996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What does a dead catalytic converter looks like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
What does a dead catalytic converter looks like?

Hi there,

I've had a P0420 a few times. I was about to call it a bad O2 sensor when I was told to look at a plot of the O2 sensor voltage pre and post cat. That would rule the sensor vs. the cat.

Just in case any of you is wondering what it should and shouldn't look like.

See for yourself:

Bank 1 is the "bad cat", ahah.... Basically a pass-through where the post sensor reads the same as the pre. Meaning that nothing get's done. Nada!

Bank 2 shows the "good cat", Where the post is nice and flat, showing the cat is oxydizing nicely and does what it is supposed to do.

Plots done using Durametric USB Cable

My car is a 2002 C4S, 7 years warranty on the catalytics. That will have to be paid for by Porsche

(Sorry if this is a repeat but I couldn't find this easily so figured I would share again)

Old 02-26-2009, 09:39 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I just had the same codes and got both of them replaced under the emissions warranty.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Cool

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I just had the same codes and got both of them replaced under the emissions warranty.
Yep, found your post on Rennlist ! I added my graphs there as well...

I only have Bank 1 dead for now. Problem is: I cleared the code again so I have to wait for it to come back before I bring it to the stealer for a warranty job.

I was told by my trusted independant Porsche mechanic that it will come back when driving nice and easy around 2000rpm for long enough... This is hard to do!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Hmmm... I didn't work all that hard to make mine pop on. Then again, maybe my cats were in worse shape. Either way, it'll come back. Anything that is warranty related should be left on the dash. No harm in reading it, but I wouldn't clear it.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Just to close the loop on this. I finally brought my car to the dealer and they confirmed Bank 1 was dead and while they were at it, claimed that Bank 2 had some loose substrate and changed it too...

So here I am with a 7 years old car and TWO brand new catalytic converters courtesy of PCNA and the State of California... thanks guys!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Which is bank 1 and which is 2? Is 1 the Driver's side?

Cheers
Aaron

Old 03-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Purplxd
Which is bank 1 and which is 2? Is 1 the Driver's side?

Cheers
Aaron
I believe Bank 1 is the driver side cylinders/catalytic (passenger side muffler)...

Old 06-20-2009, 10:15 PM
enoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to behold
whats the warranty on the emissions in cali? all porsche cars are covered right?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by enoyskt
whats the warranty on the emissions in cali? all porsche cars are covered right?
Check your owner's manual for your particular car/model...

Mine was 70,000miles/7years . I believe the new ones now are 80,000miles/8years

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
got the code at 80,240 miles. so i am looking for some cats

jb

Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Question

Originally Posted by JB Lifeguard
got the code at 80,240 miles. so i am looking for some cats

jb
are you just looking to buy OEM cats?