997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:45 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eurotom
Good info. Now I still have a question about treadwear. If i remember correctly the RE-11's used to be @ 180, now they're 200, when did this change? The new -A version is 200.
Tom, what's odd is that when you look at Tirerack posted specs, the RE 11 seems to have a **mixture of 180 and 200 rating**, depending on the size of the tire. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....65&PID=3179977
I would expect 10-12k miles out of these tires, vs. 20k for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I don't mind really because when my Michelin PSS approached end of life it became extremely noisy with road noise, close to being intolerable for me (just like the R comp Pirelli Corsa).

RE 11A changes compound a little per product description below, and does have 200 rating across the board, but does not come in sizes for our car.
>>>>
Sharing the tread design of the popular Potenza RE-11, the Potenza RE-11A adds an exclusive tread compound that combines silica with a new long-link carbon black to increase road contact and abrasion resistance while promoting tread rubber flexibility across a range of cool to hot temperatures.
>>>>

VID997 is right, RE11 is essentially cup tire with less dry traction and more wet traction. Recommended without reservation for anyone who would like to trade a little comfort for better handling.
My Turbo with Bilstein + RE 11 is truly the best handling that I've ever had, and I am so happy with result that my suspension mod project has finally come to an end and a big reason why I've rarely posted anymore :-). The Turbo with suspension mod and proper tire is the epitome of a world class daily driver; for me, as good as could ever be!

Last edited by cannga; 12-21-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:14 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
^^^ And this is why I keep buying these RE's! Actually Can, I had been a Michelin die hard for our 911's ever since we took delivery of our 98 C2S until the very last set of tires I bought for that vehicle…which ended up being RE 050's. I was so impressed with these tires on my wife's C2S I thought I'd try them on my TT. The RE 050's were not available in the sizes I needed, therefore ended up with the RE 11's and have been sold ever since even though my RE thread finally made me cave and try something new…well, we know the results of that decision!

I'm glad you have FINALLY been able to wear out a set of tires and fit your seed with some real shoes!!!! LOL!!!!

PS: Hit Laguna Seca today (last minute) trying to pick up a cancelation, completely sold out and they couldn't find a single slot for me : [

I need to burn up these eights and get back in the elevens ASAP!!!!!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I've been using the NT01s on the street recently and they are not pleasant cold and quite loud considering only 350 miles on them. These are strictly a DE tire and so far don't measure up to my last R Comps the Hankook TDs.

Sounds like the ultimate is Hoos for track (dedicated light wheels and suspension bits that can take the Gs) and REs or MPSS for street and wet track- unfortunately neither available in 18" GT2 size.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
...I am so happy with result that my suspension mod project has finally come to an end...
Oooo....I wish I could say the same! Although, I am so VERY close!!!! One more year of testing and set-up and I might, just might, see 12 heat cycles before cording!!!!!

Currently seeing 8 to 10 cycles from my R6's (roughly 4-5 hours of use before I need to replace)....two weekends...ugh! I want to see three weekends. Not sure we can make that happen.....we can all dream though

Cheers!
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Etchhead
I've been using the NT01s on the street recently and they are not pleasant cold and quite loud considering only 350 miles on them. These are strictly a DE tire and so far don't measure up to my last R Comps the Hankook TDs.

Sounds like the ultimate is Hoos for track (dedicated light wheels and suspension bits that can take the Gs) and REs or MPSS for street and wet track- unfortunately neither available in 18" GT2 size.
EH: Sounds like its time to STEP UP to a 997! Just don't buy a CUP car before I do.....!!!!!!!

Last edited by VID997; 12-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VID997
EH: Sounds like its time to STEP UP to a 997! Just don't buy a CUP car before I do.....!!!!!!!
Can still wrangle a couple more Secs with instruction/tires/billet-turbos... But jumping to an RS sure does sound tempting. Think I'll wait for you to jump Cup first!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
Oooo....I wish I could say the same! Although, I am so VERY close!!!! One more year of testing and set-up and I might, just might, see 12 heat cycles before cording!!!!!

Cheers!
Happy Holidays!
D., my Turbo's suspension mod is for a daily driver - quite aggressive but nevertheless, overall still a modest change, and most importantly there is an END point. You and Etchhead however appear to be serious track junkies to me; you could hope but where there is tremendous cornering speed involved, the sky is the limit and I believe there is NEVER an end in sight!! Not for someone as hooked as you are anyway. I almost want to feel sorry for your wallet.

Thanks for the RE-11 rec; I love it and don't plan to go back to Michelin either. Drive safely and Happy Holidays to you and your family, and to all of 6speed of course.

Last edited by cannga; 12-28-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 PM
(Sorry for the late post.) Looks like a delay for Porsche's Southern Cal driving center, and some more interesting information. It seems once completed Porsche Motorsport North America will relocate its headquarters from Santa Ana (where it is practically neighbor to GMG) to Carson, integrating a previously separate racing aspect of the brand with the consumer side, Porsche Cars North America.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/...delayed-a-year

Construction on a world-class driving facility in Carson where customers can have their way with all kinds of Porsche vehicles on simulated tracks will take a year longer than anticipated, company officials announced this week...

Once completed, the facility will employ about 200 people and include a large building with upscale conference and meeting rooms, a cafe and a restaurant that the community can visit if they first make a reservation.

The facility also will include a “human performance center” and a “sports science lab” that will provide the kind of athletic training and medical care usually reserved only for race car drivers.

Driving skills courses and other packages will be offered at prices starting at $250, Taylor said. In addition, the center will have daylong events designed to introduce people to the track and driving simulators....

Last edited by cannga; 02-11-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
thread response

Can, most of the time I am looking for info, I first go to search. You get a sense of who's advice is worthwhile and who is just passing through, regurgitating if you will. I have been missing the boost rush lately and thinking about a turbo again. My search for info from 997.1 vs 997.2 revealed your most informative and enjoyable thread. I have not read through much beyond the early stages that answered 95% of the questions I had. Thanks for taking the time to leave this legacy of great info for the board members and pcar enthusiasts.
Well done, John

Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 AM
^^^
I am merely an amateur, learning and repeating ideas from other people.
Thanks for the kind words though.

Cheers; btw enjoy your awesome car collection in good health.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 AM
JJD89 996TT is on a distinguished road
The red 997 looks amazing

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Is it really stiff on the road?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 AM
I have thought about upgrading the suspension on my 996 turbo but the Scottish roads are really bad and the standard suspension on our roads feels pretty rough.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by JJD89 996TT
Is it really stiff on the road?

Thanks for the kind words and sorry for late reply. No, Bilstein is not "really" stiff on the road. Stiffer than stock, yes, but most definitely not too bad at all. Remember this is designed by Bilstein to be a "mainly road, occasional track" system. In comparison, I would say it feels similar to the stiff setting of the BMW 2011 M3.

I have not driven on Scottish roads, but if it's similar to southern England's roads, you should be perfectly fine.

In return for the mild/mod increase in stiffness, a 997 Turbo with aftermarket coilover is a bucket list item that any motorsports fan should once have a chance to ride; a COMPLETELY different car because, for me anyway, it improves two major "issues" of the stock 997.1 Turbo:
1. Mushy and boring handling
2. Lazy and mushy steering

Last edited by cannga; 02-23-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM
4flynlow is on a distinguished road
Excellent and informative thread Cannga.
Thanks to all who contributed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Quick Reply: Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo