997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dension 500S BT install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Dension 500S BT install

I swapped out my old 500 unit with a BT adapter and replaced it with hte new 500S.

First, you need to pull PCM. To do so, you need to pull the footwell outlet vent cover, which is held in place with a Torx T-30 bolt. In US cars, the passenger side has a power adapter which will disconnect with a locking plastic tab.

Next, you will need to pull the lateral covers on both sides of PCM. They are held with Torx T-20 bolts, two each side. To pull the cover, you need to pull forward, and unsnap 3 speed tabs located here (yellow circles.)

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Next use a 5mm Allen key and turn counter clockwise 4 plastic locking tabs, located here: (red arrow)

Attached Images   

Last edited by bbywu; 08-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Use a small 7mm hex socket and loosen the locking bolt on the passenger side:

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Pull PCM and unclasp the wiring - one for MOST, 1 for PCM, 1 for power, and 2 for the antenna.

Hook up appropriate MOST wiring.

I decided to reuse my wiring harness from the GW500. I also had a custom wiring harness to tap power so I didn't have to wire tap directly into factory wiring.

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2012, 01:24 PM
I ran my adapter wiring through a small opening into the glove box. I pulled the light and used the factory opening to pull the wiring into the glove box.

Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Installed:

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Bluetooth wired under the dash, out the A pillar:

Attached Images    
Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Impressions:

1. Bluetooth A2DP is much improved. GW500 had a high pitch ringing at higher frequencies with my iPhone 4...GW500S is much improved. On very rare occasions, Pandora streams via 3G to my phone, and A2DPs to GW500S and has a skip if my signal drops out.

2. Bluetooth phone calls excellent sound quality on both the sender's and receiver's end.

3. No beeps or annoying clicks.

4. BT receives my phone book from my iPhone 4. Had occasional problems with my GW500.

5. Only hiccup I have discovered: with my iPod classic plugged in, when I dial out from my iPhone, PCM gets confused, and does not always drop the music and go to the phone.

6. No problem with voice control on my iPhone, although activation requires pushing the button on my phone.

To date, this is the best solution for PCM 2.1 that I have used.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
a_wlee is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thanks for posting your install

Thanks this will help with my installation of the the new unit.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks Bob for another first-rate review and DIY. I've come to expect nothing less from you! It does seem Dension is the unit to have for ipod and phone bluetooth in our 911.
New Dension doesn't have that brief silence from other end at beginning of call anymore, I assume?

Last edited by cannga; 08-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:39 PM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
Great DIY for the new Dension unit!! Thanks!!

I have yet to install my Dension and BT units.

Is installation in a 997.1TT behind the head unit easier than going to the frunk?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by a_wlee
Thanks this will help with my installation of the the new unit.
Your welcome

Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks Bob for another first-rate review and DIY. I've come to expect nothing less from you! It does seem Dension is the unit to have for ipod and phone bluetooth in our 911.
New Dension doesn't have that brief silence from other end at beginning of call anymore, I assume?
I have not noticed this problem in the past, so it is hard for me to compare.

Originally Posted by stltri
Great DIY for the new Dension unit!! Thanks!!

Is installation in a 997.1TT behind the head unit easier than going to the frunk?
I don't have a CD changer, so having a front trunk install didn't make sense. Plus, I didn't want to get out of the car and open the trunk to retrieve my iPod every time.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
So does the new dension unit not provide a wiring harness? For people who don't currently own any aftermarket systems, do we have to do wiring?

Thanks for the write-up btw!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Enilder
So does the new dension unit not provide a wiring harness? For people who don't currently own any aftermarket systems, do we have to do wiring?

Thanks for the write-up btw!
Dension has all the wiring needed - I just didn't want to put a wire tap into the OEM wiring harness. So I found a harness that goes between the car and PCM, and has a hot and ground wire that I could solder the Dension power supply to.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute

If you bought from us, we include detailed instructions to help you get any cabling from the front trunk to the glove box if you install there.

All cabling is included in our kit, optical, ipod, aux, mic for bluetooth, etc.

Bobby, many thanks for tackling this early on, appreciate the detailed writeup and will look for any emails on anything you need. Be sure to check out the various menus - there are far more options and adjustability areas in this product than the old.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension 500S BT install