Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:24 PM
georgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant future
Cobb accesport is nice if you want the power of an X51 but it does nothing for the stumbling..

Old 04-21-2016, 07:01 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Update: I brought my car into what is probably the best local Porsche mechanic in the area. This guy has had his Porsche shop for 28 years. He wins local races. He's the real deal.

First I drove, and then we switched and he drove back. When I drove he was watching for my shift points, any possible lugging of the engine, etc. I was able to replicate the stumble and describe when I feel it, at what RPMs, etc. He said I was shifting just fine (not "driving it wrong" as the PCNA tech said). When he drove it he said he did indeed feel it. He thought it could be a combination of lifter changes and possible sticking throttle body. His idea is to clean the throttle body and go from there. I know there has been a throttle body replacement with someone here with *no* improvement in the stumble, but we're just charting a course for investigation. He's the first mechanic to take me seriously and start to lay out a plan.

Overall, it was a great car day. The weather was perfect, and I was able to get someone else to feel it so I know I'm not going crazy or just "driving it wrong". Yes, I'm still bitter at PCNA for telling me that.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:20 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Wow great, hope you get this diagnosed properly. Sounds like you found the right guy to get this fixed.

PCNA really dropped the ball on this one. Really sucks.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:00 PM
dwaynemosley is on a distinguished road
As was predicted here, the stumble is back on my car. In fact, it may be worse than it's ever been. It has actually stumbled several times "big time" above 3K RPMs for the first time ever. It feels like it loses power, dives down and picks back up. I've called the dealer to make them aware.

Also, since the S/W was loaded, I'm experiencing a "surprising" very hard shift from the PDK on an occasional basis with no rhyme nor reason. It can be from any gear to any gear and doesn't matter if it's sport, sport-plus or normal mode.

This is all very disturbing and is starting to affect the way I now have to drive this car. I cannot move through the 2 - 3K RPM range without it stumbling and tugging, and occasionally hopping.

I'm open to anything that anyone learns that might help me through this. The warranty expires in November and I don't want to have to live with this problem and the potentially inevitable part failure.

Other than these issues, the car has been solid, so I'm very disappointed in all this.

Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
I've had the stumble since the beginning. I took my car to the dealer a few weeks ago for the annual oil change, brake flush, etc. and asked them to check for any S/W updates. There were many. I was mostly interested in the DME update being discussed here, and it was available for my car.

After installation, I can conclusively say that my problem is 75% eliminated. The other 25% I can still lightly feel the stumbling effect, but it has greatly diminished. It seems that the update moved the RPM range for my issue from the broad range of 2K - 3K down to about 2.2k thru 2.6K. Even then, when its there, it's not as severe as before. I have noticed that when the engine is cold and I happen to change from 1st to 2nd when it enters that range, it bucks and jumps a little. But, it did this in the broader range before as well. After it's warmed up, it settles down.

The reason I know it's improved is this: Driving it a couple of days ago with the stereo turned up loud, I realized that I was moving along with the car still in 3rd gear with the RPM's gradually increasing within the original broad stumbling range, and it was running very smoothly.

In summary, let me say that this has improved my car greatly. Is it possible that the DME may adjust something through adaptations that will bring the stumbling back? I guess only time will tell.

One thing did change on my car. The PDK tranny seems to change gears a lot harder now than it did before. In Normal mode, sometimes during the changes between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, it really changes hard. It feels almost like it's in Sport or Sport+ mode and the electronic engine mounts are activated. I mentioned this to the dealer, but they didn't have any answers. Anyone else experiencing this change?

Old 04-27-2016, 03:17 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
I'm open to anything that anyone learns that might help me through this.
Well, at least we're all in this together here. Even if no solution is found, we at least have a support group.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:58 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
At this point, I simply try to grin and bear it. Fortunately, after 3 years of ownership, the car continues to provide copious amounts of grins.

One concern though, is the possibility of diminished value if one were attempting to sell to a private party. If I were in the market for a private sale used 991 and actually felt it stumble during a test drive, I think I'd probably look elsewhere. An even worse scenario would be for the new buyer to give you a call a couple of weeks after the sale and ask what's wrong with the car.

I've always opted for the trade-in route so I guess it's a moot point (unless the dealer were to low ball the trade value due to the stumble)

Old 04-27-2016, 04:30 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I feel for you guys with the problem. Knock on wood, but I have never experienced this issue in my 2015 GTS.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
This situation, and their utter lack of any meaningful action, is simply disgusting.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:39 PM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
I've put about 500 miles on the car since my latest update and all is still well.

Stumble free and the PDK in all modes (including manual mode) is smooth as butter.

I'm going to hit the mountains of GA/NC/TN this weekend and will report back after some hard runs.

2013 C4S PDK here.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:42 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by stealthboy
Well, at least we're all in this together here. Even if no solution is found, we at least have a support group.
So, not because of the stumble but for other reasons, I sold my 991 last year and replaced it with a 2.8 Z4. OK, stop laughing. The Z4, for obvious reasons, did not do it for me, so I replaced it with a Boxster S, the same year as my 991, but at nearly half the price. It has a very occasional and different feeling stumble, but it happens.

My point though is that I also bought a BMW 340i (6-speed) last year that is my DD, and it has a horrible stumble. I started a thread on it on one forum because I've been around the block a few times and I know that if "they all do that" there's no point in taking it into the dealer. Several other people have noted the same symptom. It's a software thing, I'm sure. In this case, I think it's got to do with emissions, maybe preheating the cats, as it only happens in the first minute or so of driving. But it's pretty severe and annoying, especially to those of us who are card-carrying members of the OCD society.

So yes, it's great that we have these Internet resources to support each other and maybe find a solution, work-around, or a way to reduce the severity. These days, these cars are so heavily controlled by computers that run based on sensor signals that I honestly feel sorry for the mechanics who have to try to resolve these kinds of drivability issues. Especially since none of us have access to (nor likely the skills to change) the code that runs the cars.

I'm giving serious thought to buying a Tesla next. They are not problem-free either, but at least it appears that Tesla makes a sincere effort to resolve issues quickly, and they download software updates automagically as soon as they are released.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:07 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stealthboy
Update: I brought my car into what is probably the best local Porsche mechanic in the area. This guy has had his Porsche shop for 28 years. He wins local races. He's the real deal.

First I drove, and then we switched and he drove back. When I drove he was watching for my shift points, any possible lugging of the engine, etc. I was able to replicate the stumble and describe when I feel it, at what RPMs, etc. He said I was shifting just fine (not "driving it wrong" as the PCNA tech said). When he drove it he said he did indeed feel it. He thought it could be a combination of lifter changes and possible sticking throttle body. His idea is to clean the throttle body and go from there. I know there has been a throttle body replacement with someone here with *no* improvement in the stumble, but we're just charting a course for investigation. He's the first mechanic to take me seriously and start to lay out a plan.

Overall, it was a great car day. The weather was perfect, and I was able to get someone else to feel it so I know I'm not going crazy or just "driving it wrong". Yes, I'm still bitter at PCNA for telling me that.
Stealth - did your mechanic's adjustments/suggestions make any kind of difference?

Old 04-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Stealth - did your mechanic's adjustments/suggestions make any kind of difference?
Not done yet - I have my 3 year service coming up next month so we agreed I would just bring it in there and he would also clean the throttle body at the same time he was doing other maintenance items.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 AM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CSK 991 C4S
I've put about 500 miles on the car since my latest update and all is still well.

Stumble free and the PDK in all modes (including manual mode) is smooth as butter.

I'm going to hit the mountains of GA/NC/TN this weekend and will report back after some hard runs.

2013 C4S PDK here.
After 1000 miles beating up the car up on mountain roads the stumble is back around 2500 rpm.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by CSK 991 C4S
After 1000 miles beating up the car up on mountain roads the stumble is back around 2500 rpm.
NOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM
http://rennlist.com/forums/991/93914...ollection.html

Please add your info if you can. Thanks!

Edit: or here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ollection.html

Last edited by stealthboy; 06-13-2016 at 10:19 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?