with it. the sale person was laughing at me cause i had an anxiety attack and couldn't pull myself to let the car go. the mechanic who test drove my car during inspection actually told me that he liked my car better than the i8 that i was also thinking about replacing the vantage with. the twin plate clutch i put in there with the light weight flywheel shifts faster than any other vantage that he's driven.

maintenance is expensive. compare to Germans, the British stable is going to be more expensive and will "likely" go wrong more easily than the German stable of cars. and this is coming from the owner of exotic who sold me the car and i almost traded it back for an i8. but if you get the V12, it'll already have the twin plate cluch in there. so that's single most expensive repair, which you'll eventually have to go through with the V8. the single plate clutch that got put into the V8 is IMO a mistake. bad enough that they chose the Graziano trans, even worse that they put in the single plate. average clutch life expectancy for the single plate in v8 is 15,000 miles if you live in the city for a sportshift. twice that easily if you pick up a fully manual. but with the twin plate, "supposedly" it's almost a life time clutch, i say almost because thus far we haven't seen anyone gone back for a replacement yet. anual service is anywhere between $1000~$1500 depends on where you go. Dealer price is $1500. but that doesn't include major work, just oil change, filter, and inspection etc. every two years a brake fluid flush is required, every 4 years gear oil change is required. every 5 years coolant flush is required. but none of that is more expensive than the clutch replacement, which is $6000 plus tax etc. like i said, if you get a v8, factor in the cost of a twin plate clutch upgrade and be done with it. even better, if you can find a forum member selling their V8 with a twin plate already in, that'll be even better so that you won't have to think about that ticking time bomb.

lastly, the driving is the most analogue feel i've ever experienced. and if you're very used to the cold and precise feel of dual clutch or modern day automatic, the transmission of this car will once again drive you nuts. even with the sportshift, which is computer modulated clutch control engagement, the feel is still VERY analogue and NOT very precise feel like a dual clutch or Auto. and yes, sometimes that drives me nuts because i am actually OCD. the steering is uniquely the best i've ever experienced in any car. absolutely ZERO body sway, completely FLAT in corners. but the suspension is harsh. again, this car is really imo a track car that can be driven on the road, vs a road car that can be driven on the track like for example a regular 911 carerra.

electronics gremlins = part of the English charm and fact of Aston life. just have to deal with it. Gas cap will often fail to open. but Aston has built a backup release valve underneath in the trunk, instead of fixing the actual problem. Nav DVD door in trunk will slide due to vibration, and will take out the Nav system along with AC unit read-out screen. but you just have to pop the trunk and tape the nav dvd door shut and it won't happen ever again. checking oil level is an entire ceremony itself. start the car, rev the engine up to 2K, count 20~30 seconds. shut it off, and count another 30 seconds, check the level. also non of the temp/oil read-out gauges has any actual numbers, just lines. again, goes back to what i was saying, a very analogue and un-precise car.

all in all, get it as a weekend driver, you'll be a lot happier, because you'll be driving it more often in the most ideal condition. and you'll be less stressed.
i am now looking at a used M3 or a newer version of 228i with sport package as DD.

all in all, it's like driving a timeless museum piece of art that gives you a tremendous amount of analogue joy when everything works as they should. but when they don't, it stresses you out. i'd say get it, and experience it yourself because you have the means, everyone should.

Last edited by howzz1854; 07-20-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:49 PM
The 2016 Vantage GT - you should look at a GTS or a Vantage S - a V12S higher grade finishes

Old 07-20-2019, 06:29 PM
After reading the extensive write up from howz1844 - we all have our own experiences - the first Sportshift I had was a 2009 V8 (not an S) after having a 2007 manual V8 - the Sportshift in [D] mode is pretty much worthless no matter which version - good only to have a Valet park your car - you drive these cars as if a manual modulating the gas and using the paddles to shift - manually - the next Sportshift was a 2015 GT - no complaints on the 2009 - but very much improved Sportshift II. My V12S has the Sportshift III - a bit smoother, but all versions I thought OK, with the II and the III having hill assist and a light blinking during the clutch learn. My V12S does NOT have a dual clutch - I also thought they did, but do not. My previous 2009 with the Sportshift clutch was first replaced at 60,000 miles and I put about 20,000 city miles on it and the previous owner put 30,000 miles on the original clutch - it was the next owner after me that finally replaced the clutch, so not sure what 15,000 miles comes from. I think it's how the car is driven (wrong) and/or some clutches I think were defective - my 2017 V12S clutch was bad right from the factory and that's not the only 2017 I heard had to have a new clutch on delivery. The 2016 GT you are looking at has the new panel like my 2017 - another V12S in Minneapolis has the same problem I'm having - every once in a great while (about 1 in 30 drives) the radio refuses to work unless you turn the car on and off again - and that problem is not reported to Aston apparently because they are not aware of a fix. I kinda like my old 2015 v12S and earlier setup better even though it does look cool. The best part of the 2017 (and you'll find some 'new' at not too much over $100K) is that it can wake up in 'Sport mode' and has Apple Car Play (maybe possible on that 2016?). My 2015 V8GT also could default in Sport Mode - nice, but my 2015 V12S could not - not nice. Anyway with two V8's and 3 V12S's with sportshift at least to me I enjoyed everyone.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:36 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
After reading the extensive write up from howz1844 - we all have our own experiences - the first Sportshift I had was a 2009 V8 (not an S) after having a 2007 manual V8 - the Sportshift in [D] mode is pretty much worthless no matter which version - good only to have a Valet park your car - you drive these cars as if a manual modulating the gas and using the paddles to shift - manually - the next Sportshift was a 2015 GT - no complaints on the 2009 - but very much improved Sportshift II. My V12S has the Sportshift III - a bit smoother, but all versions I thought OK, with the II and the III having hill assist and a light blinking during the clutch learn. My V12S does NOT have a dual clutch - I also thought they did, but do not. My previous 2009 with the Sportshift clutch was first replaced at 60,000 miles and I put about 20,000 city miles on it and the previous owner put 30,000 miles on the original clutch - it was the next owner after me that finally replaced the clutch, so not sure what 15,000 miles comes from. I think it's how the car is driven (wrong) and/or some clutches I think were defective - my 2017 V12S clutch was bad right from the factory and that's not the only 2017 I heard had to have a new clutch on delivery. The 2016 GT you are looking at has the new panel like my 2017 - another V12S in Minneapolis has the same problem I'm having - every once in a great while (about 1 in 30 drives) the radio refuses to work unless you turn the car on and off again - and that problem is not reported to Aston apparently because they are not aware of a fix. I kinda like my old 2015 v12S and earlier setup better even though it does look cool. The best part of the 2017 (and you'll find some 'new' at not too much over $100K) is that it can wake up in 'Sport mode' and has Apple Car Play (maybe possible on that 2016?). My 2015 V8GT also could default in Sport Mode - nice, but my 2015 V12S could not - not nice. Anyway with two V8's and 3 V12S's with sportshift at least to me I enjoyed everyone.
i daily drive mine in paddle mode and clutch learn everytime. it's still not as smooth as a true dual clutch or automatic, but the twin plate is a lot better than the single plate.

the 15,000 miles is in a big city like Los Angeles, which is officially now the worst traffic in the country. lots of different quoted range around the country from 5K to 60K miles, with lots of ASM 1 owners here reporting 12K or 24K, i did see one reported 50K in the mid west. so your 60K is REALLY impressive. but i am just speaking in terms of living in a city like Los Angeles. and that number isn't coming from me, it's quoted by my mechanic who works on all british sports car and have done a lot of clutch replacements for Vantages. he said 15K is normally what he sees cars coming in for replacement, again in Los Angeles. but for the record, i replaced mine at 18K, prob could have stretched it out to 20K. most of the previous 13K miles was done by previous owner. so he was impressed that i milked another 5K out of that thing. so if anything, i actually was a lot easier on the clutch than the previous guy(s).

Last edited by howzz1854; 07-20-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering 2011-2015 Vantage