Tech / How To

How to Drill Out a Lug-Nut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:22 AM
still lost is a jewel in the roughstill lost is a jewel in the roughstill lost is a jewel in the rough
How to Drill Out a Lug-Nut

So apparently when I had my tires mounted and balanced the idiots tightened the lug-nuts to a billion foot lbs

So I got off 4 and the the 5th not only cracked my impact socket and bent my breaker bar extension it also twisted the head of the lug-nut

What is the best technique to go about drilling out/removing this lug-nut?

Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
spray some anti sieze through out the day and let it sit for a day. but if you want go ahead a drill it. I think you maybe sorry if you do.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
Do not drill out.
What car, what year?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 PM
AMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond repute
is it a bolt OR a stud with a lug nut?

if stud w/ a lug nut, get a good socket 12pt that barelt fits over the lug nut and hammer it on so its jammed. Use the shorests 3/4" extension possible and a long breaker bar.

key is to use good tools. cheap tools break.

You can even use crafstman, that way if it does break, you have a warranty.

OR if you have air. use a air gun instead of the breaker bar.

TAKE YOUR TIME AS YOU DON'T WANT TO DAMAGE YOUR CAR OR WHEEL.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 PM
still lost is a jewel in the roughstill lost is a jewel in the roughstill lost is a jewel in the rough
ok it is a bolt it's a 99 A4

the head of the bolt is stripped now b/c of so much pressure, i tried heating it and using pbr blaster...no luck, I'm now drilling but it's going to be a biotch

as for tools it was a MAC impact socket that broke...all my tools are craftsman except for my set of impact sockets ...so I'm not using target brand tools

it just pisses me off that the ONE time i have someone put wheels and tires on my car they eff it up, i've never let anyone but me touch my car, hell I did my own clutch and flywheel and something so simple as mounting and balancing tires this happens, and the worst part is the shop that did it gave me a discount b/c it was a favor for one of my friends....WTF!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 AM
rsalicrup is on a distinguished road
Did you take the other 4 out completely? If so, put them back in and tight them to spec. Try the PB blaster on the bad one, hammer it a bit and then try to take it out.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
You would probably have greater success welding a new head on the bolt than trying to drill it out.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 PM
SteelCitySupra can only hope to improve
The only other option i can think of. Is to get to the stud from the back of the hub. Grind off the head of the stud and push it out the front. And then just install a new stud, if it is a back wheel however it becomes alittle more difficult because of the E-brake.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 PM
thanks for all the input but it got to the point where it was pointless for me to try anymore so I dropped it off at a shop before I left for vacation so hopefulyy they had better success than i did

Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Bill W is on a distinguished road
Drilling a lug nut is not the way to go. Like said above if you can weld tack a bolt to the old one and then try to remove it. If you can not weld get a new sharp chissel and a 2lb hammer and you can easily crack the old lug with a few good hits.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Fredde08 is on a distinguished road
Honestly, None of you guys that says "drill it" have tried it

I Did try that once on a cadillac at work that had a half cut lock nut left on the stud.

I used like 5 drill bits or so, all were worn out quite fast.

The best solution is to use an induction heater or a gas welder because metal expands when heated up.

Try that, i wouldnt recommend drilling

Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies, my local shop got it off while I was on vacation and for christmas my dad got me a set of speciailty tools for this purpose (hopefully they will never see the light of day)...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
petea4 is on a distinguished road
Had a locknut break on me this summer.

I center punched the stud, and drilled it with a carbide drill bit. Drill it a little smaller than the thread size. When i was deep enough i put an allen key in the hole, and tapped it sideways with a hammer. The stud snapped clean.

Removed the rotor, and installed a new stud.

Did you ask the shop how they removed it?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:27 PM
QQBeNNyQQ is on a distinguished road
i had to buy a new hub..

Old 03-03-2008, 04:43 PM
subie_powa is on a distinguished road
carbide bit will drill it for sure. can't use anything else

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to Drill Out a Lug-Nut