Does anyone use the auto stop/start feature?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by shaytun
I'm sure you're right that it helps. My guess is your shifting pattern may have been the biggest factor there.

That, and the increased oil temperature with Sport mode turned off.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:13 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone ever notice that the start/stop will not work until the engine reaches a certain operating temp? Guess that is for less wear on the parts and maybe for emissions to get the cats up to temp?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Anyone ever notice that the start/stop will not work until the engine reaches a certain operating temp? Guess that is for less wear on the parts and maybe for emissions to get the cats up to temp?
Non-optimal operating temps, extremely cold or hot conditions, hill assist interruption, or just downright random situations will disable start/stop. It's magic!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by shaytun
I'm sure you're right that it helps. My guess is your shifting pattern may have been the biggest factor there.

That's what I'm thinking. I usually keep the RPM's high with these engines.

Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
That, and the increased oil temperature with Sport mode turned off.

How does the higher oil temp help to increase the MPG?

Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by empunker
How does the higher oil temp help to increase the MPG?
Higher oil temperatures lead to lower viscosity, resulting in lower friction when the oil is moving around. Hence, the more efficient the engine, the higher your range.

Sport/Sport Plus, as I understand it from another thread, run oil through the intercooler 100% of the time. These modes account for more spirited driving, making sure that the car can keep temperatures lower as you push the car further. From what I remember on the track, Sport mode temperatures rise to the normal range (220-230*F) after a few laps.