SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Life is about changes...

I have been working for a few month on a E46 M3 project that is now very close to completion. All the essentials have been taken care off: SMG pump, coilovers, camber plates, brakes, wheels and tires, thorough engine maintenance etc. and it is running strong.

Meanwhile, I have found myself pushing my 991 harder and harder on the track and getting more and more 'scares'. The 991 is the best car I have ever driven, but when you start to get close to using 90% of its potential (at best, I am not sure I am up to that level...), with nannies off and at the speed it goes, you must be ready to face the consequences... which I am not sure I am .

So, I'll be going back down the road of a dedicated track car (the E46 M3) that I may wreck with less heartache and more limited financial consequences. I may get crucified by purists for this comment but I have taken the M3 to Road Atlanta and had more fun than with my previous 996 track car. Maybe because it is easier to handle at the limit and I am not such a great driver, but that was at least my perception.

Back to the 991, it means that I'll take it back to stock and that my track aftermarket parts should be for sale soon: OEM Porsche bucket seats, BBI roll bar, Exhaust (maybe not... I like it so much), Brembo 15" BBK w/Pagids pads, BBS CHR wheels, Schroth harnesses, all of them in very good condition. They should show up in the classified over the next week or so. If you are looking for something specific, you can always PM me.

I'll still enjoy the 991 a lot on the road and on occasional DE's, but not with the intensity I used to ... and beat the **** out of the old M3!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
E46 is a great track machine.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Say it ain't so!

I say the exhaust stays, though.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Let me know about your brakes, I may be interested.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zack/AWE
Say it ain't so!

I say the exhaust stays, though.
LOL! Yes, the rest is just purely track oriented and not needed for daily driving. The exhaust note is enjoyable everyday !

Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Originally Posted by 998M
Serge, Are your numbers on the side of the car stickers or magnets? They seem really nice for stickers but I would think magnets would not stay on at 140. Marc
Magnet numbers don't stick on the 991 doors ... I've tried ;-))

Old 07-17-2014, 08:34 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Life is about changes...

So, I'll be going back down the road of a dedicated track car (the E46 M3) that I may wreck with less heartache and more limited financial consequences. I may get crucified by purists for this comment but I have taken the M3 to Road Atlanta and had more fun than with my previous 996 track car. Maybe because it is easier to handle at the limit and I am not such a great driver, but that was at least my perception.

Back to the 991, it means that I'll take it back to stock and that my track aftermarket parts should be for sale soon: OEM Porsche bucket seats, BBI roll bar, Exhaust (maybe not... I like it so much), Brembo 15" BBK w/Pagids pads, BBS CHR wheels, Schroth harnesses, all of them in very good condition. They should show up in the classified over the next week or so. If you are looking for something specific, you can always PM me.

I'll still enjoy the 991 a lot on the road and on occasional DE's, but not with the intensity I used to ... and beat the **** out of the old M3!
Serge, Send me a PM of price you want for brakes and seats. Do you have a pic of the seats?

Marc

Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by 998M
Serge, Send me a PM of price you want for brakes and seats. Do you have a pic of the seats?

Marc
I'll get back to you tonight when I am back in town !

Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 AM
DG_Hennessy is on a distinguished road
You know Serge... a new PDK GT3 might be in your future..

Seriously though, good luck with the M3 and keep in touch!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by DG_Hennessy
You know Serge... a new PDK GT3 might be in your future..

Seriously though, good luck with the M3 and keep in touch!
Who knows

I'll surely miss the 991 on the track, but I'd rather miss it there than on the track AND the road if wreck it
I'll keep doing PCA or Hooked on Driving events with the 911 as they are a lot less agressive but do not need a track setup for that. I'd rather enjoy my cooled seats and comfort features for daily driving...

Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Prototype testing of the AWE Tuning 'Foiler' Wind Deflector

AWE Tuning is getting near to completion of their anti-buffeting solution. As part of their real world testing, they gave me the opportunity to try a prototype on the track (Road Atlanta) at high speed (>135mph) last week end during a DE organized by Chin Motorsports. They told me they had the foiler already tested on their in house 991 Turbo but would welcome additional feedback, including how the product would perform during track days.

The prototype I got for testing was not made of the final material and was only for the driver side, but it was enough to evaluate its performance. For those who have taken their 991 to Road Atlanta, the back straight is long and fast, depending on the conditions you can hit 130-155mph before decelerating for turn 9, but is almost unbearable due to buffeting. Vibrations become so loud that they almost become a distraction.

Recording sound is a challenge on the track when you only have limited equipment (GoPro's), but I tried to do my best using footage from February without the foiler and from last week end. I would suggest to listen to the video clip using earphones as they give a better idea of how loud the buffeting is.

The reduction in buffeting was dramatic IMHO. Of course, there is always a lot of 'regular' wind noise, but it can hardly be avoided driving at these speeds with both windows down. Installing another foiler on the passenger side would probably have made it completely perfect on top of keeping the car symmetric
AWE told me that they would sell the kit in pairs (driver + passenger). I will most certainly install the commercial version of the foiler once it becomes available.
Congratulations AWE!!!! I knew it could be done with a simple, inexpensive solution!
Thanks for testing it Serge and for sharing the results with us.

ChuckJ

Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 AM
PKumarC2 is on a distinguished road
that is sad to hear

I had a dedicated E46 M3 track car - http://pkumarm3.wordpress.com

I had it all - gutted, motons, gc sways, cobra suzuka seats, kirk bar, harnesses, etc. I just didn't want to have an expensive paper weight that gets driven 10-20 times a year.

Good luck. The E46 M3 is a great chassis but needs about 30k of work to get it to proper track running.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:25 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Congratulations AWE!!!! I knew it could be done with a simple, inexpensive solution!
Thanks for testing it Serge and for sharing the results with us.
Is this available for purchase yet?

Old 07-18-2014, 12:22 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Thx Serge for clarification re interior trim screw for anti-buffeting foil. Looking forward to these becoming available.

Good luck with M3!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BradB
Is this available for purchase yet?
Not quite yet, we sent them to Serge for his impressions and to verify their functionality at track speeds.

Next step, deciding what material(s) to offer them in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal