997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jds686868
Another Workaround?? Here is my latest ...... As noted I have been having a few annoying and possibly related issues, namely the engine cranks dead every second or third engine start, revs flaring, and rev range 1-6 events being logged at engine start/ignition (and no I don't miss downshifts).
What I found is that the clutch pedal switch (or ECU?) was doing something a bit strange. It "appears" to work fine, however the "ground" pin on the starter relay was not being grounded consistently. The starter relay ground (for the coil) goes to the clutch switch (or possibly ECU?), and when the engine fails to start, the ground pin goes open circuit, even with the clutch depressed.

So, as a workaround I have earthed the "ground" pin on the starter relay, bypassing the nanny state requirement to depress the clutch to start the car.

After a couple of days testing, the car cranks on every start and hasn't gone dead - so far so good. I haven't noticed any engine rev flare at start. Will see if the "rev range" events stop as well. Time will tell.

So what has been done to date:
1. Porsche set the crank angle sensor (didn't fix the rev range issue, or anything really).
2. Check cabling to starter etc - all good. no corrosion.
3. grounded starter relay

Legal Notice: Do not do this mod if you don't know how to start a car with the gearbox in neutral (or pressing the clutch). I accept no legal or other responsibility if you drive over a cliff of multi-storey carpark when starting in gear.
What are you using to read your random over-revs? If it's a Durametric I wouldn't be overly concerned - for whatever reason the Durametric does report bogus low single digit increments in the rev counter. I'd have more confidence if your readings are from a PIWIIS.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 PM
jds686868 is on a distinguished road
hmmm interesting. I am using Durametric. As far as I am aware this just reads the memory counters from the ECU for the rev ranges events. Previous times it correlated exactly with what the PIWIIS was saying, but I will check next time it is in the shop. What Porsche did prove was that you can get rev range 4,5 and 6's without actually over revving the engine - ie an ECU glitch. Not saying that all cars with over revs aren't real, but it can happen.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:00 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Very interesting update. I've been meaning to install a clutch-stop I bought several years ago anyway...

Old 02-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Yes I think it's a glitch myself

Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 AM
TurboKC will become famous soon enoughTurboKC will become famous soon enough
Over Rev finally solved!

Hi
Thought I share this as I know this has been a pain to many owners...

Crank sensor adjustment did not work for me.

Thought I change my starter motor, as I was also getting the lazy start.

The car has never started so quick and is stronger on cranking.

Nearly a month on, no further over revs!!...

See my post in the UK below.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=115...4e5fa1f0749c2b

Last edited by TurboKC; 10-25-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 AM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboKC
Hi

That's great news, thanks for providing back feedback. I'll keep this in mind next time i am replacing the clutch.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by 02black330ci
That's great news, thanks for providing back feedback. I'll keep this in mind next time i am replacing the clutch.
Changing the starter is a breeze, I fitted mine, easy access

Old 10-25-2016, 02:06 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
How much is the starter motor part and labor? I'll try this soon.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by acf
How much is the starter motor part and labor? I'll try this soon.
Over in the U.K. Only around $170.00 for a Bosch starter exchange. Not sure re labour as fitted it myself.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:34 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Thanks. How many hours did it take you?

Old 10-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by acf
Thanks. How many hours did it take you?
About a couple of hours on stands, helps to drop the half shaft.

Remove wire cover and remove two bolts holding the wires. Two bolts hold the starter. Top bolt is a little tricky to get to.

Comes out very easy and new one fits straight in.

This my help.

http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/...ce_and_repair/

Last edited by TurboKC; 10-25-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 AM
crgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to all
Hi

I too had the lazy starting and occasional RPM spiking for 2 years, then finally installed a new Bosch SR0451N the other day, and the car practically flips over now when I turn the key...and it hasn't done the RPM spike yet. The starter took me about an hour and a half to install.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by crgf1k
I too had the lazy starting and occasional RPM spiking for 2 years, then finally installed a new Bosch SR0451N the other day, and the car practically flips over now when I turn the key...and it hasn't done the RPM spike yet. The starter took me about an hour and a half to install.
Thats great!, spread the word....

Old 02-25-2017, 03:31 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by campbellcj
Hi All,

OK, here's the exact text from the paperwork:

"Performed WM287315 adjusting distance from pulse sender to sensor wheel. Removed trans and adjust (sic) sensor to 1.2mm."

As noted earlier they also did the plugs, coil packs and TPM sensors plus of course the standard oil & filter service. This was Rusnak Porsche Westlake (Thousand Oaks, CA).
Originally Posted by campbellcj
Well, since having the "fix" performed my car has done the spiking rev thing at least 3 times. One was this morning. I'm not convinced Porsche really has a handle on the solution.
Hi
Originally Posted by crgf1k

My car has developed this problem lately, incidentally after a clutch job (ouch!), and this thread (particularly the last few posts above) is very interesting and helpful regarding the WM 287315 fix - most of all, that it may not work?

And instead changing the starter motor may be the solution?

Last edited by cannga; 02-25-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:30 AM
yah996 will become famous soon enoughyah996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cannga
My car has developed this problem lately, incidentally after a clutch job (ouch!), and this thread (particularly the last few posts above) is very interesting and helpful regarding the WM 287315 fix - most of all, that it may not work?

And instead changing the starter motor may be the solution?
I had a leaky intake, most off all the older cars has this problem. 4 clamps on the rubber intake. I know, this is new to all others, but in my case this worked out for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Do your RPM's ever spike on the odd start up? The Cure is here!