997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT suspension PT#1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:04 PM
bobk is on a distinguished road
997TT suspension PT#1

Assembling the components

Porsche factory motorsport / ERP / Custom / Damptronics

I guess the mission has crept a bit!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Nice

Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Looks good.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
I've been trading notes with Fabryce at GMG and have pretty much decided to order a set of mods to reduce roll and bobbing. After 3 track days I'm convinced the TT needs these few easy changes to bring out the best along with a 4 wheel alignment.

I've settled on the following from GMG: WC Sport Springs, WC Sport Sway bar set, GT Dog bone kit, GT toe steer kit, GT thrust arm bushing kit. I'm heading to Calabogie in late-June then 4 days at WGI this summer then back to VIR in the fall so should have ample opportunity to compare and contrast versus stock.

Fact is, this car should be better on the track out of the box than it is. Hate to say it but I'm convinced that's the case. I suspect post-GMG mods the car will be pretty killer.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:56 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
So more and more of us are doing what I now consider the most important mod to the Turbo, tightening up the suspension. My car is into GMG next week for exact the same things as yours, but I will be doing it in stages so I could tell what happens when changes are made.

Bobk has a picture of the Cup car's front lower control arm above. I think if you would like to adjust front wheel camber with a lowered car, you need this (anyone corrects me if I am wrong)? Did you talk to Fabryce about this and do you plan to change this? I forgot but will later on.

I recently drive a GT class Porsche and trade-off for daily drive ability notwithstanding, sad to say, the test drive made my beloved Turbo feels so soft, so sloppy. I knew I was in "trouble" with the very first corner I took in the test car. For my taste, the 997TT simply has too much pitch/roll, too much vertical and lateral motion.

Originally Posted by brownan
I've been trading notes with Fabryce at GMG and have pretty much decided to order a set of mods to reduce roll and bobbing. After 3 track days I'm convinced the TT needs these few easy changes to bring out the best along with a 4 wheel alignment.

I've settled on the following from GMG: WC Sport Springs, WC Sport Sway bar set, GT Dog bone kit, GT toe steer kit, GT thrust arm bushing kit. I'm heading to Calabogie in late-June then 4 days at WGI this summer then back to VIR in the fall so should have ample opportunity to compare and contrast versus stock.

Fact is, this car should be better on the track out of the box than it is. Hate to say it but I'm convinced that's the case. I suspect post-GMG mods the car will be pretty killer.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	controlarm.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	70133  
Old 05-23-2008, 09:51 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cannga
So more and more of us are doing what I now consider the most important mod to the Turbo, tightening up the suspension. My car is into GMG next week for exact the same things as yours, but I will be doing it in stages so I could tell what happens when changes are made.

Bobk has a picture of the Cup car's front lower control arm above. I think if you would like to adjust front wheel camber with a lowered car, you need this (anyone corrects me if I am wrong)? Did you talk to Fabryce about this and do you plan to change this? I forgot but will later on.

I recently drive a GT class Porsche and trade-off for daily drive ability notwithstanding, sad to say, the test drive made my beloved Turbo feels so soft, so sloppy. I knew I was in "trouble" with the very first corner I took in the test car. For my taste, the 997TT simply has too much pitch/roll, too much vertical and lateral motion.
No, Fabryce didn't mention that but I will inquire when I speak to him later. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Reason I brought it up was I think the Turbo's front camber needs to be more negative to reduce the car's tendency to understeer. eclou for example changes his front camber from the stock value of -.4 to a more GT3 like value of -1.3 or so.

If we use PSS10, front camber could be adjusted to more negative value. If we use lowering spring, however, I vaguely recall (not sure at all, I am learning and reading myself) reading that something like the lower control arm is needed to adjust for more negative camber. Please post what you find.

No, Fabryce didn't mention that but I will inquire when I speak to him later. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Ordered. Skipped the lower control arms. Advice was that for DE usage I should be fine. Will try without and see how it goes. Psyched.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:25 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
you can get close to -1.5 camber front using stock suspension with lowering springs

Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Agreed on the camber adjustment. The motorsport part is not totally necessary , but gives more adjustment. The axis of the shims also makes the camber adjustment very efficient geometrically ( longer or shorter control arm).
In doing the research for this project, we noted that the RS suspension has what appear to be the same rubber bushings at control arm and thrust locations ( maybe different durometer?). The only joint on the Rs that appears different is the rear subframe mounts, which are ridgid. Based upon that info, and the responses of others on the board, We concluded that just lowering the roll center and stiffening the spring rate ( basic changes on the RS), would likely add much improvemment.

But I have that billet aluminum syndrome anyway

Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM
eclou & brownan,
Thanks.

Bob,
Considering what your "other" car is, I feel comfortable following the general direction you are taking with the Turbo.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've been sitting here looking and trying to identify all the parts. LOL. So far I could I see Motorsport lower control arm, dog bones, thrust arm bushing.

Are the toe control arms in there some where? I don't seem to see them.

What is the cylindrical bushing that you are holding in your hand? Part of the motorsport lower control arm?

Are you replacing the A Arm Monoball as well?

Originally Posted by bobk
Agreed on the camber adjustment. The motorsport part is not totally necessary , but gives more adjustment. The axis of the shims also makes the camber adjustment very efficient geometrically ( longer or shorter control arm).
In doing the research for this project, we noted that the RS suspension has what appear to be the same rubber bushings at control arm and thrust locations ( maybe different durometer?). The only joint on the Rs that appears different is the rear subframe mounts, which are ridgid. Based upon that info, and the responses of others on the board, We concluded that just lowering the roll center and stiffening the spring rate ( basic changes on the RS), would likely add much improvemment.

But I have that billet aluminum syndrome anyway

Last edited by cannga; 05-23-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:01 PM
997tt spring rates

The cylindrical part is a custom made part to be adapted to the motorsport lower control arms. It has a spherical type bearing ( i.e. no rubber) that mounts to the car subframe. The motorsport part would come with this, but in cast configuration. You would then have to press in the monoball bearing.

Spring Rates, ( courtesy of our superior car Builder/ Bill Pfister @ Eurotech)

Stock 997TT: Front:210#/in.
Rear: 450#/in.

Biltein damptronics as received:
Front: 340#/in
Rear: 675#/in

Obviously why the dramatic improvement!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill said this was the stiffest pss9 /damptronics set he has seen(50%ftont / 60%rear stifer) . He stated that typical is in the 30-40% range. Just another variable!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
THE PATIENT:

Cup car clutch w/ center hydraulic direct actuator. No linkage / forks / 14# total wt clutch / flywheel

Guard diff.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:38 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

Are you sending the car to GMG or doing these changes yourself?

Old 05-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi Bob,

Just to compare notes here. I got numbers for Bilstein that are different from yours.

Bilstein PSS10 (per phone conversation w/ Bilstein)
Front 285 Main, 115 Tender
Rear 570 Main, 145 Tender
Effective 285/570 as tenders are fully compressed.

Some more info, FWIW:

GMG Lowering Springs are stiffer than Bilstein PSS10. By how much, I don't know.

Stock 996 TT:
Front: 187
Rear: 340
997 TT springs much stiffer, I guess?

Stock 996 GT3:
Front: 225 Linear
Rear: 550 Progressive

Originally Posted by bobk
The cylindrical part is a custom made part to be adapted to the motorsport lower control arms. It has a spherical type bearing ( i.e. no rubber) that mounts to the car subframe. The motorsport part would come with this, but in cast configuration. You would then have to press in the monoball bearing.

Spring Rates, ( courtesy of our superior car Builder/ Bill Pfister @ Eurotech)

Stock 997TT: Front:210#/in.
Rear: 450#/in.

Biltein damptronics as received:
Front: 340#/in
Rear: 675#/in

Obviously why the dramatic improvement!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill said this was the stiffest pss9 /damptronics set he has seen(50%ftont / 60%rear stifer) . He stated that typical is in the 30-40% range. Just another variable!!!!!!

Last edited by cannga; 05-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT suspension PT#1