996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How to drive my porsche??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
for a week, thats so canadian. in a good way

Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 PM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
I normally shift at about 3k while letting the car warm up, depending on the mood and day I will take it up to 4k or even passed that. Just feel for the car and figure out what your comfortable with. I dont agree with the drive it like you stole it, I did that, got my first speeding ticket doing 50 in a 25 (senior citizen facility to).

Ive also learned with this car not to pay attention to people around me that are staring regardless of a smile , envy or pissed off. To them theres no right way, if you drive to fast, your a ****** in a porsche, if you drive to slow, they get mad because youve got a fast car and not using it.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 AM
Neto is a jewel in the roughNeto is a jewel in the roughNeto is a jewel in the roughNeto is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bobecke
I'm new to the Porsche world. Just bought a 99 C2. I know that you are supposed to keep the rpms up while driving. When you are on the freeway, when would you normally shift to sixth gear. Do you normally run it up to 3-4K before shifting around town??

THX.
It all depends what your goals are... On the track, I would say drive it like you stole it, on the street then I would say shift around 3500 - 4000 unless you want to pass someone.. Also, it all depends how you floor your throtle,, its not the same to floor it and shift at 4k than slowly pressing on the pedal and shifting at 4k.. I would say stay in the middle for daily driving..

Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dbTarga996
Ive also learned with this car not to pay attention to people around me that are staring regardless of a smile , envy or pissed off. To them theres no right way, if you drive to fast, your a ****** in a porsche, if you drive to slow, they get mad because youve got a fast car and not using it.
so true

Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Ive also learned with this car not to pay attention to people around me that are staring regardless of a smile , envy or pissed off. To them theres no right way, if you drive to fast, your a ****** in a porsche, if you drive to slow, they get mad because youve got a fast car and not using it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed this is so true. But I will tell you a funny (true) story. Traffic was slow and I was in the right lane and there was this woman walking on the sidewalk checking the car out (not me I have the windows tinted so no one can see in clearly) and she walked into a light pole.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Daviboy is on a distinguished road
I can relate to the starers and the idiots out there who as has been said curse and gesticulate if you happen to drive the car at speed but safely within the road laws, and those who curse and gesticulate because you drive in perfectly sedate manner.
My wife was particularly shocked one evening as we were driving home in the slow lane of the highway after a lovely meal when a d*&k head in a truck came roaring up behind us literally to the rear bumper and proceeded to flash his lights at us.
She questioned me as to the gentleman’s possible intent and I explained to her that it is because we are in a Porsche. She then commented that this never happened in the old one to which I replied yes it’s strange but most people don’t see a 1982 SC as much of a threat strangely enough although they do with a 996 or younger. This exchange took place while the now irate gentleman behind us continued flashing his lights at us despite having a clear lane to pass in. So after a few more minutes my normally placid wife said and I quote ‘f%$k that piece of s*^t a@~ hole show him what this thing can do’, this while rolling down her window and as I changed down into 2nd and floored it she flipped him the bird. Needless to say although he tried valiantly to keep up his efforts were in vain.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by Daviboy
I can relate to the starers and the idiots out there who as has been said curse and gesticulate if you happen to drive the car at speed but safely within the road laws, and those who curse and gesticulate because you drive in perfectly sedate manner.......
Had a similar story, same jerk in a truck giving truck owners a bad name. Had a clear lane beside me to go around and just stayed on my bumper. I ignored him and I guess that pissed him off and he decided to follow me into a parking lot. Sadly for him, he followed me to my local gun store where I was getting some work done and right when he pulled up beside me , I was pulling out one of my guns in my gun bag and my rifle ( not in a gun bag) from the trunk, didn't say a single word and drove off.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 PM
AA717driver is on a distinguished road
Yeah, trucks seem to have a particular problem with 911's. I've had several demonstrate how fas they are (in a straight line--um, dude, anyone can go fast in a straight line...).

I just let them go.

TC

Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Daviboy, I like your wife's attitude!

Originally Posted by dbTarga996
.. when he pulled up beside me , I was pulling out one of my guns in my gun bag and my rifle ( not in a gun bag) from the trunk, didn't say a single word and drove off.
Wish I still had my toys for those situations. I locked them up when I retired from competition (when it was legal to drink).

Originally Posted by FLA996TT
there was this woman walking on the sidewalk checking the car out (not me I have the windows tinted so no one can see in clearly) and she walked into a light pole.
You don't give yourself enough credit. I'm sure she saw you through the legal tints. You should check out pier village in long branch, nj during the summer. These ladies aren't shy about hanging around exotics to wait for the owner to return to the car. I used to live on Ocean Blvd and saw this all the time.

I agree with the gents regarding trucks. They either want to crush me (but I speed away into the horizon), or they ask for my number. I've had to drive past my house once until I lost him. I avoid them when I can. Fortunately I see more Pcars waving me on to cruise together on my commute. Makes my day.

Last edited by porschemama; 04-16-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM
MiamiC70 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by porsche911
Well Said!!!
I invested on the maintenence....
And look forward to the day I am using it...
100 MPH is usual driving speed for me (on Highways, not crowded, and looking out for speed traps).....

Enjoy this thing man!
Ditto. Triple digit for me is not unusual and I DD it for the sheer joy it brings so 4k or higher shifts are the norm.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:30 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
I drive mine everyday to work. Sun or rain. And this is true if you drive fast people hate it, if you drive slow they want y o u to drive fast. Best way is to drive like a regular car

Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The quick answer is I believe (after years of driving 4 different Porsches) your Indy is wrong. You can never go wrong driving a high-performance vehicle - like a high-performance vehicle. It has been recommended and accepted for many years to shift below 4,000 rpm's when cold and above 4,000 when warm. Don't push it until everything is up to temp. - then, the sky's the limit. Remember they were built to race.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 PM
uberklasse is on a distinguished road
Actually drive the car like said…you will be surprised how fun it is once the car is warmed up to drive around town in 2nd and 3rd. I am buried in traffic most of the time but love to keep in 3rd and maybe 4th when on FWY.