Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Battery replacement V8V using H7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM
geodavky is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery replacement V8V using H7

I seem to recall that l read somewhere that you could use an H7 as a replacement in the V8V, but now I cannot find where. The H7 Interstate is a bit smaller, but has more cranking amps. Thoughts?

Old 07-21-2019, 04:37 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
I'd say you could pretty much use any 12v DC battery that you could fit in there - Not sure what year your V8V is but mine (2006) has no battery registration requirement nor any intelligent charging system that requires a specific battery spec.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about

The OEM battery hold down clamps on the bottom of the battery .. see picture.. note the square-ish lip along the long side.. Take a look at it before you buy a different physical size. Duracell (and others) make an exact replacement size available at regular battery places. Make sure it has not been on the shelf too long.. They should know what the date code is. I got to change mine twice since the first was too old. It is a PITA job.

The OEM battery is crazy big. You may want to look at redpant's light weight solution and new mount.

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 07-22-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Batteries with the same front to back measurement will fit as long as they have the lip on the bottom shown in the pic. The stock batteries are really long and you could theoretically use one not as long provided the cables will reach the posts. I considered doing this when I needed a new battery, but just wound up going with the stock size as I needed one quickly. If you don't want to do some measuring and research to make sure a different size will work then just go with the stock size.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 PM
chriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nice
I put a AGM H6 in my DB9 to save a little weight, after it didn't like the Anti-Gravity LiOn I'd put in. Anyway, while the OEM battery is H8, you can also shrink the width to H7 or H6 if you like. The bottom cleat and the height and depth are the same.

Since I decided I didn't need as much cranking since my v12 doesn't see the cold months, I'd also recommend a H6 if you don't winter drive your v8.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:42 PM
smdzucladoc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chriscmore
I put a AGM H6 in my DB9 to save a little weight, after it didn't like the Anti-Gravity LiOn I'd put in. Anyway, while the OEM battery is H8, you can also shrink the width to H7 or H6 if you like. The bottom cleat and the height and depth are the same.

Since I decided I didn't need as much cranking since my v12 doesn't see the cold months, I'd also recommend a H6 if you don't winter drive your v8.
Just curious what issues did you have with the antigravity? I was thinking about going that route vs redpants braille setup.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:53 PM
chriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nice
Originally Posted by smdzucladoc
Just curious what issues did you have with the antigravity? I was thinking about going that route vs redpants braille setup.
My DB9 hated it. The first trip I took after coasting around 50 mpg for 10 minutes, suddenly went into "crash mode", tightening up the belts and shutting off the engine. That was jarring. Then on later trips I couldn't even get out of the neighborhood before "ADS failure" or "Emissions fault" or whatever forced the engine to limp and taper down forcing me to pull over and restart. This year the wife didn't take the car on any trips because she didn't trust it.

Suspecting the new AntiGravity LiOn battery was somehow incompatible, I swapped it for a H6 AGM from Sam's Club and it's not failed since. The Emissions fault takes a while to clear out but at least it wasn't forcing a shutdown. I sent the LiOn back and they tested it and it passed so they refunded the purchase.

I wanted to like it but it was doing something to the car that the AM bus didn't like. Either the battery's smarts were placing some ac signal on the dc lines, or maybe the recharge profile was unknown to the car.

I like the Braille battery if saving those pounds were that critical, e.g. tracking it. Otherwise I think it's a little undersized, at least for a v12, since its specs are quite a bit lower than a H6. So I thought the H6 saved a few pounds without going sacrificing too much CCA.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:57 PM
geodavky is an unknown quantity at this point
Good idea to make sure the cables will reach! The H7 is same size except length (it’s shorter) and it does have the lip at the bottom. So cable to battery length could be a problem.

Originally Posted by davidm17
Batteries with the same front to back measurement will fit as long as they have the lip on the bottom shown in the pic. The stock batteries are really long and you could theoretically use one not as long provided the cables will reach the posts. I considered doing this when I needed a new battery, but just wound up going with the stock size as I needed one quickly. If you don't want to do some measuring and research to make sure a different size will work then just go with the stock size.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I have had the antigravity set up in my vantage since December with zero issues. Saved me 42 pounds!!