Does driving a Porsche ever make you feel socially awkward?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Wow people, I have said it before and I will say it again...Its a car, nothing more, nothing less..Its not rare, nor is it a super car. Many cars are in that price range. Its not special. They make many 1,000's of them every year.

If owning a 911 impacts your life and lifestyle that much, I truly recommend that you sell it and buy a much cheaper car. Something that people wont comment on, stare at, race against, etc...

Again, life is short and not enjoying the finer things in life because of the car you drive is really a waste...perspective, perspective. Its metal, rubber, leather and plastic. Nothing more than that.

I love waking up early on a Sunday morning, loading my bike on my 911 and driving to the beach to meet up with my cycling buddies. Its my only mode of transport and because of that, I use it as it was meant to be used....as a car, not a china doll.

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche with bike.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	397406  
Old 07-25-2014, 04:14 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Wow people, I have said it before and I will say it again...Its a car, nothing more, nothing less..Its not rare, nor is it a super car. Many cars are in that price range. Its not special. They make many 1,000's of them every year.

If owning a 911 impacts your life and lifestyle that much, I truly recommend that you sell it and buy a much cheaper car. Something that people wont comment on, stare at, race against, etc...

Again, life is short and not enjoying the finer things in life because of the car you drive is really a waste...perspective, perspective. Its metal, rubber, leather and plastic. Nothing more than that.

I love waking up early on a Sunday morning, loading my bike on my 911 and driving to the beach to meet up with my cycling buddies. Its my only mode of transport and because of that, I use it as it was meant to be used....as a car, not a china doll.

Good luck!
Although I agree with your perspective (drive the cars - it's not like we all have 1962 Ferrari GTO's going grocery shopping), to suggest that simply because you don't place the high value on cars that others do, doesn't mean they are wrong.

I have guns that cost more than some cars, while others may have boats that cost more than some houses... Which one is more valuable? Nobody can say, but we can all say which is more valuable to us. Some place a lot of value on their cars, some even place them on a 1996 Ford Contour. Some people work for years to buy a 10 year old used car for $3k. I saw a women save up for years, to buy a $10k Boxster as her retirement gift to herself.

Just sayin'.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Although I agree with your perspective (drive the cars - it's not like we all have 1962 Ferrari GTO's going grocery shopping), to suggest that simply because you don't place the high value on cars that others do, doesn't mean they are wrong.

I have guns that cost more than some cars, while others may have boats that cost more than some houses... Which one is more valuable? Nobody can say, but we can all say which is more valuable to us. Some place a lot of value on their cars, some even place them on a 1996 Ford Contour. Some people work for years to buy a 10 year old used car for $3k. I saw a women save up for years, to buy a $10k Boxster as her retirement gift to herself.

Just sayin'.
I think you missed the point of my post. It has nothing to do with value, how much you make, how much you save, etc...

It's about how owning this car impacts your life and lifestyle. I have read so many posts on how people won't go to their favorite shop- restaurant - friends house, wherever because they are afraid that someone might look at their car wrong, get rained on, get a door ding, get raced to a light, whatever.

My point is...it's a car, nothing more, nothing less. When it impacts your life and keeps you from enjoying the things you enjoyed before you owned the car, then sell it! Because, in the end, it's just a car...you only have one life, enjoy it, don't let a piece of metal- rubber- plastic- leather dictate it.

And, none of this is to say that I don't place a high value on my 991, I do! Anything that puts a smile on my face as much as it does is highly valuable in my mind....but, I'm not gonna miss out on one thing in life that I want to do, go, see, eat, whatever because of my car. If anything, it brings me even more joy to drive it to those places.

Just sayin'

Last edited by socalsteve; 07-25-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:57 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by socalsteve
I think you missed the point of my post. It has nothing to do with value, how much you make, how much you save, etc...

It's about how owning this car impacts your life and lifestyle. I have read so many posts on how people won't go to their favorite shop- restaurant - friends house, wherever because they are afraid that someone might look at their car wrong, get rained on, get a door ding, get raced to a light, whatever.

My point is...it's a car, nothing more, nothing less. When it impacts your life and keeps you from enjoying the things you enjoyed before you owned the car, then sell it! Because, in the end, it's just a car...you only have one life, enjoy it, don't let a piece of metal- rubber- plastic- leather dictate it.

And, none of this is to say that I don't place a high value on my 991, I do! Anything that puts a smile on my face as much as it does is highly valuable in my mind....but, I'm not gonna miss out on one thing in life that I want to do, go, see, eat, whatever because of my car. If anything, it brings me even more joy to drive it to those places.

Just sayin'

+1. This man speaks the truth. People would do well to listen.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
The solution if you feel constrained as to what you do, where you go, park, etc is to have a daily driver that is not your porsche. Then you have options.

I run errands in my TurboS, but I would not take it to haul 2x4s or mulch from Home Depot, nor would I park it in a busy grocery store parking lot for any significant length of time. I have a Dadmobile for that.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 07-26-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:32 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 991TurboS
The solution if you feel constrained as to what you do, where you go, park, etc is to have a daily driver that is not your porsche. Then you have options.

I run errands in my TurboS, but I would not take it to haul 2x4s or mulch from Home Depot, nor would I park it in a busy grocery store parking lot for any significant length of time. I have a Dadmobile for that.
You're right. I have a Cayenne GTS for runs to Home Depot.

And NO ONE has ever asked me how much my cars cost.

Well, except one time coming out of the supermarket a Mom and her 8 year-old son asked how much my brand new 996TT cost. But that was clearly more of a curiosity and life lesson teaching moment and I played along while they kept increasing their guesses. Let the boy sit in it and started it up. Made his day!

The Mom's, too. I offered to come by that night and take her for a ride...but sadly, she declined.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
You're right. I have a Cayenne GTS for runs to Home Depot.

And NO ONE has ever asked me how much my cars cost.

Well, except one time coming out of the supermarket a Mom and her 8 year-old son asked how much my brand new 996TT cost. But that was clearly more of a curiosity and life lesson teaching moment and I played along while they kept increasing their guesses. Let the boy sit in it and started it up. Made his day!

The Mom's, too. I offered to come by that night and take her for a ride...but sadly, she declined.
But the real question is.. would you have let her son start it up if mom hadn't been a hot mom?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM
limbo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by speedsterr
+1. This man speaks the truth. People would do well to listen.
+2. Very well said.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by scatkins
But the real question is.. would you have let her son start it up if mom hadn't been a hot mom?
Oh sure. Admiration is a very sincere form of flattery.

In June we were in Central Washington State and made a pit stop at a McDonald's. When we came out there was a young man who works there, on a break and taking photos of the 991S. Probably not a lot of 911s on the Yakima Reservation.

I asked him to hand me his phone so I could take photos of him standing next to the car.

He was ecstatic. Even wanted to run inside and get us some free french fries. Told him that I worked at McDonalds when I was 16, too. It's a great country, anything is possible.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Not sure what type of ride we are talkin' about!!!! Hehehe!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Banned
panameraph is on a distinguished road

sounds like a bum

Old 12-25-2014, 08:29 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Being able to afford a nice car can bring on attention and headaches as well. Joy and pain?

Can you win?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-driving.html

Old 12-25-2014, 09:04 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fergie
Ahhh...not with that woman, thank you. She was a Fusion, not an Aston!
Her name was Alexis but she looked like a Hyundai?

- Patrick

Old 12-25-2014, 09:15 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
I got A LOT of attention in my Guards Red 981 BS with black forged wheels here in small town New Mexico. Our city population is 36,000 and the median income is about $30k. The interactions are largely positive except for the odd SRT neon that does a flyby or some kid in a 20 year old Nissan who wants to race at a stoplight.

So far the only a-holes I've encountered are the other Porsche drivers in town. One is a Guards red 981 CS and the other is a Guards Red 991 Targa. Neither of them even acknowledge me. The Targa owner actually stuck his nose in the air when I waved at him.

Dick.

- Patrick

Old 12-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Dexston is on a distinguished road
I wonder how OP feels about driving to work, haha.

I have read a lot of posts where owners feel there is some stigma attached to Porsche ownership. People hear Porsche and assume $100k+ price tags. They don't realize that you can get a fairly recent P-Car that looks modern and is just a few hundred a month more than a Honda Odyssey. I know many people who waste a few hundred a month on frivolous purchases but would still make comments about how they wish they could have a Porsche.

@SoCalSteve- We can just ignore your comments because you even put "LOOK" at me stickers on your bike, haha.

There is a local guy in So Cal who has a red cayman who throws his mountain bike on top. Need to do what you need to do.

In Orange County, Porsches are pretty common so they are not that much of a neck breaker. I am an enthusiast so I always like to check them out though.

However, it took my wife a couple weeks to get used to driving her car to work. Her Cayenne has been her dream car for years. When looking for a new car for her, she wanted a Honda Fit or a Cayenne. She isn't in it for the publicity and the show (as noted in her second car choice, haha) She loves how it looks and now she loves everything about it from the attention to detail on the inside to the purr of the engine. She actually just said, "I love how my car purrs."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does driving a Porsche ever make you feel socially awkward?