The future of Porsche is electric

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:44 PM
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
The future of Porsche is electric

Porsche charges into the EV mix

Aug. 6, 2018 3:44 PM ET|By: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor Porsche (OTCPK:POAHY, OTCPK:POAHF, OTCPK:VLKAY) is out with some details on its all-electric Taycan model due to go on sale late in 2019.

The automaker says the Taycan range will be 310 miles in the European cycle, with fast-charging capability of 248 miles of range in 15 minutes.

The Taycan will fly to 62 mph (100 kph) in less than 3.5 seconds.

The Taycan will offer more than 600 horsepower through two permanently synchronous motors.

Porsche plans to initially produce 20K Taycan cars per year, a level about two-thirds of how many 911s are sold a year.

Porsche's EV statement: "For Porsche the future is electric. The company wants to shift to electromobility before all other German auto manufacturers. By 2025 the aim is for every second Porsche sold to have an electric drive unit."

Porsche's aggressive EV plans send into the the mix with Audi https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/AUDVF]OTCPK:AUDVF, BMW https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/BMWYY]OTCPK:BMWYY, Mercedes-Benz https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/DDAIF]OTCPKDAIF and Tesla (NASDAQ:
https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/TSLA]TSLA), although there's still plenty to be sorted on where all the EV models fall on pricing, volume and performance.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/337883...charges-ev-mix

Last edited by orangeokie; 08-08-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Everything old is new again
https://www.history.com/news/ferdinand-porsches-first-car-was-electric

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-07-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
Is there an electric component to Porsche's future yes. Is the ICE dead, not even close despite what Tesla owners think. I do think the new Porsche EV is going to be a great competitor to the Tesla, and they will help to push the limits of technology - this is a good thing!

Until you can drive 500 miles without a charge at 70mph+ speeds the EV is going to fall short.
Until you can drive 200 miles on the autobahn at 150mph+ speeds without stopping to recharge, the EV is going to fall short.
Until you can charge your car at every store, and every gas station, in under 30 minutes, the EV isn't going to take over.
Until there is a battery type that doesn't use a limited natural resource, and create toxic waste in their production, the EV is not going to kill ICE.
Until EV's are priced in a way that doesn't require tax payer funded subsidies to hide actual costs, the EV is not going to kill ICE.
Until you can assure me that the manf. isn't going to log into my car, mess with settings, try to drive my car for me, or kill hp/tq in an update to save the transmission without my permission....um ya no.

The ICE is far from dead. Now I do like the idea of continued hybrid powerplants. In my opinion that's where the sweet spot is. Its the best of both worlds other than being extremely complicated, not maintenance and tinkering friendly, and in the performance world, not really tested out for long term reliability. I am not an EV hater at all, but right now the technology and infrastructure are not even close to taking over the ICE market.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 AM
ichsan is an unknown quantity at this point
And the first car was electric. Wow!
Originally Posted by DogWood
Everything old is new again

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-07-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:05 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
I like electric propulsion but agree that ICE is from from dead. Some automakers are developing an ICE with very high efficiency levels compared to current engines and that will remove the "efficiency" advantage for electrics when you consider the losses at the electric power plants (40% efficiency).

Old 10-28-2018, 08:01 AM
Bill Korea is on a distinguished road
Until you can...

Though they may not think about it, the vast majority of drivers don't have your extreme requirements for range and speed, and they can charge at home. The Lithium-ion battery is not particularly toxic or rare, and it looks like it has a useful life of about 20 years for automotive use, followed by another decade or two for household use, followed by recycling. Like it or not, it is the efficiency of EVs that make the technology inevitable, though it obviously takes considerable time (we are already at about 10 years) before consumers and traditional manufacturers figure it out. Thankfully a few companies care about making EVs that are pleasant to drive.

Last edited by Bill Korea; 10-28-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:22 PM
AllBus is on a distinguished road
To me, if an only-electric car beats a 992.2 RSR at le mans in June then I will agree with you. Porsche is a race car organization fueled with money, where ever and however it gets it from.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:33 AM
MSchweitzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Eventually, yes. The are behind Tesla, by a lot, in electric tech. It's something Americans should be proud of. Yes, if you want a Porsche logo, buy a Taycan, but the Tesla blows it away in range, safety, auto drive capability, and some performance measures, for waaaaaaaay less money. I have owned a Tesla S and the quality was very high.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
96 pages in the newest Christophorus and I think almost the entire issue is devoted to selling the final version of the Taycan to readers.
Full page images of Blume and Mauer....with bold large cap quotes from each on accompanying pages.....saying glowing things about Taycan and the dawn of a new age.
No doubt AG and it's stakeholders have much, much at stake here.

Though this issue's content was certainly set months ago......it still strikes me as a bit overkill (30K 'Reservations and all).
Me wonders a bit whether some of the growing push-back of the Blume/mule body (w/key 'E' elements muted) might have some hedging their bets, hence the need for and reinforcing Taycan's supposed value.

Last edited by GreggT; 10-31-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Well, it's easy to have +30K reservations when you don't have to pay for the Taycan. I think the price is stupid high, when compared to arguably better Teslas. Yes, it has a Porsche badge, but that doesn't make up for lower performance and far less range for far more money.

The fact that it doesn't look as exciting as the E mission concept is a big factor too.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:20 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MSchweitzer
Well, it's easy to have +30K reservations when you don't have to pay for the Taycan. I think the price is stupid high, when compared to arguably better Teslas. Yes, it has a Porsche badge, but that doesn't make up for lower performance and far less range for far more money.

The fact that it doesn't look as exciting as the E mission concept is a big factor too.
$ is stupid high. I have to pay extra for high-rate charging and a power charge port door?! ] A loaded Tesla S performance is almost 100K lower in price! 8-year warranty as well.

Granted, it's the first electric Porsche since 1899 but even the 110K 4S is over 122K with very few options so maybe there will be additional models in the coming years that won't command 180+K.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:47 PM
$$$

I hope so. It’s not like Tesla is an entry level product. You get more for less. Perhaps there will be a base Taycan, but if it significantly slower than the 4S and has less range, I don’t think it will be very attractive. The new Ford electric “Mustang” crossover will be out soon. No, not a Porsche, but I f you can option it out and not pay more than $65k...