996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Time for Some Body Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Haha for sure. I finish studies June next year and will be all about reclaiming my social life and getting some of my car time back in. Also have to get the alignment done on the 69 Super Bee I finished so I can get it on the road too.

Haha very sweet! Let Tony know I recommended him. Are you going to be a nutter like me and install them yourself?! Haha.

PS The template he sent me was a little smaller than needed, which is ok, just have to use a grinder and take a little bit off, test fit, little bit off, test fit, etc, etc..

Cheers
Aaron

Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 AM
MadeInPorshe will become famous soon enoughMadeInPorshe will become famous soon enough
Nice! The 69 Super Bee is a sick looking muscle car.
I don't know how you do it, but i would have the crazy itch to need to take either of em out !
Work hard to play hard!

I will do, as for being the nutter you are, anything to do with cutting into the cars panels freak me out! But after seeing you complete it, i think i may just have to pick up the grinder my self

Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Soooo, the mods just keep continuing. I sold my lobsters and ordered some 19" Ruger Mesh in Hyper Silver.

Also received my Decante 997 style LED rear tail lights last week.

So my car is pretty custom at this point. Obviously won't be for everyone, but I'm loving how it is all coming together.

Cheers
Aaron

Last edited by Purplxd; 09-07-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 AM
MadeInPorshe will become famous soon enoughMadeInPorshe will become famous soon enough
I just placed my order on the side ducts!

I was curious what did you use to cut the quarters?
Also did you have to cut more underneath to route your turbo air scoop to where the SC intake is?

This is exactly what all the SC 996 needs!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 AM
I used an air powered cutoff wheel like this: http://www.alltradetools.com/catalog...utoff-tool.jpg

As the template was a little smaller than needed, I had to use a grinder to expand the hole as necessary to make it fit nice.

If you use a grinder, you have to hold it very firm in your hands. If you aren't holding it firmly, it will bounce and can catch the metal making a bit of a bend in the metal. No big deal, you just pull it back in with pliers, but... just better not to deal with it.

Also, watch the heat with a grinder. It can heat up the metal quickly and it can also take off a lot of material quickly. If it gets too hot you can cause warpage in the quarter, that is bad news bears. Just use it for small adjustments and take your time.

Test fit, test fit, test fit, prior to epoxy. What I did was test fit it, then made some marks with a felt pen so I knew where the right alignment was. I used a metal sanding wheel to get the paint off for bonding, but of course below the alignment marks. Then you'll also want to use tape to hold it tightly in place. I also ended up using magnets for vinyl wrap on the tap so it stayed holding the duct tight to the body.

Cheers
Aaron

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM
So to the comment about functional, there is a gap above the inner wheel well of the rear quarter. This is larger in the Turbos as it has more space being a wide body, but effectively it still functions.

To make it a cold air intake that is highly effective, you'd need to create an opening in the rear engine bay on the passenger side where the air intake is. I haven't done this yet as it would involve removing a lot of bits and bobs to get enough space to do the cut. Also, I need to plan this out at it is likely a structural area for the engine bay. Therefore, I have to plan on the shape, size, and reinforcement if necessary.

There are gaps and holes in the area, so more fresh air will make it into the engine bay with the mod. However, it will be much better when you open it up a little in the future.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Well this project is taking a long time... welcome to the world of taking an MBA and having twin two year olds...

Anyways, Had to take it out today for a delivery and thought I'd show the progress while it was out of the garage. I am determined to have it back on the road this summer...

Cheers
Aaron

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche01131.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	202963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porshce01132.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	202964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche01133.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	202965  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like it will be a real nice ride once done.

Are you planning on keeping both 3rd brake lights?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Looks like it will be a real nice ride once done.

Are you planning on keeping both 3rd brake lights?
Nope. I have a delete for the one in the rear deck that is a Porsche part. I have a new LED 3rd brake light that will only be in the rear wing/decklid.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
I am reviving my thread... It has been a very long time since I posted on here as the car didn't get much love last year with finishing off my MBA, kids, work, yadda yadda...

Anyways, I made a project plan and am on pace with having it on the road this Spring. Here are some updated pics... Not so sure about the LED parking lights in blue, may shift to white. That's a minor change later though...

Cheers
Aaron

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4347.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	323058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4430.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	323059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4433.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	323060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4435.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	323061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4463.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	323062  

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM
RDykmans is on a distinguished road
That's looking very nice! I'm curious about the amount of labor to mount the new bumper cover. I'm looking at getting a 997.2 GT3 style for my 99 C2 NB (front bumper cover only) from Precision Porsche or the Xtreme product and am wondering if this is something I can install myself. I have removed my OEM GT aero front a few times to clean/work on radiators which is a relatively easy job. How much fitting do the new front bumper covers require? That rear looks nice as well, how complicated are those to DIY?

thanks

Rich

Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 AM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Cant say I am a fan of the blue... Go white.

Where is the paint? Its 2014!!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by NineEreven
Cant say I am a fan of the blue... Go white.

Where is the paint? Its 2014!!
Ya, I'll probably switch it. Don't know until you try, right?

Haha, as I said, finishing an MBA and raising twin boys can be a little distracting. It will be done by Spring (March/April).

Cheers
Aaron

Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by RDykmans
That's looking very nice! I'm curious about the amount of labor to mount the new bumper cover. I'm looking at getting a 997.2 GT3 style for my 99 C2 NB (front bumper cover only) from Precision Porsche or the Xtreme product and am wondering if this is something I can install myself. I have removed my OEM GT aero front a few times to clean/work on radiators which is a relatively easy job. How much fitting do the new front bumper covers require? That rear looks nice as well, how complicated are those to DIY?

thanks

Rich
If you've taken them off before, same deal. Depending on the bumper, you may have to trim the crash bar a bit, but that's simple.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
What rear bumper is that and any fitment/finish issues? Was eventually thinking of going with that same style bumper. GT3tek have the Polyurethane version but haven't heard too many reviews on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for Some Body Upgrades