996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch Pedal Squeaking Resolved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 AM
gbennett is on a distinguished road
Clutch Pedal Squeaking Resolved

Over the past few weeks I've begun noting a squeaking when I depress the clutch pedal on my 2003 C4S. I've had squeaky pedals on other cars which never pointed to any real problems, so I wasn't terribly concerned.

Unfortunately, this developed very rapidly into a problem. I went to a PCA brunch and fun run this Saturday. Just as we left for the fun run, the clutch pedal went from squeaking to a crunching and grinding sound. Then a few times the pedal would not release all the way back up; I had to push back down and wiggle the pedal for it to fully disengage (well, engage actually) and return to the up position. This was bad.

So I bailed out of the fun run and got the car home. I was pretty certain that the sounds and crunching were coming from the pedal and mechanism, rather than from the transmission and clutch. So I wedged myself into an impossible position and looked around to see what I could. Not much.

After some searching here and on the various Renn- boards, I started to suspect the helper spring. So I re-wedged myself under the dash, and removed the helper spring and canister. Here was the result:

Though finding it hard to believe a spring broke into three pieces like this, I was relieved that there was such a simple culprit. And having read the various posts on removing the helping spring, I am perfectly happy to have removed it without replacing the spring.

All in all, a pretty simple solution.

Greg

Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
can you post more pix of you car, i love the Stance!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
ericyingling is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting this. Nice to see some additional DIY solutions on the board.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Ersel is on a distinguished road
Mine was recently diagnosed with the same problem. My spring was broken in 2 pieces (I saw it). Once the dealer replaced it...it was like driving a new car.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 AM
150shot is on a distinguished road
SO we dont need this spring at all?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
What's the difference between spring and spring-less, in driving sensation?
jp

Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Ersel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
What's the difference between spring and spring-less, in driving sensation?
jp

A mushy pedal versus a springy one. Springy is much better!!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Where exactly is the helper spring located?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Based on all my reading over on the various Renn- boards, I understand that the helper spring is not needed at all. It just assists in depressing the clutch pedal. Many people on the other boards remove them just as a matter of course.

As for experience after, I can't really compare. I've only had this car about 2 months and when I had the PPI done, they said the clutch pedal felt stiffer than stock but that it was not a concern. I also had a friend drive it, and in comparison to the 996TTs he had driven recently also claimed my pedal was stiffer than stock. And all this was before the spring actually broke on me.

So since removing the spring altogether, I haven't noticed an increase in pressure. I will say that I have to re-accustom myself to driving the car though; I'm stalling a lot.

The location of the helper spring is at the very top of the clutch pedal, near its pivot. It's very hard to see, but a little easier if you pull out the plastic AC tubing. The spring sits in a canister of about 1.5" diameter and maybe 3" long. It's a challenge to see it, let alone remove it, especially if like me you get dizzy lying on your back upside down.

Greg

Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Zookie
can you post more pix of you car, i love the Stance!!!
Zookie,

Thanks! I haven't taken any pics myself yet, but maybe I'll post up a handful or so in the running "The Official 996 C4s" thread that the dealer took. Plus since owning the car, it hasn't looked nearly as clean as when the dealer took photos!

Greg

Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys!!! I replaced my cruise control switches twice and still it worked intermitantly and then after seeing this site, I found that my clutch pedal seemed to ride a little low and when I would pull it up with the top of my shoe the cruise would work. Well,
when I had the spring replaced the old one looked identical to gbennetts picture.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Goldduster
Thanks Guys!!! I replaced my cruise control switches twice and still it worked intermitantly and then after seeing this site, I found that my clutch pedal seemed to ride a little low and when I would pull it up with the top of my shoe the cruise would work. Well,
when I had the spring replaced the old one looked identical to gbennetts picture.
Mine just broke yesterday, my Clutch pedal is been feeling wierd all day... I heard something snap yesterday and i remembered this thread.

I confirmed that mine is broken after getting my self down there with a Light..

Can you guys up here who replaced the Spring please tell me the Part Number and how to Replace it or link me to the threads? Thanks

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
jeneric996 is on a distinguished road
http://members.rennlist.com/jandreas...al%20Noise.pdf

The spring is called the AS Servo S: part #996-423-081-20 and lists for $56.33.

Accumulator is the clutch spring that helps the clutch pedal. You cannot adjust it.

It is installed between the clutch pedal arm and a bracket. Look up in the clutch pedal area. You will see a cynlinder-shaped object. That holds the spring.

My spring inside this cynlinder broke into three pieces at 55,000 miles. It took me 1/2 hour to install. You need to insert a cotter pin (or small nail) into a hole to keep the spring from shooting out.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by jeneric996
http://members.rennlist.com/jandreas...al%20Noise.pdf

The spring is called the AS Servo S: part #996-423-081-20 and lists for $56.33.
Thanks is that the Latest Part Number? Can i buy the Spring only and not the whole Assembly?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 PM
jeneric996 is on a distinguished road
That should be the latest part number; I installed mine just a few months ago. You have to buy the whole thing.

I think someone used the old case/cynlinder and installed a spring that has less tension from Home Depot. You could do the same, but for $50, I didn't bother.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Squeaking Resolved