997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

FVD LED taillight converter units

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
FVD LED taillight converter units

Anyone have experience with these? Sent off a PM to Rhonda, but I'm impatient and hope someone has used these

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...-right%29.html

My three questions are
1) does it really work?
2) where do you put the units themselves? Not exactly a lot of room behind the taillight when installed
3) does this obviate the need to buy the front and rear control units?

I realize they're pricey as heck, but if it bypasses the headaches of reprogramming and pin-switching, then it may be worth it.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Anyone have experience with these? Sent off a PM to Rhonda, but I'm impatient and hope someone has used these

My three questions are
1) does it really work?
2) where do you put the units themselves? Not exactly a lot of room behind the taillight when installed

I realize they're pricey as heck, but if it bypasses the headaches of reprogramming and pin-switching, then it may be worth it.
The 997.2 lights are ugly...You should just sell them to me and save your money!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead

My three questions are
1) does it really work?

Is the purpose of this to allow 997.2 taillights to work in a 997.1? If so, I thought there was a fitment issue - the 997.2 taillights are different size. IIRC, that's why the folks who have done the 997.2 to 997.1 conversions end up replacing the bumper with the 997.2 bumper. Let us know what you find out. Here's a post from someone who's done the conversion:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-my-turbo.html

Last edited by jhbrennan; 05-30-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:24 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Fitment is obviously an issue (you'll need either a modified bumper or a face lifted bumper) but also, certain cars produced in the earlier years of the 997 production have light control units which will have problems with the LEDs...early 2007, 2008 TTs for example, will have electrical gremlins unless you change the control units. I believe the FVD interface corrects those issues without pulling out the front seat for a control unit swap.

bob

Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Is the purpose of this to allow 997.2 taillights to work in a 997.1? If so, I thought there was a fitment issue - the 997.2 taillights are different size. IIRC, that's why the folks who have done the 997.2 to 997.1 conversions end up replacing the bumper with the 997.2 bumper. Let us know what you find out. Here's a post from someone who's done the conversion:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-my-turbo.html
Sorry, should have been more clear. Bob is correct.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Seems like a decent value then if you don't have to have reprogramming of the computer and removal and replacement of control modules. The bumper is obviously not terribly cheap. These lights look awesome. I'm guessing the total cost would be a little less than what the guy in the link had to pay (around 3k iirc). I'm considering this option too.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead .. But I have the same Q's: Does this module work? Anyone using it? any problems?

Thank you all

Old 08-03-2011, 12:46 AM
hypers09 is infamous around these parts
I have these on my car and they work great. Very easy to install and had no issues with them.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hypers09
I have these on my car and they work great. Very easy to install and had no issues with them.
So am I correct then that no programming (in PIWIS) is necessary in order to get this to work?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
I modified my bumper to fit 997,2 taillights and built some resistor packs to avoid error messages...it wasnt that hard...Everything works perfect...

Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
So am I correct then that no programming (in PIWIS) is necessary in order to get this to work?
Your correct, you don't need to modify the software with the PIWIS.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
great thanks. It's a good option b/c I like the look of the .2 led lights, but I must say that the Dectane's also look really good in person and don't need a new bumper. decisions decisions

Old 08-04-2011, 12:00 AM
sayegh87 has a spectacular aura aboutsayegh87 has a spectacular aura aboutsayegh87 has a spectacular aura about
I have used it and it works great...

Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
i love my rotec set...no brainer of an install

Old 08-05-2011, 05:58 AM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by skandalis447
I modified my bumper to fit 997,2 taillights and built some resistor packs to avoid error messages...it wasnt that hard...Everything works perfect...
will that work for the 07 model too?
where can i find info on that? any DIY?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FVD LED taillight converter units