Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DC01 Ring Break Detected! Which Parts to use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:27 AM
PIBillock is an unknown quantity at this point
Question DC01 Ring Break Detected! Which Parts to use?

Hello all.

I have the DC01 Ring Break Detected code.

I am curious if anyone out there has had to rebuild the 4.3 Vantage power plant. I know I have heard a lot of talk about it being a parts bin car and that the internals are straight from the extras from Ford. Does anyone know what parts are being used to rebuild? Such as:

Rods
Pistons
Bearings
Etc....

Old 07-20-2019, 08:26 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
If piston ring codes actually existed, it would solve everything that an engine builder would love for an easy diagnosis. That code is more likely referring to your audio system as to the fiber optic connection being at fault.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:40 AM
AM4884 will become famous soon enoughAM4884 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by J doubleU
If piston ring codes actually existed, it would solve everything that an engine builder would love for an easy diagnosis. That code is more likely referring to your audio system as to the fiber optic connection being at fault.
+1

But, to answer your question (which isn't why you are getting a fault code), I am in the midst of rebuilding the V12 in my DB9. It's turning out the way I expected. The Block, Crank, Heads, gaskets to fit, and a small % of the engine is "custom". The vast majority is sourced from the world wide global supply chain of auto parts. The fun has been figuring out where to intercept that parts chain, and then making sure I don't use low quality replacement parts like I might if it was a 89 Honda Civic... I always price parts as to how much of a PITA it will be to get back to replace it...

For the DB9, the V12 is actually listed in the Ford Motor Catalog as the 6.0L V-12, and it shares much (all) with a 2005 Ford Escape. So when AM shows a $300-$400 Connecting Rod, they are value adding a $25.00 Ford OEM conn rod. A +.5mm Piston is $39 from Ford, and so on. The crank was reground/polished/straightened just like you would any other crank (but I did send it to "the one guy" in the US to have it done).

My personal "dilemma" is the oil pump. They costs $1500 or so new. The one in my motor can easily be taken apart and cleaned. Gears look good, and can easily be replaced, as can the shims. It's just a Ford Duratec crank driven oil pump... It's also the heart of the motor... I will need to "choose wisely". But, given that the camshafts and heads are across the country getting love, I have some time to finish the short block!

Old 07-21-2019, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by AM4884
+1

But, to answer your question (which isn't why you are getting a fault code), I am in the midst of rebuilding the V12 in my DB9. It's turning out the way I expected. The Block, Crank, Heads, gaskets to fit, and a small % of the engine is "custom". The vast majority is sourced from the world wide global supply chain of auto parts. The fun has been figuring out where to intercept that parts chain, and then making sure I don't use low quality replacement parts like I might if it was a 89 Honda Civic... I always price parts as to how much of a PITA it will be to get back to replace it...

For the DB9, the V12 is actually listed in the Ford Motor Catalog as the 6.0L V-12, and it shares much (all) with a 2005 Ford Escape. So when AM shows a $300-$400 Connecting Rod, they are value adding a $25.00 Ford OEM conn rod. A +.5mm Piston is $39 from Ford, and so on. The crank was reground/polished/straightened just like you would any other crank (but I did send it to "the one guy" in the US to have it done).

My personal "dilemma" is the oil pump. They costs $1500 or so new. The one in my motor can easily be taken apart and cleaned. Gears look good, and can easily be replaced, as can the shims. It's just a Ford Duratec crank driven oil pump... It's also the heart of the motor... I will need to "choose wisely". But, given that the camshafts and heads are across the country getting love, I have some time to finish the short block!
Thank you. So, if the V12 is in there as the 6.0, is there something that would be the same as the 4.3 AM? I would like to think that there are basic measurements that would allow cross-referencing at least, I have not been able to really do that.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
There is a very detailed thread on here of a v8 rebuild. Really great info. Do a search.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:15 PM
AM4884 will become famous soon enoughAM4884 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
There is a very detailed thread on here of a v8 rebuild. Really great info. Do a search.
+1

It is not for the faint of heart or mechanically disinclined. While not complicated, there is very little virtual support like there would be for a Porsche or BMW...

Old 07-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by AM4884
+1

It is not for the faint of heart or mechanically disinclined. While not complicated, there is very little virtual support like there would be for a Porsche or BMW...
I understand. I certainly can handle the mechanical part of it. I was curious if there were some tutorials on the removal of the motor. I have searched and I did find a rebuild on a v12 from a DB9, that was about it.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:58 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of