Does anyone use the auto stop/start feature?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Does anyone use the auto stop/start feature?

I don't! Guess I'm of the mind set that it is still a sports car and shouldn't have this feature...

Anyone else disable this?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
97c2s993 is on a distinguished road
The only time I really ever have it enabled is on long highway drives, and that's for the 'coast feature'. As soon as I get off the highway, come to a stop and get freaked out when the engine suddenly shuts off, that's when I disable it... I never use it in city driving...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:04 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
I tried it out and used it for one day of regular driving. I didn't care for it so now it stays disabled.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 97c2s993
The only time I really ever have it enabled is on long highway drives, and that's for the 'coast feature'. As soon as I get off the highway, come to a stop and get freaked out when the engine suddenly shuts off, that's when I disable it... I never use it in city driving...
Coast feature? What's that? I guess it has nothing to do with manual transmission cars, yes?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely not, first thing I turned off.. I find it distracting and annoying as in the back of my head I'm always thinking during the moment.. did it stall?

Maybe if I do a long road trip by highway, I might turn on to get the coast feature and save a little gas.. But for my typical daily and weekend driving I find it to be annoying.

Honestly I think the only reason it is there is just to meet the government pressure on fuel economy. I don't think Porsche really thinks the typical 911 purchaser is all that concerned with squeezing every mile out of the tank.. But by including it, they can claim the MPG #'s.. (Unfortunately it probably adds a lot of cost and complexity.. Consider things like air conditioning have to still function while the engine is off). I bet that feature alone adds 1 or 2 $K to the car..

I also believe that is also the reason that "normal" auto PDK mode is such a dog.. It's there just to make the MPG #'s.. I did some experimenting and it really does seem to make a difference between PDK sport and normal (in auto).. with respect to gas mileage.. At least in my experiments driving to work.. But the car is such a dog that way..

Last edited by scatkins; 02-14-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
^this.

Ludicrous feature. Just meant to improve mpg and emissions according to standardized tests.
The 'coasting' option is not so bad when you are cruising on a long highway trip, but it should not be coupled to the auto start/stop control that is always disabled on my car.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
😒
Um, I do use it. But, if I'm I stop/go traffic or toll, I will turn it off. Long trips, it's on. If I'm putzing around on back roads, well then I'm in Sport/+ mode.
So yes I am a user.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Had it on for the first few weeks, but I've disabled it (and kept it off) since. One thing that bothers me is that the engine actually cranks to come back on; other cars I've driven with auto start/stop don't do this. Not a big deal.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
I keep it off unless on a long highway drive, as soon as I get off the highway, it gets disabled again.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Havok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of light
20k miles later, not a single one with auto start stop on. For those of you with bmws, I hate it on my 5 series!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 PM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
turned off at dealership, never to be used while i own the car

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Makes the car shudder on restart, no thanks...

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)

Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
Never even turned it on

Old 02-14-2014, 08:05 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
My wife's 2014 E350 Mercedes Cab has it. We both turn it off as soon as we get in the car.
Unlike the 991 it comes back on every time the car starts from off. My 997 has no such nonsense.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 PM
GMAC03 will become famous soon enoughGMAC03 will become famous soon enough
I'm shocked there hasn't been a recall

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone use the auto stop/start feature?