SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
No harm, no foul.

For the record I really like the SMG for the track. A little primitive for around town but terrific on the track.

Marc
My main concern about the SMG is the reliability. It is true that on the track, there is no way I could shift as quickly as the SMG. The shifting is often brutal indeed and it certainly requires to be more mindful of when you shift gears in order to avoid unsettling the car, but this is just proper driving and the 991 gets us way too spoiled from this standpoint.

Around town, I got used to lift a bit while shifting, but my kid breaks my neck when he drives in manual mode.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:15 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Back to a previous post, it turns out that I am not the only one who would rather go for a 3.4 Carrera rather than a new M4:

Sure this is not apples to apples and the two cars follow a different purpose -and I could see myself carrying my kids in a new M3 -

Old 09-05-2014, 08:26 AM
And just for the fun, here's the i8 vs 991S (Powerkit) drag race. A drag race is the most irrelevant way to look at the true performance of a car, but in this case, it is still a testament to what BMW has accomplished with the i8.

Now, you probably have seen on internet forums that the secret is that the i8 is nothing more than a 991 in disguise. It is clearly noticeable when you look at the back of the car and can't help to notice that it is literally 'pooping' a 991
(colors are a bit enhanced to make it more visible on this picture):

Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
And just for the fun, here's the i8 vs 991S (Powerkit) drag race. A drag race is the most irrelevant way to look at the true performance of a car, but in this case, it is still a testament to what BMW has accomplished with the i8.

BMW i8 v Porsche 911 Carrera S

Now, you probably have seen on internet forums that the secret is that the i8 is nothing more than a 991 in disguise. It is clearly noticeable when you look at the back of the car and can't help to notice that it is literally 'pooping' a 991
(colors are a bit enhanced to make it more visible on this picture):

Just last week while in Germany i had opportunity to ride in both the i8 and Carrera GT on the Autobahn. One of my good German friends has both cars in his collection. He had an Audi A8, which he very much disliked and sold. His DD is a BMW X6 (loaded). Both the i8 and GT are amazing cars to be on the autobahn in, you get lots of grins from both.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	445.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	400977   Click image for larger version

Name:	446.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	400978   Click image for larger version

Name:	447.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	400979   Click image for larger version

Name:	448.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	400980   Click image for larger version

Name:	449.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	400981  

Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Nice David. I should definitely make more friends in Germany

Old 09-06-2014, 06:40 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
The. Carrera GT looks incredible. Must have been a drive of a lifetime! Don't see many black ones either! Good stuff.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Time to say Goodbye...?

The new car itch is there. No idea yet on what the next step could be though... another P-Car? a more comfortable, less ostentatious daily driver? a short term fun project car ? I do not know but something has to happen
The last 991 was and still is the most capable car I have driven, but sometimes change can be as fun as perfection... or maybe it is just another mistake that will tell me I should get back in a 911 because there is no substitute

I have started to list my 991 on autotrader : http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...79898808&Log=0

I also posted on the Marketplace and you can always PM me with any question: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4195461 or email me directly at SM4ATL@gmail.com

Last edited by SM_ATL; 09-16-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:48 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear Serge. Good luck with the sale and let us know what your new ride will be. All the best.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 AM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
You should consider a 6 month lease

Old 09-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by naples991
You should consider a 6 month lease

I've been in this one for 19 months already. Kind of a personal record.
This being said, I've listed the car at the minimum price that makes sense to me. If it does not find a buyer at this price, I'll keep enjoying it... there are worse things than have to drive a 911

Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Serge...I'm guessing this'll soon be an end to thread????? I hope not...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Fester
Serge...I'm guessing this'll soon be an end to thread????? I hope not...
The thread will survive the car... and the car is far from being gone at this point

Old 09-15-2014, 04:51 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
The thread will survive the car... and the car is far from being gone at this point
Hey we only go around this track once so if you can do it then more power to you Serge (no pun intended)

Enjoy your next steps!

Ken

Old 09-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Back to everyday life... The car stays listed for sale and I would entertain a 'Best Offer', but I am in no hurry. For those who have had the courage to read the entire Journal, the story of the car (track time, quite a few miles on the road) may not always do it justice. It is literally in show room condition, just got serviced by Porsche and is covered by a 100,000 miles / 6 year warranty. But I am digressing...

The end of the infamous driver side dashboard squeak

While I had the car serviced, I asked the dealership to check on the squeak I have had intermittently on the driver side of the dash. Last time I asked them to take a look at it, the squeak had mysteriously disappeared

No such thing this time, and it turns out that it was due to the gas tank foam pads that had moved out of position and were rubbing against the firewall. Here's what was written on the invoice (this issue was covered by the warranty of course):

The service advisor told me they have seen a similar problem on several 981/991's over the past few months. Good thing in a sense that it is now a well identified and known problem. There is nothing more irritating than a rattle or squeak you keep chasing without resolution.

This fix worked great and the car is now Squeak/rattle free I feel like I am in love with it again

Last edited by SM_ATL; 09-21-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 PM
toddcc1 will become famous soon enoughtoddcc1 will become famous soon enough
Back to everyday life... The car stays listed for sale and I would entertain a 'Best Offer', but I am in no hurry. For those who have had the courage to read the entire Journal, the story of the car (track time, quite a few miles on the road) may not always do it justice. It is literally in show room condition, just got serviced by Porsche and is covered by a 100,000 miles / 6 year warranty. But I am digressing...

The end of the infamous driver side dashboard squeak

While I had the car serviced, I asked the dealership to check on the squeak I have had intermittently on the driver side of the dash. Last time I asked them to take a look at it, the squeak had mysteriously disappeared

No such thing this time, and it turns out that it was due to the gas tank foam pads that had moved out of position and were rubbing against the firewall. Here's what was written on the invoice (this issue was covered by the warranty of course):

The service advisor told me they have seen a similar problem on several 981/991's over the past few months. Good thing in a sense that it is now a well identified and known problem. There is nothing more irritating than a rattle or squeak you keep chasing without resolution.

This fix worked great and the car is now Squeak/rattle free I feel like I am in love with it again
Serendipitous. I was just driving home tonight with my wife and I started hearing this squeak coming from the front dash...almost like two plastics parts rubbing against one another, or a two year old Chevy. She wasn't annoyed by it, but rather annoyed by me and my obsession as to what was making this noise. Taking it in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal