6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Head Stud Torque Procedures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Technical Advisors
411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !
Not to prolong this any further, the instructions you posted are meant for those rebuilding a stock engine with stock performance expectations, using ARP studs.

The original question was asking about a high performance build.

As suggested earlier, when building any engine the parts used, make up the engine and its ability to perform up to expectations without failure. So choosing the right part for the application is extremely important. You can assemble the engine with the best procedures and care, but if the parts are not designed for that application you can expect failure. I think this happens all too often in the aftermarket. Its not always the fault of the vendor, but the choice the builder takes, without researching the requirements and the parts chosen to perform the task.

Assembling an engine is actually the easiest part of the build. When you think about it, its just screwing parts together. Its the front end work that is so important. Cleaning, measuring, machine work and choosing the right parts for the job.

If you are building a high performance engine and buy parts off the shelf, make sure you understand what you are building and make the vendor aware of what you are building. Then maybe you will receive good advice and not have a part failure. I believe ARP will offer up this advice when it comes to fasteners.

I am fairly confident that if ARP knows you are building a high performance engine, they may suggest a stud made from another material other than 8740 depending upon the information you give them.

I'm not here to counter anything you say. You can disregard anything I say. Just wanted to give you some insight into what is involved and make sure you ask questions and hopefully do not experience any sort of failure.