PDK test drive for a manual guy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:58 PM
bumpinjeep is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jgreer902
That is why this forum is so great. You get perspectives and opinions from so many different points of view. You make your own decisions but it's great to hear the input.
Definitely sticking with PDK on my order but every day I have second thoughts.
The two big decisions on my car were going Lava Orange (I generally prefer to fly under the "radar"), and PDK.
There are a couple turns at my track that I know PDK will be so much better than my brain and my feet.
Right but when you hit the clutch, downshift, hit the brakes, tap the gas with your heal or hell, the side of your foot, it might be the best feeling in the world. Maybe not.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Check out this vid:

https://youtu.be/mj1Vk7SE-TI

The wet multi-plate clutches are so high tech.
No way I could be happy with a standard clutch after seeing that.

No clutch dust and much longer service life.
I do miss shifting though.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Jgreer902 is on a distinguished road
Got cold feet and changed my build. PDK out, MT in.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:22 PM
mithiral67 is a jewel in the roughmithiral67 is a jewel in the roughmithiral67 is a jewel in the rough
From learning to drive on a manual with my dad and throwing around 1976 vw bug with four glorious gears in high school, I have loved driving a manual. And after 18 years of buying nothing but manual cars, I fell in love with the pdk during atest drive. I am 10 months into only having 2 pedals and while a small part of me misses having a manual every couple weeks or so, I can't image having anything but the pdk for my daily driver.

It is really amazing how engaging it can be, albeit different than a manual. Its funny, it takes me more concentration than the manual ever did. With a manual coming into a corner hot, I would think, I need 2nd ,and my leg and arm would react with muscle memory alone and no thought. With the pdk, its, I need 2nd, all right, I am in 4th, that’s two fast pulls, then the glorious sound of the down shifts and its hard in and hard out smooth as can be.

I sometimes can’t decide if the PDK is so good that it makes a manual guy not miss a manual, or if this manual guy was a poser for 18 years and finely showed his true colors.