997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Reliable performance data for a 997.2 C2 (base)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:35 PM
vbb
vbb will become famous soon enoughvbb will become famous soon enough
Reliable performance data for a 997.2 C2 (base)?

I promise I have tried at least 5 different search terms both on here and on Google, and the information is hard to come by. I can't promise I'm using the right combination of search terms though, so if someone can point me to the correct thread, I'm open to it. The best of found is the 0-60times website, but not much else.

It seems as if the vast majority of information out there involves the C2S, but I'm looking for people who have done some real world testing of the 997.2 C2 with PDK (and sport chrono if possible). 0-60 times, quarter mile times, Nurburgring lap times, dyno results. You know, the kind of internet measuring contest stuff that has been going on since forums were created.

I've owned a host of performance oriented cars, both stock and modified, but this is my first Porsche. It feels quicker than other cars that I've had with similar "magazine" numbers, and I'm trying to determine if feel is real. I mean, I would swear it is faster from 30-70 than my modified ISF was, but that doesn't seem possible given the on paper figures. Those highway on-ramp acceleration rips in the Porsche are fun, even in this base model.

I can find all the above numbers easily regarding the 997.2 C2S... but the plain 'ol C2 it's as if nobody bothers to test those cars for some reason. I have a shop that has a dyno not far from my office, so I may go get some baseline numbers just for my own curiosity sake (by the way, which gear should I use... 5th?)

Bottom line is that no matter what the numbers say, the way this car feels, especially through turns, is unlike anything I've driven previously, and it is great fun to drive, so that's all the really matters.

Last edited by vbb; 08-20-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:17 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
the owner's manual should give 0-60 and top speed data. don't know how accurate it is, though.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:53 PM
vbb
Originally Posted by porschelady
the owner's manual should give 0-60 and top speed data. don't know how accurate it is, though.
Yes, I did see it in there, but I've also read in several different places that Porsche vastly under-reports their performance data. I don't know if that's true or just rumor, which is one reason I started this thread. It seems every magazine or online site that has tested the 997.2 always tests the S model and never the base. I couldn't even find anything on Youtube regarding the base, which surprised me. Surely someone has done some real world testing on these cars and can share some numbers, right?

On paper, the ISF in stock form was a 4.2 0-60 and 12.6 quartermile car that ran a lap around the 'ring in 8:18. All this data is easily accessible with a quick Google search and has been backed up (at least the 0-60 and QM times) with owners posting time sheets, dyno charts and other data. Kind of surprised the info for the base 911 seems so hard to come by.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:01 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
the owner's manual says that my '08c4 does 4.9 0-60 and 174mph top end. I'll never find out on either because I'm not going to launch from the line like testers do and will never find enough room to test top end. In sport chrono it seems faster than that just from hard 10mph accelerations but that is impossible to guage. I've only had room to get it up a little over 120 but it got there pretty quick and was still accelerating hard when i started running into traffic.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:58 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
Most manufacturers put there most powerful cars on the ring, and when the 997 came the S was the top dog. I have always found the data that manufacturers and car mags throw out there to not always be what you end up getting in the real world. If you have a gearshift car it might mean dropping the clutch and perfect launch and shifts, and like other posters have said treating the car in a way you probably never would. Lets face it what a trained Porsche factory driver(in a car set up to get the best out of it) can do on the ring really does not matter in real world driving, it is just bragging rights till someone beats that time. What you said in the end is a good point it feels great to drive, that is all that really matters. Enjoy

Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
A Japanese based magazine/video testing had a .2 C2 PDK ran 12.1s 1/4 mile. On youtube, somewhere..

Old 08-21-2015, 12:09 PM
vbb
Originally Posted by Arerrac911
A Japanese based magazine/video testing had a .2 C2 PDK ran 12.1s 1/4 mile. On youtube, somewhere..
If accurate, that would possibly explain why I'm feeling this car is quicker than the magazines or Porsche produced data says it is. Again, I understand that track and lap times are under ideal conditions with professional drivers, so I wouldn't expect to replicate them myself, but it does give you a sense of what the car is capable of, and also allows you to benchmark against some other cars.

Again, my previous car, the ISF, is typically a mid-12s in the quartermile type of car, and with the modifications I had, maybe 12.3-12.4 under perfect conditions with a great launch. I fully realize that it is a heavier car with a V8 and more torque so the power delivery is different. That said, the 997.2 just feel quicker, even though the published numbers have it right around or even slower than the ISF.

I did not get this car expecting to have more straight line speed... there were a ton of other cars I could have gotten if that were the goal... but it is just nice to have expected to have to give up some of that only to find that it doesn't feel like I gave up any of it in making the switch.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 PM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vbb
If accurate, that would possibly explain why I'm feeling this car is quicker than the magazines or Porsche produced data says it is. Again, I understand that track and lap times are under ideal conditions with professional drivers, so I wouldn't expect to replicate them myself, but it does give you a sense of what the car is capable of, and also allows you to benchmark against some other cars.

Again, my previous car, the ISF, is typically a mid-12s in the quartermile type of car, and with the modifications I had, maybe 12.3-12.4 under perfect conditions with a great launch. I fully realize that it is a heavier car with a V8 and more torque so the power delivery is different. That said, the 997.2 just feel quicker, even though the published numbers have it right around or even slower than the ISF.

I did not get this car expecting to have more straight line speed... there were a ton of other cars I could have gotten if that were the goal... but it is just nice to have expected to have to give up some of that only to find that it doesn't feel like I gave up any of it in making the switch.

Oh believe me when I say your Carrera is much quicker on a straight line than your ISF, especially on the highway.

you shouldn't have a problem with most 4-500 Hp cars in a roll race on the highway. Porsche powers are not Horse powers.