Toyo R888 VS Nitto NT01

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
Toyo R888 VS Nitto NT01

I need help or any suggestions . I am looking for a good r compound tire that I can autocross with and maybe take it to the track twice a year and still be able to drive to the events. I boiled it down to these two tires anyone have any experience with either one or if there are any suggestions on other tires I would appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I've been through a couple of sets of NT-01's and think they are good for a combo tire that will do street/auto-x/track. They're OK on wet streets if you take your time and stay away from standing water; otherwise you'll have your hands full. They are a little noisy but from what I understand, not as noisy as the tripple 8's. 8's will be better in the rain.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
What size nitto works on a nb car?
R888 are pricey but very communicative with a nice progressive slide when at the limit. They last too, wet traction is decent

Drove my buddies TT with. Nt01 in the wet and they are scary with any standing water as mentioned above. No experience on the track

Old 02-05-2009, 08:52 AM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
I realy never take it out in the rain,And I think the Nitto are less expensive,thanks

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I think the Nitto is closer to being a slick then the r888 maybe thats why.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LarryP
I think the Nitto is closer to being a slick then the r888 maybe thats why.
They are closer to being a slick (especially when shaved to 3/32 but will still squeel quite a bit at the limit and they give adequate warning before breaking away.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:43 PM
patfat is on a distinguished road
Both have the same compound and construction since Nitto is manufactured by Toyo. The only difference is the thread pattern/design.

Toyo T1R = Nitto NT555
Toyo RA1 = Nitto NT555R
Toyo R888 = Nitto NT01

Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM
patfat is on a distinguished road
That being said the R888 is very sensitive to temperature and I find they work best at 35-37psi on my 993.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 PM
englishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant futureenglishbull911 has a brilliant future
I never knew Nitto made the tires for Toyo.

I have used both and felt the 888's were slightly better at the long tracks and the Nitto's were better for auto crossing and short tracks.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
The R888 might cost a little more but the tread pattern is the same across the width of the tire, so you can have the tires turned inside-out after a few runs to get a little more life out of them.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I wasn't crazy about the R888s, road noise is horrible, which will make a difference since you will be using them as your street tires.

And as far as the tread pattern it doesn't really help with aqua-planing much. I've switched to MSPC for double duty during the summer for road + track and I love them in every category over the toyos.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Springgeyser is on a distinguished road
R888 has more sizing options than the NT01.

I was happy with my set of R888 for AX/DE and I flipped them inside out to even the wear and extend its life also.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by raiyu
I wasn't crazy about the R888s, road noise is horrible, which will make a difference since you will be using them as your street tires.

And as far as the tread pattern it doesn't really help with aqua-planing much. I've switched to MSPC for double duty during the summer for road + track and I love them in every category over the toyos.
I ordered the NT01 should be here this week. I think I am going to get new rims and street tires for every day and use the nt01 for events.Do you autocross in new york metro PCA first event is on march 29th.I can't wait.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raiyu

I agree that the Cups are better tires than the R888 but at nearly 2x the cost. I forgot about the noisiness of the R888, especially how they howl above 70 - 80 mph. I was just using them as track tires on a separate set of wheels, so I didn't pay attention to it.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 AM
silberm3 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone drive to/from events on NT01s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Toyo R888 VS Nitto NT01