996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Radio Wiring for 2001 TT w/Nav

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Radio Wiring for 2001 TT w/Nav

I bought an 01 996 double din radio installation kit and a nice new Pioneer Radio/Nav system to go with it. Sounds like a piece of cake so far right?

Not so fast... The connectors supplied with the kit don't even come close to matching, I did get the power plug to go in, but nothing else will go. Here is what it looks like...

This is the picture I sent to the company that made the kit, so where it says "your" read as "kit supplier".

Does anyone know which wires in the Porsche connectors correspond to the speakers, Nav, Radio mute... a wiring diagram would be great!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Mike01996TT is on a distinguished road
I did this on my 01 996 TT with factory NAV. Found a bunch of data and I have the diagrams as well. If you PM me I will send you what I have. You can look here as well. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index..._gopid__170712&

On mine the Harmon amp was in the trunk. It has some kind of security feature that wouldn't work without a connection to the old head unit. I ended up replacing the amp as well. I was able to use the existing preamp wires but you need the pink connector with the 4 RCAs on it. The one in your picture is just the power wires. It wasn't really that hard after I found the data but I spent several evenings researching and trying to make the old amp work.

It will be worth it when you are done. The old factory system was lacking in many ways.

Mike

Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
In a previous post, someone had found the mute wire (+12v) behind the lower console in the front for telephone....I wonder if anyone was able to locate the audio in behind the deck for the phone.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
Oops, sorry to Hijack

Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I was able to get a wiring diagram and I am certain that I have all the speakers wired properly, but the Amp won't turn on. You might be right about the security feature, but there has to be a way to get around that (such as enter the code on the old unit - set power to a specific connector and keep it powered forever).

It doesn't make sense to lock out the Amp - it's the radio they are trying to prevent from theft. I think you can plug in any head unit and enter the correct code for the head unit to make it work - does anyone know different?

I wired the switched power to the amp to the +12 ignition power for the radio but still no-go... Anyone?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by vv23
In a previous post, someone had found the mute wire (+12v) behind the lower console in the front for telephone....I wonder if anyone was able to locate the audio in behind the deck for the phone.
Just to answer your thread hijack... The little connector for the phone that you speak of, has no audio connectors - just power, switched power, ground and radio mute. I'm thinking the sound comes out of the phone itself once the radio is muted through the "mute" wire. If the sound was supposed to come out of the radio, the connectors would be there.