997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dension 500S BT install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:58 PM
kegscy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
If you have any issues with your Dension, you may want to try this latest release. 0047 now ready to go.

Attachment 223360

Attachment 223361

Please remember, if you have any issues after updating, follow the install guide to revert back to previous version (0046). Full log of updates will come when Dension posts this on their site, but we have it now for release to customers.

And just so you know, Dension is fast at work on 0048 for some enhancements, we expect to see sometime in April/May.

Hi,
I'm a bit late joining this thread, but have just bought Dension GW52MO2 to fit to my 997T / PCM2.1 with CDC & phone unit.
I took it to local installer who offered to fit it but gave up saying I needed a fibre extenson cable, which I don't believe....
I'm looking for instructions on the install.
I think I should be able to mount it behind the head unit, & plug the Dension in-line with the MOST feed to/from the CDC.
Do I need to unplug/loop/disable the factory phone under the seat?

Any help very gratefully received !

Kegscy

Old 10-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered PM
Hamiltonseth is on a distinguished road
Hey everyone. I just installed a 500s bt in my 997.1tt and am having a few issues. Sometimes it says no cd changer and won't recognize the dension at all, other times it works by playing audio through the iPod cable or flash drive. When the PCM does recognize the dension I can make Bluetooth calls but I have never been able to stream music to the unit over bluetooth. Any help only either issue?

Thanks, Seth

Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM
kegscy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Dension 500 BT

Originally Posted by Hamiltonseth
Hey everyone. I just installed a 500s bt in my 997.1tt and am having a few issues. Sometimes it says no cd changer and won't recognize the dension at all, other times it works by playing audio through the iPod cable or flash drive. When the PCM does recognize the dension I can make Bluetooth calls but I have never been able to stream music to the unit over bluetooth. Any help only either issue?

Thanks, Seth
Seth, - that is similar to what I get.
I removed the CD changer & got the latest firmware for the Dension (5.0). Most times it does recognise the Dension, and I can use the 3.5mm i/p & BT phone. (or iPod) Occasionally it loses the lot and so I lose all radio/PCM, but I suspect this is a fibre link intermittancy, - its only happened 2 or 3 times though & is usually OK after a power cycle. Normally it gives a 'no CD changer' error which needs to be acknowledged, but DOES work.
I only ever got the BT Audio working once, and that was by *disabling* the BT phone !!
I am living with it for now, but I suspect I will replace the whole unit with something decent in the near future
I think its simply not robust enough/hasn't been properly tested with the Porsche system.... I guess you get what you pay for....

..unless anyone else has a magic fix....???!

Kegscy

Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kegscy
Seth, - that is similar to what I get.
I removed the CD changer & got the latest firmware for the Dension (5.0). Most times it does recognise the Dension, and I can use the 3.5mm i/p & BT phone. (or iPod) Occasionally it loses the lot and so I lose all radio/PCM, but I suspect this is a fibre link intermittancy, - its only happened 2 or 3 times though & is usually OK after a power cycle. Normally it gives a 'no CD changer' error which needs to be acknowledged, but DOES work.
I only ever got the BT Audio working once, and that was by *disabling* the BT phone !!
I am living with it for now, but I suspect I will replace the whole unit with something decent in the near future
I think its simply not robust enough/hasn't been properly tested with the Porsche system.... I guess you get what you pay for....

..unless anyone else has a magic fix....???!

Kegscy
Mine also has its quirks and will be swapping with a full aftermarket system in the future as well.

Edwin

Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Registered PM
I sure hope the final answer is not that we own a crappy product that doesn't function well. I like the bluetooth and the audio is clear, when it works. Hopefully I can get it working.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:07 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Had mine for over a year, works 75% of the time, will try a full aftermarket replacement. Kind of regret spending 400€ on the Dension

Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
If you purchased from us, reach out via email for any support: eric@bumperplugs.com

Some of the issues listed above are related to installation errors, setup errors, or failed programming. Usually simple to resolve.

If you bought elsewhere, go to your source for the unit for all support, and if they fail to provide it, get on Dension's website and report it, and create a ticket.

We're here for our customers and happy to help.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Registered PM
Eric,
I wish I would have checked the forums prior to purchasing, I would have anticipated issues and purchased from you. The lastest software is installed and I replaced the nav-tv that was in my car with the dension. I figured it should work just as well as the nav-tv since it was pretty much the same wiring.

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)

Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 PM
dewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
Pull PCM and unclasp the wiring - one for MOST, 1 for PCM, 1 for power, and 2 for the antenna.

Hook up appropriate MOST wiring.

I decided to reuse my wiring harness from the GW500. I also had a custom wiring harness to tap power so I didn't have to wire tap directly into factory wiring.

I'm very interested in knowing where you got your power supply harness from. Like you, I do not want to cut into my stock wiring harness. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Passenger side footwell power socket. Unswitched power there. You don't need to splice wires in there. Just get a pin connector and solder it to the pos and neg. wedge the pin connectors on the same side as the oem wires into the harness.

Last edited by Jako; 04-24-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:45 AM
Richard Gledhill is on a distinguished road
Dension s 500bt optical loop drawing please

Originally Posted by bbywu
Bluetooth wired under the dash, out the A pillar:

Hi mate
Just fitted one of these densions s bt500 to my 997 turbo its a 2007 car and i think i might take a hammer to it ha ha
I have it all fitted but cannot sort the optical loop i think this is the problem my car has bose nav phone prep cdc
If i put a loop in the cdc isnt this the part of the nav to?
Dont want to lose my sat nav
Is there any proper info out there like a detailed drawing of what connects where regarding the optical bit
Thanks again

Old 04-03-2016, 06:55 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Richard Gledhill
Hi mate
Just fitted one of these densions s bt500 to my 997 turbo its a 2007 car and i think i might take a hammer to it ha ha
I have it all fitted but cannot sort the optical loop i think this is the problem my car has bose nav phone prep cdc
If i put a loop in the cdc isnt this the part of the nav to?
Dont want to lose my sat nav
Is there any proper info out there like a detailed drawing of what connects where regarding the optical bit
Thanks again
On the CD changer, you just make a loop that bypasses it and then that is the only thing out of the MOST loop. You make a Fiber optic connector that has the CDC IN FO going in to one side, and the CDC OUT FO on the other...so the Loop continues, but skips the CDC. This will not affect any other components...will just skip the CDC.

Hope that helps? I may be able to find a pic or two later, if that does not make sense?

Good luck...
DC

Old 04-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Eric,
I wish I would have checked the forums prior to purchasing, I would have anticipated issues and purchased from you. The lastest software is installed and I replaced the nav-tv that was in my car with the dension. I figured it should work just as well as the nav-tv since it was pretty much the same wiring.

Email me: info@bumperplugs.com

If your Porsche did not have a cdc, then it needs programming to ID the loop and each module. If it does have a cdc, and the Dension is not near the CDC or the CDC is not connected to the Dension's second port (assuming you purchased the dual port unit we sell), then there are going to be numerous issues.

For others, if you don't have detailed support from your reseller, report this to dension via their website (dension.com) and create an e-ticket. Dension needs to hear from customers about resellers not supporting their customers/products. And if you have not followed the specific installation guidelines, you can experience issues. For most, if the setup and installation guidelines are followed to the letter, these units work just fine. But you have to follow the instructions. Ours are a bit more detailed than the somewhat confusing package insert, but that comes from 10+ years representing the Dension line.

Reach out if no luck with your reseller or Dension's online support.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 04-05-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:52 AM
abq997 is on a distinguished road
I sure hope the final answer is not that we own a crappy product that doesn't function well. I like the bluetooth and the audio is clear, when it works. Hopefully I can get it working.
I installed the 500S BT in my 997.1 C2S about 3 years ago. It has a frunk CD changer, and I did hook it up to the Denison correctly, so that it is in the MOIST bus (or at least I think so). The PCM has always complained of a missing CD changer. However, it doesn't impact functionality at all. I did communicate with Denison support, but they have been unable to resolve the issue.

Yeah, it is mildly annoying, but given that it is an aftermarket accessory for a relatively low production, highly "closed source" German car, it's not that surprising.

If I had it to do over again, I would have either not gone with the Denison or researched replacing the PCM unit itself, or soldering in an AUX jack.

I wish Denison would just give me their source code so I could fix the damn bug myself in an afternoon...

Old 12-09-2016, 04:33 PM
RojoGray3Car is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to do this install and I do not have the CD changer option turned on, do I have to program PCM 2.1 to enable CD changer option or is is plug and play? Does the radio automatically enable and use the cd changer port Dension uses with having to program? If I have to try that option on does anyone know how?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension 500S BT install