997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Which are the five lightest wheels for the 997 turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned
gt2urbo will become famous soon enoughgt2urbo will become famous soon enough
sold my 19 dymags a in sept for 5k ... wish i didnt cause i cant find em again. GL

Old 04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
Wow, it is very nice to have seasoned pro's (you & Champion) give their inputs -- this thread has become quite interesting all of a sudden. Let me re-ask the question to make sure I, and maybe other amateurs like me ;-), understand you correctly. (I am a complete amateur and had to read about gyroscopic effect and precession on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession when you started mentioning the word! )

So... are you saying:

1. Yes gyroscopic effect is a problem, but the heavier wheel is not at an advantage because:

2. With road irregularities, the force on the heavier wheel is larger, and therefore it suffers just as much from precession?
The short version is that the rotational inertia of the wheels and the resulting gyroscopic effect do NOT contribute to stability. Quite the opposite.
The vertical forces of road irregularities cause the "gyroscopes" to precess at right angles, even with tiny inputs. The faster the wheel is turning and the greater the moment of inertia, the worse the precession. Thus, the heavier wheels add nothing on perfectly smooth roads and cause a left to right oscillation on rougher roads.
The gyroscopic theory regarding vehicle stability is very interesting to think about and quite logical, but has no foundation in science. Gyroscopes are actually used primarily to provide "error" signals to control surfaces that in turn create stability in aircraft, spacecraft and marine vehicles. They are positioned in a known attitude, spin at a known rate, and have a fixed moment of inertia. Therefore tiny inputs of force cause the Gyro to precess, acting on an electronic circuit that creates a corrective input to a control surface. The Gyro then senses the correction and neutralizes the control surface. This happens very quickly and reliably, stabilizing the vehicle.
However, the gyro itself doesn't directly stabilize anything, only indirectly.

Fun subject.

BTW, #2 is actually correct.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:08 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
^^^Mike, thanks so much for taking the time to explain; clearly it's a subject you know much and care much about. Let me brush up on precession & think about your response for a few days & and see if I have any more questions.

Last edited by cannga; 04-08-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jesse@Champion
...snip...
Multi-piece wheels like the Dymag are very difficult to manufacture with such high levels of concentricity. The more the pieces, the more difficult it is.
Not impossible, mind you, just difficult.

Forged monoblock wheels can be built with practically zero runout if one builds the proper tooling and fixtures. Not cheap, but very smooth at high speed. ...snip...
Hi Jesse,

1. Does what you wrote imply forged monoblock wheels are inherently better than multi-piece wheels?

2. I seem to notice the lightest wheels tend to be multi-piece (Champion RG5, HRE Competition Series). Is there something about monoblock that makes it heavier?

Thank you.

Last edited by cannga; 04-08-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Jesse,

1. Does what you wrote imply forged monoblock wheels are inherently better than multi-piece wheels?

2. I seem to notice the lightest wheels tend to be multi-piece (Champion RG5, HRE Competition Series). Is there something about monoblock that makes it heavier?

Thank you.
Cannga, I'm going to go out on a limb here and state unequivocally that forged monoblock wheels are superior to any other commercially available wheel. They are clearly stronger, supporting more load for unit of wheel mass. It is our experience that our best engineered forged monoblocks are approximately 1 kg lighter than our best 3-piece design, in similar size and load rating. Also, the wheels can be made truer with less runout, consistently, than any 3-piece wheel. The monoblocks are actually less expensive to make on a unit cost basis, but require millions of dollars in powerful equipment to manufacture.
Monoblocks also easily accept factory air valves and TPMS sensors, and there is no problem with vibration caused by water retention, a common problem with 3-piece wheels. Lastly, they are usually easier to clean, not having to deal with all the bolts (PLEASE don't call them rivets) used in 3-piece wheels. And since there is no rim sealing to worry about, no air leaks.
So, lighter, stronger, truer, less expensive and more trouble-free: thats my case.
In fairness, 3-piece wheels are easier to repair, and they can also incorporate complex finishes easier than a monoblock.
And for the record, the two lightest wheel designs available are monoblocks, made by BBS and Tech1.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
are champion rs97 monoblock?

i had maya dtvs - every time i went over a pot hole or something the rim would bend

Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
Our Tech1-200 series for the Turbo are also very light.

The Tech1-210 front in 19x8.5 is 7.48 kg. Rear in 19x11.5 is 8.95 kg.
The 19x12 for the GT3 is 9.08 Kg.

We have been trying to find stocking distributors for this line.

However, in the meantime we will announce a group buy next Monday on all the Tech1-100 and Tech1-200 series wheels. Under $4k per set.
PM me if you want a quotation.
Can you post some pics pls.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
So far we came across:

Dymags (not available any more)

HRE C/F series

BBS Forged individuals

OZ ulraleggera

Tech1

PES GP7 (Not available any more)

RG5

FORZA FORGED F97

Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by milou
Can you post some pics pls.
There are some good pictures of the Tech1-109 and 110 on our website:
www.forgedalloysUSA.com

The Tech1-200 series pics I will add here.

This group buy is for any 19 or 20 inch 997 Porsche fitment.
PM me for 996 fitments.
Finish is limited to Matte Black, Satin Black, Gloss Charcoal, Brushed/Clear and Brilliant Silver.
$3995 per set, 4-5 week delivery

PM me with questions.
Mike

Attached Images      

Last edited by Tech1_Mike; 04-08-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Thank you Mike, for some reason your website does not work for me, i would like to see the other pics too

Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Thank you Mike, for some reason your website does not work for me, i would like to see the other pics too
OOPS! Misspelled my own web address. Now corrected.

Mike

Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Are the Tech1 109-110 the same weight/price ?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Are the Tech1 109-110 the same weight/price ?
Prices are the same. The 110 is about 200 grams lighter than the 109.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 AM
thx, i finally mannage to access the page thx

Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
so of the available wheels
Tech 1
BBS FI
Champion Mag ?
or any others.

Can we get a listing of actual weights for the same size wheels and pics for comparison?

Since this is posted in the 997TT lets have each vendor (or interested individual) post a picture of two of the wheel that they feel best represents light and strong, and the actual weight for the 99TT fitment, and whether they are TPMS compatible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which are the five lightest wheels for the 997 turbo?