996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New guy! 996 Cab Project thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 PM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chivobones
Wow, the level of detail is amazing. Pun intended. I need those interior lights. Do tell. I'm gonna have to step it up now to get your level of perfection. It's 79 degrees in SoCal so I have no excuse. Just got parts from OE Porsche Parts. Will work on my trim bits when the car comes back from the upholstry shop (new top/headliner). Cannot wait to see more of your updates...

Thank you for the comments, was starting to Think I had a monolouge here, hehe

The lights you gan get from ECS here on the forum. And beleive me, they realy look 100 times better in real Life, pictures I took didnīt do them right.

Update on the Project:
SunCoast have now shipped my GT3 MK1 side rockers

My rims has been away for a while, but I spoke to the workshop and they are almost done. Maybe next week I will get them back.

I will Clean the Engine this weekend. Then I have to wait patiently for the parts to arrive, so I can start assemble the car.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Your car is really coming along great. What are you using to clean the wheel wells and such. I plan to do this level of detailing as well when I get my car back. Having the AOS done now and it's taking forever. Plus the weather is so crappy and this would be a great time for me to do all the detailing like you. Can't do any much more on the wifes Infiniti, and the Land Rover I never detail it or anything. It loves mud and just acts up when I clean it, lol. Thanks for the info about the LED lights. I will order them, they look good. Did you have to do any wiring, or are they plug and play?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 PM
cheekybird is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by silverfizz
Today I did by far the most timeconsuming thing ever! I cleaned my Wheel wells. Or at least one of them. (have 3 more to go, so my 3 next sundays are saved )
Took me 4, FOUR!!! hours to get one of them Clean.
Still need to Clean the things surounding the Wheel well though.
Did you use any special cleaning product for your wheel wells or just good old fashion elbow grease, water and a brush? Looks great! Also what do the interior LED's do for you? Brighter at night when door opens or? I noticed driving at night the center console and shifter area is very dark. Is there a mini LED light that lights that area or something when driving?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:15 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bernard.barbour
Your car is really coming along great. What are you using to clean the wheel wells and such. I plan to do this level of detailing as well when I get my car back. Having the AOS done now and it's taking forever. Plus the weather is so crappy and this would be a great time for me to do all the detailing like you. Can't do any much more on the wifes Infiniti, and the Land Rover I never detail it or anything. It loves mud and just acts up when I clean it, lol. Thanks for the info about the LED lights. I will order them, they look good. Did you have to do any wiring, or are they plug and play?

The leds are a good DIY. Plug and play. Use plastic Tools when you pic out the old lights, and you wont scrath anything.

Well for the cleaning I did this:

1. Place a plasticbag over the brakes

2. Unsrew the plasticfenders inside the wheelwells (more dirt will now apear magicly)

3. Brush off as much dry dirt as you can with a rimbrush

4. Then use degreasing (a good one!) and soak down the entire wheelwell

5. Use som more degrasing and soak some more, while you have a beer

6. Spray with high preasure to Clean as much as you can (if you dont have high presuare, use a normal hose and spray)

7. Use mediumhotwater with some good carcleanersoap in it and start to brush the wheelwell and surrounding, here I used a dishbrush - worked liked a charm, and you could Clean every Little twist

8. The will be some places where the dirt is realy hard, spray with degreaser (good one!) directly on that spot and Clean direct with the brush (no water)

9. Use a spunch with some freash new water with good carcleanersoap in it, and start cleaning the well wells as you normaly wash the car

10. Use the waterhose to wash all the soap off

11. Let it dry

12. Clean the plastic, you might need to scrup it, dont worry, you can restore it!

13. Spray the plastic with a good Product to restore the fine black Surface

14. Mount the plastic back on

15. Have Another beer, and anjoy the result

Originally Posted by cheekybird
Did you use any special cleaning product for your wheel wells or just good old fashion elbow grease, water and a brush? Looks great! Also what do the interior LED's do for you? Brighter at night when door opens or? I noticed driving at night the center console and shifter area is very dark. Is there a mini LED light that lights that area or something when driving?

Well, the Products I used the normal Products you can buy at the local dealer, but not the cheap ones, the good ones. But the cleaningprocess was 80% good old scrubbing with water and brush

Well, no minilights while I am driving. As you say, its dark. I am thinking off mouting leds where you ceep your feet to lighting things up a bit. The leds only improve the lights you allready have, and make it more of a "2014 feeling" when you open the doors.

Last edited by silverfizz; 02-01-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Today theese beauties arrived!

Also made the final decision, and ordered the IPD plenum and VR tuning from Vivid Racing, Think it would go great together with my evoms cai.

To bad its like 0 degress here and snow for a couple of more months

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelcentercaps.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	327370  

Last edited by silverfizz; 02-01-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Enjoying this thread! Keep up the good work - you did well on the inner fenders!
Mark/Pelican Parts

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Enjoying this thread! Keep up the good work - you did well on the inner fenders!
Mark/Pelican Parts

Thx Mark!

Ok, so some new things has arrived.

I got my black log bolts from ECS TUNING (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...set-today.html) realy fast shipping and good guys to deal with. There was one log bolt missing in the package and 15 minutes after I emailed them, a new one was one the way to me - super great service

I also got my new belt, 911 black logo and non-smoker kit from the local porschedealer.

Name:	logboltsblak.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	328091   Click image for larger version

Name:	nonsmoker.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	328092   Click image for larger version

Name:	newthings.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	328093  

Last edited by silverfizz; 02-01-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Here are som Before and after pics with the logo. What do you guys Think?

Hit or miss?

I also decided to change the belt, while I was in the garage. Wasnt to tricky.

Can you guess wich one is the new on?.....

I had to draw the belts way in the engineroom Before I could replace it. Otherwhise I Think I never would have got the belt in the right Place - feel free to use my super advanced drawing if someone also are thinking to change there belt

Name:	911before.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	328094   Click image for larger version

Name:	911after.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	328095   Click image for larger version

Name:	newbeltvsold.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	328097   Click image for larger version

Name:	beltdrawing.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	328098  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 AM
chivobones is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Keep them posts coming. And PROPS to Pelican Parts, got my aero kit from you guys a few months ago for a great price. And it looks better than I hoped, since the wife even noticed. LoL

Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the props and glad the aero kit was a hit!
Mark/Pelican Parts

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-04-2014, 04:22 AM
Tdurden032 is on a distinguished road
Looks awesome - great job!

Old 02-08-2014, 04:32 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Thanks Silverfizz

Today I spent several hours on the base at the auto craft shop. I took all of the wheels off, cleaned the wheel wells, calipers, some other underside plastics and more. I also took all the lug bolts and put them to a wire wheel brush. Initially I bought some paint. I was going to clean them, then paint. After putting them to the brush they came out really good so I'll be taking the paint back to get my $7.95 (lunch money) lol. Here's a few before and after pics. What do you think?

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	331228   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	331229   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	331230   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	331231   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	331232  

Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 PM
peterson911 is on a distinguished road
Coat the bolts with something ! They rust right away... I did the same thing. I was all happy, it looked good for a day then boom all of them rusted...

Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tdurden032
Looks awesome - great job!

Thx!!

Originally Posted by bernard.barbour
Today I spent several hours on the base at the auto craft shop. I took all of the wheels off, cleaned the wheel wells, calipers, some other underside plastics and more. I also took all the lug bolts and put them to a wire wheel brush. Initially I bought some paint. I was going to clean them, then paint. After putting them to the brush they came out really good so I'll be taking the paint back to get my $7.95 (lunch money) lol. Here's a few before and after pics. What do you think?

Looks great! I had the same problem with the lug bolts, decided to order new zink coated black ones, since I was going with new black rims.

Anyway, keep up the good work

Some update on the Project:

UPS tracking says that my new sideskirts will arrive tomorrow

Then its of to the paintshop with the new GT3 front and the new GT3 sideskirts.

I also have got a message from Vivid that the plenum is shipped, eta is next friday

More pics to come!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Awesome!

Looking forward to seeing your updates. While I was working on the lug bolts someone at the shop also mentioned to me that I should coat the bolts with something. I will check around today. Thanks all!

Name:	044.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	331319   Click image for larger version

Name:	046.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	331320  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New guy! 996 Cab Project thread