6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   SoCal (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/socal-89/)
-   -   Fix it Ticket for no plates-but the DMV haven't sent my my plates!!! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/socal/244127-fix-ticket-no-plates-but-dmv-havent-sent-my-my-plates.html)

shifterkartracr 05-13-2011 12:56 AM

Fix it Ticket for no plates-but the DMV haven't sent my my plates!!!

Long story short, I got popped (fix it ticket) for no plates this evening but I purchased the car with no plates and the DMV hasn't sent me my new plates. I purchased an 06 Cayman back in Feb but my plates haven't arrived yet and according to my Fiancee's bro in law who works at the DMV, its been taking 3-4 months to get the new plates. My question is how do I get it fixed if I dont have my plates yet? I told the deputy about the delay at the DMV and he didnt wanna hear it..:mad:

What pissed me off more is that his first comment when he (young rookie looking deputy) approached me was what did I do for a living and how can he get a car like that!!! :eek: .. dude seriously??? Very unfreekinprofessional if you'd ask me!!! I just told him very politely that salarywise, he probably makes more than I did just to shut him up... what a ******bag!!!:mad:

Sorry about my rant but is there any way around this???

Thanks in advance!!!

djantlive 05-13-2011 01:50 AM

if you registered the car, didn't dmv give you a sticker? if so, you can take that and have the ticket dismissed. how did the officer issue you a ticket with the sticker?

if you didn't have a sticker, you do have to wait until the plates arrive. you can request for an extension on court date or fix it date. you are entitled to 1 continuance / extension.

rsa supra 05-13-2011 08:28 AM

Ditto, you'll just have to call in and ask for an extension. You should be able to get 2 over the phone.

shifterkartracr 05-13-2011 09:41 AM

Thank you for the advice fellas.. I will do the extension and will find out from the DMV. As far as the sticker, I wasn't given a sticker at the dealership other than that little piece of paper you stick ont he windshield. He said that there I already have plates assigned- umm duh.. I paid for my registration so of course they need to assign me a license plate number. I guess I'm just frustrated about the comment and the fact that even with out the front and back plates, its known that its a (semi)newly purchased vehicle, I wouldn't have plates. I would understand if I got popped for no front plates- that's understandable. But now I have to go through this hassle (end of rant) =) ... thanks again for the advice fellas!

crazycarlitos 05-13-2011 12:00 PM

do u have the actual rear plates or is it just a dealership plate in ther rear ?

shifterkartracr 05-13-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by crazycarlitos (Post 3203732)
do u have the actual rear plates or is it just a dealership plate in ther rear ?

I have REAR DEALERSHIP PLATES.. which I should've pointed out earlier on my post.

djantlive 05-13-2011 11:51 PM

if you paid registration, you should be able to fight this ticket. i'd gather the paperwork and submit it for a written trial. your dealer should be able to clarify what's going on too.

shifterkartracr 05-16-2011 09:14 AM

Thank you very much for your advice fellas... I will definitley get an extension and check with the DMV for the status on my plates again.

marcnv 05-16-2011 09:30 AM

Sorry to hear about that, hope you get it sorted with minimal effort/cost.

Did you purchase the car from a dealership? When you register the car at the DMV and get all your papers, they give you a little window thing that says its registered and the plates haven't arrived yet. The cop is a ****** bag if he still wrote you a ticket after you showed him that. Maybe he gave you a ticket knowing it will be dismissed and just wanted to see the car and waste your time?

Good luck man.

shifterkartracr 05-16-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by marcnv (Post 3206070)
Sorry to hear about that, hope you get it sorted with minimal effort/cost.

Did you purchase the car from a dealership? When you register the car at the DMV and get all your papers, they give you a little window thing that says its registered and the plates haven't arrived yet. The cop is a ****** bag if he still wrote you a ticket after you showed him that. Maybe he gave you a ticket knowing it will be dismissed and just wanted to see the car and waste your time?

Good luck man.

Thank you sir...

But yes, I got it from a dealership and the dealership handled all the DMV papers. I called them today and they are checking the DMV and they will get back to me as soon as they find out what's going on with my papers and plates.

But I do agree that the cop was a d-bag! He probably thought I was some punk kid with a Porsche (I do look young but in my mid 30's:p ). I spoke to my Law enforcement buddies and they told me to square it away with the DMV first and then present the facts when I'm ready. They also said that the Sherrif's Department over here where I live are so bored out of their minds that they'll pull people over for anything, especially people with exotic or highend cars, since nothin really major happens here. Pretty sad if you'd ask me. My buddy who's in Law Enforcement gets pulled over here too ( but of course is let go) and he said that most of them are just "hating"... pretty freekin sad...:mad:

nizmolee 05-26-2011 09:35 PM

easy win. stupid cop wasted your time.. hater.

karmafan84 08-26-2018 02:12 AM

I keep two really strong magnets and a plate in my trunk. when i get a ticket i put one of the bakc of the grille and one on the license plate, snap a distance picture and send to the judge saying i dont know what they were looking at but this clearly shows the same day i had a plate.

4 tickets all reversed. Proud i thought of that all on my own and couldnt believe it worked

GT3Fan24 08-26-2018 06:56 AM

Unfortunately the drag cop and the license plate ticket have to be handled in two separate and independent cases.

1. If you really want to address the cop you do have one option. Go down to the office of what type he was. CHP, go to your nearest office. X City police then go down to the station. There is a formal complaint form you can file against him so at least it is on record and gets addressed. DDE did this in Beverly Hills and it was addressed. That is about all the satisfaction you can get on that.

2. Me personally on the ticket. It is a fix it ticket in CA. If you get the plates prior to expiration date just take the plates to your local officer and get the ticket signed and mail it in and be done. OR as mentioned above you can get all your docs and go fight it in court. The net result will be the judge drops the ticket but that is going to be the same exact result of getting it signed off so why waste your time.

Good Luck.