Does anyone use the auto stop/start feature?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by scatkins
Then what triggers turning it off on the MT? Just being stopped with the clutch engaged?
And not being in Sport or Sport Plus, correct. And possibly not being on an incline where the hill hold would trigger.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Then what triggers turning it off on the MT? Just being stopped with the clutch engaged?

When completely stopped, foot on brake, in neutral, and clutch disengaged. Then it will shut off the engine.

Then it starts the engine again when you push in the clutch pedal and move into gear.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

hehe whoops, clutch other way around, that's right.

But Who's on second??

Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nicoli
hehe whoops, clutch other way around, that's right.

But Who's on second??
So it's tied to being in Neutral..?

So if you just come up to a stop and just sit there in first gear with the clutch engaged, then it will never go off.. I guess that's not too bad. Normally if I was driving an MT I'd rarely be sitting there stopped in neutral..., normally I'd be in 1st with the clutch engaged and on the brake...

Seems lame for MT though..

Funny, just this morning (in my PDK) I was fiddling with the buttons on the console and I turned sport off.. And then immediately the engine died.. Scared me as I thought oh oh.. Then I realized I had accidently pushed the Autostart button I guess, so as soon as I turned sport off, the engine kicked off.. Convinced me I want the damn thing off...

Old 02-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold

So it's tied to being in Neutral..?

So if you just come up to a stop and just sit there in first gear with the clutch engaged, then it will never go off.. I guess that's not too bad. Normally if I was driving an MT I'd rarely be sitting there stopped in neutral..., normally I'd be in 1st with the clutch engaged and on the brake...

Seems lame for MT though..

Funny, just this morning (in my PDK) I was fiddling with the buttons on the console and I turned sport off.. And then immediately the engine died.. Scared me as I thought oh oh.. Then I realized I had accidently pushed the Autostart button I guess, so as soon as I turned sport off, the engine kicked off.. Convinced me I want the damn thing off...
Yep, you have to be in neutral with your foot off the clutch.

To be honest, though, that's how I usually rest at stoplights. I rarely sit there with the clutch depressed and the shifter in-gear.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Until recently, I tried to avoid start/shut but often would use the coasting feature often, especially on long highway road trips where I saw no need to waste gas when cruising.

But recently it dawned on me that I may just keep this car for 75k or even 100k miles and I began to fear that there's a chance, albeit small, that a bushing/coupler/rod etc. will prematurely wear down from the constant engaging/re-engaging of the drive axle.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM
dyim will become famous soon enough
I have never even tried mine to see if it works. Always disabled.

I'd rather pay for the gas than wear and tear on the starter.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 PM
MikeDi is on a distinguished road
Only on long trips for the coast function.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
Always use mine, except on spirited drives, then sport and sport + disable it. I also use the coast feature where applicable.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
I love loooooooooooooove LOVE the sailing function in heavy traffic when I'm in auto/normal ... but I hate haaaaaate HATE the start/stop crap that comes with it ! Porsche please disconnect these two functionalities !

Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I have tried it a few times, and it just creeps me out the way it stops the car, so it stays off now.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I am in the obvious minority, but I use it. One of the things I love about the car is starting it up. Love the roar and feel of it firing up. Now I get to hear and feel it after every stop light. There is a lag, but it has lessened the more I use it. I can deal with the 1/4 to 1/2 second of lag in traffic. If it is stop and go, I turn it off. I think the technology is cool.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
I haven't turned this on once since I got my car last June.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
The most useless feature yet on a 7 speed manual... I have it off and it stays off...

Old 02-18-2014, 05:45 PM
MrOutside is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by m5_2010
The most useless feature yet on a 7 speed manual... I have it off and it stays off...
+1

I haven't driven my car (7MT) since I picked it up in December, but I have never had this option turned on. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, the salesman set it to 'off'.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone use the auto stop/start feature?