Commuting in a 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
I drive mine every day but my commute isn't very long. I have, however, taken a few long trips (several hours long) and it was a pleasure to drive and really quite comfortable.

I have the 18 way seats.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
I have the 14 way seats. My wife and I drove did a three week road trip and zero complaints. We did stop every couple of hours or so for sights, fuel, and food. No issues. We had to stop and think about the seats as it never entered our mind.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SergePorsche
Getting in and out of the car is easy. Just click on the eject button.

Alternatively, to get out of the car gracefully, use this technique...

1. Open the car door and place your left hand on the door sill toward the rear of the car.
2. While turning your torso to the left, lift your left foot and plant it on the ground perpendicular to the car, then lift your right foot and do the same thing. This will leave you facing 90 degrees to the left
3. Put your right hand around 11 o'clock on your steering wheel.
4. Pull, then push, yourself up using your arms which are planted against the door sill and the steering wheel.

You'll never get stuck, stumble, hurt your back, or look foolish, because it's your arms doing all the work and not your legs or back. :-)
Sounds a bit extreme...

This works fine for me;
  1. Left foot out door and on ground
  2. Left elbow against seat bolster
  3. Stand Up
  4. Swing right Foot out
No need to put finger prints smudges on your door sill, put weight on your steering wheel or put burn marks in your lower seat cushion (from rotating in the seat)

Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lunarx
Sounds a bit extreme...

This works fine for me;
  3. Stand Up
  4. Swing right Foot out
No need to put finger prints smudges on your door sill, put weight on your steering wheel or put burn marks in your lower seat cushion (from rotating in the seat)
Interesting ...since we are on this topic...I'll comtribute.
I never touch anything. Put my left foot out and pull myself out without any support. Don't want to put any marks on my wonderful 18 way natural leather espresso seats

Old 02-24-2015, 04:29 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lunarx
Sounds a bit extreme...

This works fine for me;
  3. Stand Up
  4. Swing right Foot out

I do something similar and sometimes use the door frame latch to stabilize/help me on the way out.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:00 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe we can come up with a new test for life expectancy...
http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-we...-you-will-live

Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 AM
C-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Fester
Interesting ...since we are on this topic...I'll comtribute.
I never touch anything. Put my left foot out and pull myself out without any support. Don't want to put any marks on my wonderful 18 way natural leather espresso seats
Believe me if I had a back that would allow for that this thread would never have been started

Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
speaking of exiting car, I screwed my left knee up for a month, including 3 days with cane by parking too close to the drivers side curb.. Instead of putting foot on asphalt I couldn't and put foot on top of concrete curb which is about door sill level....exited and somehow twisted interior knee ligament. I will not do that again...

Old 02-24-2015, 09:56 AM
C-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by barncobob
speaking of exiting car, I screwed my left knee up for a month, including 3 days with cane by parking too close to the drivers side curb.. Instead of putting foot on asphalt I couldn't and put foot on top of concrete curb which is about door sill level....exited and somehow twisted interior knee ligament. I will not do that again...
Dangit I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know if you guys are making me feel better or worse!!!!!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:20 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
I do kind of wish there was a grab handle in the roof, like most cars have.
It's less weight than a sunroof or rear window wiper.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 AM
Karl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud of
I lowered my 991 TTS 30 mm ,it harder to get in/out then before, but the 18 way seat are best seats I have every experience in any car. I can drive for hours and never feel any discomfort. I also have an Audi S8 within an hour my back hurts!

Old 02-26-2015, 02:27 AM
beaverlake is on a distinguished road
Dec 2014: 2 x 650 mile days in our 981 14 way seats, 500 + 940 mile days driving our new-to-us 991 C2s back home, again in the 14 way seats. Other than some butt fatigue after 8 hours absolutely no issues with seat comfort. BTW, those four days were back-to-back and driving alone and I'm an XL kind of guy, 65+ years old.

Very comfortable seats with plenty of adjustability. Shouldn't be any problem as a commuter.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:27 AM
dyim will become famous soon enough
I commute 1 hr each way twice a week. So 2 hrs a day twice a week in 14 way seats. I have a bad back also and have no issues with seat comfort. As mentioned previously, getting out of the car gracefully is another question. I push myself out with the right hand on the steering wheel. Every time I get out, I got reminded that now is the time to enjoy a low slung sports car like this.

Otoh, I can never get comfortable in my BMW for some strange reason. I start to wiggle when I am close to the one hour mark trying to find a comfortable position.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
64 miles round trip 5 days a week in the summer. 14 way seats....they are very comfortable.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
I drive ~20 miles a day in LA rush hour traffic. It takes about 45 minutes each way. Been doing this for over 18 months and I don't have a single complaint. The manual transmission is silky smooth, the seats are perfect, and the car rides great for a sports car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Commuting in a 991