Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:08 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
The 993 guys are finding that the Idle Stabilization Valve is causing a similar problem. I wonder if there is one in the 991.

ChuckJ
I doubt the 991 has one.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:09 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stealthboy
Day 4 report to address my original four problem areas:

1) My idle still seems a bit rougher than when I first got the car and the RPMs hunt around a bit, but it's not *that* bad. When I first got the car sometimes it was difficult to feel if the car was even running it was so smooth. Now I definitely feel it. Not that that's a bad thing I guess :-). It's just different.

2) MOST IMPORTANTLY: My terrible, rough acceleration through 2000-3000 is smooth! It feels like a sportscar, dammit. I'm no longer dreading putting the throttle down. It really drives totally differently than before. This morning my commute to work was actually enjoyable.

3) The hesitation under light throttle at 2300 RPM hasn't really been noticed *much*. I say that because I think I felt something yesterday, but it's nowhere near the level it was before.

4) Larger stumble right at 3000 (Variocam). They must have remapped something because the transition can still be felt, but it's much smoother and more intentional. Before it felt like a clunk that was totally out of place. Now when I reach 3000 - 3400 where the VarioCam decides to adjust it's still slightly noticeable, but doesn't feel broken or wrong, if that makes any sense.

Overall, I'm very happy after 4 days. Will keep everyone updated. I've noticed some of my issues in the past would vary with temperature/humidity, so I'll keep an eye on that.
Stealthboy,

How has the car continued to drive? Has it gone back to its old ways?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:38 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mtony
Stealthboy,

How has the car continued to drive? Has it gone back to its old ways?

It's not perfect, but it continues to drive better than before. Specifically, the stumbles on medium acceleration through 2000-3000 are pretty much gone. There is still the larger stumble sometimes at 3000-3200 (VarioCam repositioning?) but even that seems more smooth.

I would like to start to poll 991 owners about their idle. If anyone cares to chime in - does your idle in non-Sport mode stick right at 600? Does it vary at all? Mine still varies from 600 to 700.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
It's not perfect, but it continues to drive better than before. Specifically, the stumbles on medium acceleration through 2000-3000 are pretty much gone. There is still the larger stumble sometimes at 3000-3200 (VarioCam repositioning?) but even that seems more smooth.

I would like to start to poll 991 owners about their idle. If anyone cares to chime in - does your idle in non-Sport mode stick right at 600? Does it vary at all? Mine still varies from 600 to 700.
Mine does vary a bit in that range.
I cannot notice any form of hesitation. The "Go" paddle does just that...

There is a marked surge in power on my C2S at around 3000-4000 RPM, kinda like a turbo boost coming in late. I like it. I would not call it hesitation. The only reason I am not getting a GTS - it's missing there. Call me a philistine if you will...

Rainier

Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
650 rock solid (less than 1/2 needle width).

ChuckJ

Old 07-13-2015, 11:47 PM
991C2S88 is on a distinguished road
I had the same hesitation around 2500 rpm. I installed a sprint booster as recommended by other forum members and it went away. I used the auto model on a manual transmission, which turned out perfect.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by 991C2S88
I had the same hesitation around 2500 rpm. I installed a sprint booster as recommended by other forum members and it went away. I used the auto model on a manual transmission, which turned out perfect.
Can you please elaborate? What model do you have? Base or S? Can you describe the hesitation you had? Totally corrected? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:10 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 991C2S88
Hope it works for you, but these articles are not very favorable. It appears all the booster does is change the pedal "feel."

http://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertis...s-it-worth-it/

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf

Old 08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Does any one happen to know what the latest DME software version is for the C2S?
TIA.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
FYI.. A fellow stumbler reported that he replaced his Throttle Body (not just the TPS).
Sadly it made no difference.
The process of elimination continues..

Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Brought my car in for a lifter issue (drained after a week of sitting, made terrible clacking for five minutes after start). While dropping it off I of course had to once again mention my hesitation issue. If you remember I had my engine management system software updated on my previous visit, and it seemed to be better for a while, but the stumbling has returned, albeit feeling slightly different. Once again they said it was normal.

However, when picking up my car, the service advisor mentioned another customer with a similar issue. 2-3K RPM, stumbling, no codes. They are going to be swapping out his high pressure fuel pump next week. They think it's a fuel pump issue, and it's interesting that the high pressure fuel pump is driven mechanically by the engine. I thought it would be a separate pump motor or something. They said they also intend to investigate spark plugs and ignition coil, but they are leaning towards a fuel starvation issue where pressure in the cylinder is actually pushing back on the fuel delivery and not allowing a smooth firing). When driving around with the tech laptop hooked up he said the only thing they noticed was a drop in the high pressure fuel pump from normal 120 bar down to 114 bar.

Anyway, just another data point. I intend to follow up with the service advisor in a week or two to ask how the experiment went with this other car.

While I was there I also drove another 2013 911 (7MT) with the service manager. It also had some hesitation in the 2-3K range but not as severe as my car. He admitted that the VarioCam Plus system is *not* seamless like Porsche says it is.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the update...I know you will keep us updated!

Old 09-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Brought my car in for a lifter issue (drained after a week of sitting, made terrible clacking for five minutes after start). While dropping it off I of course had to once again mention my hesitation issue. If you remember I had my engine management system software updated on my previous visit, and it seemed to be better for a while, but the stumbling has returned, albeit feeling slightly different. Once again they said it was normal.

However, when picking up my car, the service advisor mentioned another customer with a similar issue. 2-3K RPM, stumbling, no codes. They are going to be swapping out his high pressure fuel pump next week. They think it's a fuel pump issue, and it's interesting that the high pressure fuel pump is driven mechanically by the engine. I thought it would be a separate pump motor or something. They said they also intend to investigate spark plugs and ignition coil, but they are leaning towards a fuel starvation issue where pressure in the cylinder is actually pushing back on the fuel delivery and not allowing a smooth firing). When driving around with the tech laptop hooked up he said the only thing they noticed was a drop in the high pressure fuel pump from normal 120 bar down to 114 bar.

Anyway, just another data point. I intend to follow up with the service advisor in a week or two to ask how the experiment went with this other car.

While I was there I also drove another 2013 911 (7MT) with the service manager. It also had some hesitation in the 2-3K range but not as severe as my car. He admitted that the VarioCam Plus system is *not* seamless like Porsche says it is.
Mechanical fuel pump? Hard to believe it's mechanically driven. That was technology from the 1970s and before!

Hopefully they're on to something. Please stay in contact with your dealer and thanks for keeping us posted.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:13 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
HP fuel pump is in fact mechanically driven:

"The electric fuel pump in the fuel tank delivers the low-pressure fuel via the quantity control valve (see Fig. 2_419_11, 1.1) at approx. 72.5 psi (5 bar), directly into the 3-piston high-pressure pump (see Fig. 2_418_11, 1). The high-pressure pump driven by the camshaft delivers the fuel high pressure (approx. 580 to 1740 psi/40 to 120 bar) to the fuel rails (4) on the left and right cylinder banks and to the injectors (6) via the connecting lines (3) when the engine is running. The fuel high-pressure sensor (5) is located in the right fuel rail".

Old 09-03-2015, 05:53 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by runner1021
HP fuel pump is in fact mechanically driven:
Fascinating. Who woulda thunk?

I was hesitant (no pun intended) to publicly share my experiences because I tried to sell my car myself (I ended up trading it because no one would buy it) and I didn't want potential buyers to be turned-off by this issue. But my car did experience the hesitation/surging similar to but not as seriously as the OP's car. I can share though that it did seem to get better once I got a few thousand miles on the car. Or maybe I just got used to it?

It is interesting to read that although the dealer says that the operation is normal, they are working on another customer's car with similar symptoms. Even though it's normal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?