California People: got a question regarding registration of "used" car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
California People: got a question regarding registration of "used" car

I have a California buyer for a car that I am selling. The car has been previously titled in the state of Florida and has UNDER 7500 miles. It is 50 state legal but the potential new owner is telling me that he cannot register the car unless it has 7500 miles. Is this just an excuse? or was he told some inaccurate info? From what I understand, this person is very interested in buying it, but this is the only hold up. Is there any way around this? I thought I read online that if a "used" car is under 7500 miles, it would need to be sold as a "new" car. I cant imagine that all exotic cars that come into cali from other states need to be over 7500 miles. Thank you in advance for the help!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I have never heard of this. That is strange. I'll check today and get back with you. On first blush, this information is bad.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
yep, thats what I thought. Thank you guys. +1 rep for both of you.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
davidTT is on a distinguished road
I bought 2 cars from out of state sellers and both with less than 7500 miles. It's no problem to register them here in Socal.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:13 PM
thanks... looks like the buyer was just making an excuse to get out of the purchase... It really continues to surprise me what people will try to use as an excuse. Ehh, his loss, the car is being sold below wholesale at this point.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:20 PM
earlymidlifecri is on a distinguished road
It looks like the guy is telling you the truth from what the DMV website says (see E.Coli's post). What buying a new car means is that he would have to pay a luxury tax and a gas guzzler tax. On top of which, VLF's will be rising substantially.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by earlymidlifecri
It looks like the guy is telling you the truth from what the DMV website says (see E.Coli's post). What buying a new car means is that he would have to pay a luxury tax and a gas guzzler tax. On top of which, VLF's will be rising substantially.

Thanks for you r help! And you are correct, it would have to be sold as a new car. Any idea what the luxury tax and gas guzzler taxes are in CA? I didnt happen to see that on the link

Old 02-28-2009, 05:12 PM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
Thanks for you r help! And you are correct, it would have to be sold as a new car. Any idea what the luxury tax and gas guzzler taxes are in CA? I didnt happen to see that on the link
Mark try this link , it will give you an estimate:

https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorW...esidentForm.do

As you know it looks like the buyer can register the vehicle but only as new. I've included another link that should answer any more questions you might have.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Besides being broke (damn budget deficit!) aren't we Californians a pain the ***?

Good luck with the sale!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:34 PM
thank you so much. I will look more closely at the links when i get a chance. It looks like another buyer is lined up. +1 rep for you.