997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I had leaks checked .. had the WM 287315 fix done ... and still would get the overrev when starting.

Had the starter swapped out and everything is immaculate ... it felt like a unicorn peed on on my car everytime I turned the key.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:08 AM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I'll think about the starter, as my car just did this nonsense again yesterday on a warm start. It was just serviced with zero issues noted too. I will need a clutch soon so perhaps will bundle clutch, LSD and starter into a project.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:55 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Porsche - sigh.

If this d*** car isn't so amazing to drive and I wasn't so poor I would have sold its *ss a long time ago LOL.

I might change the starter first, but I need some time to think this through in a rational manner, if such thing is possible with Porsche.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Mine hasn't spiked since I've been running the UMW tune...maybe a coincidence, I'm not sure.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
My car is due for the yearly service next month. I'll get them to change the starter - hope it works! How much does this part and labor cost about?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by acf
My car is due for the yearly service next month. I'll get them to change the starter - hope it works! How much does this part and labor cost about?

Skip the oem starter, pick up a bosche unit (exact same part) for 1/3 the price, for a porsche mechanic its half hour job on a lift.

Good luck

Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Since I started posting on this thread my beloved Turbo with Cargraphic *LOUD* exhaust has stopped revving like a maniac at 6 am when I start car to go to work. (My neighbors for some reason still make eye contact and wave at me.)

I need to bump post here daily I think.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 PM
For people who have changed your starter engine, just curious, did you change the starter even though there is no "problem" associated with it? Or was there a problem such as your car was slow to start, or cranking a long time before starting, etc.?

Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
My car does this....the whole 30sec fuel priming (key on) waiting trick works for me.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cannga
For people who have changed your starter engine, just curious, did you change the starter even though there is no "problem" associated with it? Or was there a problem such as your car was slow to start, or cranking a long time before starting, etc.?
Also curious about this. I get the rev spike every once in a while, and also the car needs to crank for a few seconds before it starts sometimes. May be related and fixed by the starter motor?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by turboslut
My car does this....the whole 30sec fuel priming (key on) waiting trick works for me.
Could you explain what exactly is the "30 sec fuel priming (key on) waiting trick"?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by Skwerl
Also curious about this. I get the rev spike every once in a while, and also the car needs to crank for a few seconds before it starts sometimes. May be related and fixed by the starter motor?
s

Yep doesn't seem to be a guarantee fix but it's inexpensive enough that it's worth a try.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:03 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
I turn the key on to the position right before cranking begins. You get the chiming and all that (you can hear fuel pump priming) and I take the time to pair my bluetooth on my phone etc....after about 30 secs I then proceed to crank the engine.

Originally Posted by cannga
Could you explain what exactly is the "30 sec fuel priming (key on) waiting trick"?

Old 03-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
I know this may sound odd. I had the same issue only a few times and it was when I felt the battery wasn't at its peak. Typically after I have had a couple short trips, I've place it on a charger to top up.

Haven't had the issue since. Knock on wood.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jako
I know this may sound odd. I had the same issue only a few times and it was when I felt the battery wasn't at its peak. Typically after I have had a couple short trips, I've place it on a charger to top up.

Haven't had the issue since. Knock on wood.

I had it happen on a brand new battery....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!