996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need source for slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Ah yes, the old "WHY NOT USE PF" question...

Performance Friction DOES NOT make a brake rotor for the TWIN TURBO. You can buy them all day long for the GT2/3, but none for the 996TT, last I checked.

That, coupled with the cost, and you have my reasons for pushing so hard for the coleman racing solution.

Mike

Old 09-23-2008, 04:50 AM
MariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the rough
Ah, just though they would fit since he was using 6 pistons calipers and 350 MM discs, my fault!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yup, Anyone who has a GT3 rotor can post the offset for the hat... I'll post the offset for the 996TT rotor later to verify the difference.

Mike

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 AM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
PFC rotors do not work with turbo's. Unless you change out for wheel carrier/hub.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Just because the discs are developing small cracks near the holes does not mean they are bad. Keep a close eye on them and you will probably find that they don't travel any further unless they are subjected to the heat of track conditions.

Race Technologies can provide anything you need. Give them a call for the part numbers you need to order and I can order them, or call me and I will do the footwork for you.

http://www.racetechnologies.com/

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 AM
mglamarche is infamous around these parts
Steel Rotors and Cracks

The appearance of small micro fractures that ultimately become the visible cracks that "connect the dots" on the drilled rotors (and can be seen in the slotted rotors as well) can be slowed down by taking the extra time to allow the rotors to slowly cool after playing hard on the track. For four years I drove the heck out of my 993 Turbo at the track and couldn't understand why I would go through rotors so often. The two years after that, I used the "cool down lap" and slow driving through the pits, to allow for a steady flow of air to cool the rotors. When I have a "hot" session, I will also roll my parked car a few inches one direction or the other, to prevent the pads from acting as a sump on my rotors.
For those of you looking for slotted cup, steel rotors for your 996 turbo, do your research and include Maltby Motorsports in it. 425.481.1706. The only thing I gain by sharing this information, is knowing that others who own 996 turbos with Gen 1ceramic rotors can have a reasonably inexpensive solution without spending all of the time I did.
Michael

Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 AM
350 mm Steel Cup Rotors for 996 TT

Mike,

I didn't see your post from back in April . 996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction! until this morning. I appreciate the time and energy you put into sharing all of this very valuable information. Frankly, had I read it first, I would have called you to collaborate. It appears that we have both come upon a solution to the PCCB situation that will allow us to keep our OEM 6-piston rotors and not be subject to the "Porsche Tax”. You saved me a bunch of time by sharing your numbers. Mine are the same, so I will post my photos (without numbers) and a brief explanation of my experience. Thanks again!

Michael

Old 09-23-2008, 01:28 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Please post the numbers so the rest of us can learn also.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Larry,
Please know that I am NOT ignoring you or speaking empty words. As you know, the markets are all circling the drain and I am busy doing damage control. I promise I will get this information out ASAP. If you need help immediately, give me call at 206.383.6938.
Best Regards, Michael