996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Redshift is on a distinguished road
Fantastic - killer job. For someone starting fresh, besides the cost of the mini, about how much $ and time would you say is required to do this?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:46 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Aright I took the plunge thanks to pfbz! I am running mine through the stock Bose system using a Sosche IPRDS. I was also able to retain my cup holder function by trimming the lower support bracket about an eighth of an inch. I relocated the Bose system to the lower center console. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. The Sosche IPRDS charges the IPad Mini with no problems. The IPRDS displays the name of the song on the radio and dash displays. The Mini cuts on with the turn of the key. I decided to go with a 32GB LTE IPad Mini and connect it to a 32 GB WI Drive that will give me 64 GB of storage for music, etc... I also have a Go Point BT1 Bluetooth dongle connected to the OBDII port. Works great with Harry's Laptimer and also has a cool diagnostics dash board. For tunes I have Pandora, IHeart Radio and XM Sirus Apps plus my ITunes library. For navigation I'm using TomTom and built in Apple Maps.
Nice!

Definitely check out Waze as a gps application if you haven't already. Free and far and away my pick from the ones I've tried.

Also, what is the Scosche 'IPDRS'?

Last edited by pfbz; 03-12-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Diemsea
pfbz -- I noticed you have the iPad Mini "home" button on the right side. Curious about the decision to put on right vs left? Can it be installed either way? Any particular reason you put it on the right?
Home button on the right is more natural/normal for me... It's easy to reach and I can press home without my arm blocking the view of the screen.

No reason it wouldn't work the other way as well, just make sure that the ipad isn't resting on the volume up/down buttons.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Redshift
Fantastic - killer job. For someone starting fresh, besides the cost of the mini, about how much $ and time would you say is required to do this?
Cost depends on what you plan on playing the iPad through... If you already have a stereo with an Apple USB input, really no additional cost. My Pioneer head unit with all the wiring harness adapters was less than $200.

As for time, I could probably do the dremel work to fit another one in less than an hour. Much more time was spent trying to figure everything out before I started modifying things...

Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pfbz
Nice!

Definitely check out Waze as a gps application if you haven't already. Free and far and away my pick from the ones I've tried.

Also, what is the Scosche 'IPDRS'?
I'll have to check Waze out. IPFMRDS ( left out the FM) is an FM modulator made specifically for the iPhone. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HwETdHr...l?i=142IPFMRDS

It works very well and will enable input into the Bose Most system w/o the cost of Denison, etc...

Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
?
I used to agree with this until Google came out with their updated Maps app for IOS devices which FINALLY comes with voice navigation.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Here are the pics of my install (I apologize for the glare). I moved the stock Bose stereo to the lower center console and connected the the iPad mini via Sosche IPFMRDS. Thanks to PFBZ I was able to easily select the appropriate software including jailbreaking my iPad. The jailbreak lets the iPad start and stop with the ignition. It also gives me options to reboot without access to the power button.

[/IMG]

A few things I would still like to figure out would be how to route the audio and microphone from my iPhone to take calls through the iPad. Not sure if this is possible. Since this is not my DD, I would also like to cut the LTE on and off with the ignition to minimize not having a charge when the car sits for awhile. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

Last edited by Slopeslider2; 03-13-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Redshift for me it was the cost of the iPad (32gb LTE) around $500 and the Socshe IPFMRDS $150. The rest was time. It took me a couple of hours to complete. That includes moving the A/C controls, Bose Stereo, modifying the horseshoe and the rear support. To move the Bose system, I had to remove the lower center console and modify with a dremel to get it to fit. The wires were a bit short. I had to place the stereo in the in console with the console removed plug in the harness and then reinstall the console to make it work. All and all not to hard of a job, if you are patient in your approach.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Diemsea is on a distinguished road
Slopeslider2 -- how is the audio quality using the IPFMRDS? I see a few people complaining on the Crutchfield site, others saying audio quality is good.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Diemsea
Slopeslider2 -- how is the audio quality using the IPFMRDS? I see a few people complaining on the Crutchfield site, others saying audio quality is good.
The sound quality is very good. It never cuts out. The only negative is it isn't quite as loud as a CD. Still plenty loud though.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 AM
A few things I would still like to figure out would be how to route the audio and microphone from my iPhone to take calls through the iPad. Not sure if this is possible. Since this is not my DD, I would also like to cut the LTE on and off with the ignition to minimize not having a charge when the car sits for awhile. Anyone know how to accomplish this?
Install looks great!

I don't think the iphone can use an ipad as a bluetooth 'speakerphone'. I use the pioneer deck for this function, but of course not applicable with the factory bose system. I'm sure you can't do this normally, but there might possibly be some cydia app that allows it, though I've never been able to find one. Let us know if you find anything...

Not sure what you mean about shutting the LTE off with the ignition... If you have your ipad go to sleep with the ignition, it should also be shutting off the LTE. iPad power consumption during sleep mode should be very minimal...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Great work you guys. I may wait until the ipad mini 2 comes out and let the flood of original minis hit the market for much lower cost before attempting this but it sure is tempting me.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Great work you guys. I may wait until the ipad mini 2 comes out and let the flood of original minis hit the market for much lower cost before attempting this but it sure is tempting me.
I was torn and decided no time like the present 😃. If you purchase through AT&T and add to your data plan ($10 per month) you get $100 off.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM
I was torn and decided no time like the present 😃. If you purchase through AT&T and add to your data plan ($10 per month) you get $100 off.
I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan. Do they even let you add a mini to that plan at $10/mo?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Install looks great!

I don't think the iphone can use an ipad as a bluetooth 'speakerphone'. I use the pioneer deck for this function, but of course not applicable with the factory bose system. I'm sure you can't do this normally, but there might possibly be some cydia app that allows it, though I've never been able to find one. Let us know if you find anything...

Not sure what you mean about shutting the LTE off with the ignition... If you have your ipad go to sleep with the ignition, it should also be shutting off the LTE. iPad power consumption during sleep mode should be very minimal...
i noticed that he battery drained down to 79% over night. When I cut the data off I had little to no drain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]