997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dension 500S BT install

Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM
bellwilliam is on a distinguished road
I also bought from Eric. fast shipping and fast response. He helped me many times over the weekend during installation, as I was confused on which installation schematic to use.

I have 06 997 3.6L, no CD changer. PCM 2.1. Dension dip switches set to 1,2,5,6 on.

I had some issues during installation. my screen kept saying "amplifier not available" when I had Dension in. I wanted to make sure it worked under "bypass", but couldn't after many tries. switch to "active", same thing. but 99% of the time, I was on "bypass" mode.

it turned out I had to restart ignition (not just turning PCM on/off) before setting switch from "bypass" to "active". once in "active" and ignition cycled, everything worked. I did not take car to a dealer to "enable" CD changer, everything works so far (in last 3 days), didn't want to mess it yet.

not sure if this is because I didn't enable cd changer, that "bypass" don't work ? may be my car (just bought it used) already have cd changer enabled and I didn't know (I doubt it, as there were no error message prior) ?

I did an experiment:

there are 2 optics in "car side" of Dension and another 2 optics in "cbc side" of Dension (you don't use cbc port)
with "bypass", red light/laser goes in to "car side in", but there is no light emitting from "car side out", but there is light emitting from "cbc side out"
with "active", red light/laser goes in to "car side in", light emits from "car side out" only.

just another data point.

for power, I tapped into cigarette lighter on lower passenger side. I also installed Dension behind the PCM. there is space for it right there.

in the end, it was a great product, Eric was helpful. I have an iphone, it is nice with bluetooth streaming, my phone can be in my pocket, not needing to be plugged in. phone voice quality was good. not sure if it is normal, but phone audio only comes out on right speakers, not left (at least that's what it sounded like).

Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-20-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
Dension has all the wiring needed - I just didn't want to put a wire tap into the OEM wiring harness. So I found a harness that goes between the car and PCM, and has a hot and ground wire that I could solder the Dension power supply to.
Can you tell me more about the wiring harness you used. Like you, I am not a fan of the cheap little wire taps most installers use and prefer using a harness with the proper connectors. Is there somewhere I can get a similar harness or is there a Porsche part number on the harness itself which allow me to order one ?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 AM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
Impressions:

1. Bluetooth A2DP is much improved. GW500 had a high pitch ringing at higher frequencies with my iPhone 4...GW500S is much improved. On very rare occasions, Pandora streams via 3G to my phone, and A2DPs to GW500S and has a skip if my signal drops out.
Does the PCM display the streamed music info (artist, song) from Pandora? Also, I could not stream from the iPhone if iPod was connected, have you noticed this also?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
We just announced a new update on firmware for our customers using the 500S, and it now (for most devices) shows song info just like it would for iPod connection, when using BT audio.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 PM
bellwilliam is on a distinguished road
flashed the new firmware. my BT audio function was gone. then mysteriously came back after an hour

Last edited by bellwilliam; 11-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM
ilhan997 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
We just announced a new update on firmware for our customers using the 500S, and it now (for most devices) shows song info just like it would for iPod connection, when using BT audio.
intrested in new 500s plz, pm me about the price, thanks.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Bob,

Quick question:

When you installed it behind the PCM, did you just unplug this IN orange plug (that was going into the PCM) and plug it straight into the Dension unit? and then take the CDC cable from the Dension package and plugged it into the unit and the radio?

Also, did you have a CD changer? How did you close the fiber loop on that?

I installed mine in the trunk but am going to move it into the cabin so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edwin

Attached Images  

Last edited by PrecisionPorsch; 01-16-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 PM
abq997 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Bob,

Quick question:

When you installed it behind the PCM, did you just unplug this IN orange plug (that was going into the PCM) and plug it straight into the Dension unit? and then take the CDC cable from the Dension package and plugged it into the unit and the radio?

Also, did you have a CD changer? How did you close the fiber loop on that?

I installed mine in the trunk but am going to move it into the cabin so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edwin
I have the same question. I have the CD changer, but it seems that installing the Dension in the cabin makes accessing the ipod/aux/usb much easier. When installing in the frunk, I'm not sure how the cables could be routed to the glove compartment, and the microphone to the cabin.

However, it seems it is therefore necessary to take the CD changer out of the loop. Can this be done simply by butt coupling together the input/output fibers for the CD changer MOST plug?

---

Another question: is it no longer necessary to alter the MOST connectors to put the Dension in the MOST loop? It seems like the dual FOT unit can accept the MOST plug from the PCM head unit, and then the head unit can be plugged into the Dension?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I don't know what you mean but butt coupling. You can use a optical loop connector to bypass the CD changer, you may need to program out the CD changer using PIWIS.

I do not understand your second question.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't know what you mean but butt coupling. You can use a optical loop connector to bypass the CD changer, you may need to program out the CD changer using PIWIS.

I do not understand your second question.
OK, I figured out the answer to the 2nd question from reading the installation manuals.

As for the first question, butt coupling is basically the same as the loop. In any event, I just bought a MOST optical loop to put in place of the CD changer.
========================
However, what do I have to do to take the CD changer out and put the Dension in the glovebox? It sounds like the following:

1. Put optical loop on CD changer MOST plug, disconnect CD changer electrical cable.

2. Place Dension in the MOST ring at the head unit screen. Is this possible if the car came with a factory CD changer? I read somewhere that order of components in the MOST loop is important. Is the PCM going to be unhappy if I insert the Dension somewhere other than at the CDC in the frunk?

3. May need to deactivate CD changer in PIWIS to avoid "cd changer not found" errors?

Am I missing anything?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If you have a CDC and or NAV, the optical system goes from the head unit to these devices then to the amplifier.

The Dension unit needs to fit in the optic loop between the head unit and amp. If you have a CDC, the Dension and CDC CANNOT reside on the primary loop simultaneously.

If you are installing with a CDC in the front trunk, the Dension can reside beside the CDC. You don't necessarily have to remove the unit.

You should be able to remove the optical from the CDC, and put the Dension unit in its place.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
I think I'm going to do the install from the frunk, and not try to rip out the PCM head unit. This makes it easy to hide the Dension anyway.

I found a website that sells Mini-Din 9-pin extension cables for the Dension aux/usb/switch box and the iPod cable. They are pretty cheap:
MOLDED CABLE, MINI DIN 9 PIN MALE TO FEMALE EXTENSION, 6.0 FEET
http://www.stockcable.com/store/inde...&product_id=80

Then I'll just get a USB extension cable in addition. This way, I may be able to run it into the center console arm rest, like the 997.2.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
If you bought from us, we include detailed instructions to help you get any cabling from the front trunk to the glove box if you install there.

All cabling is included in our kit, optical, ipod, aux, mic for bluetooth, etc.

Bobby, many thanks for tackling this early on, appreciate the detailed writeup and will look for any emails on anything you need. Be sure to check out the various menus - there are far more options and adjustability areas in this product than the old.
Well since I am in the EU I didnt buy the Dension from you, and I have had issues, 1 out of 3 times the Dension wont work blocking the MOST bus and leaving me without amplifier and navigation. I get a "Amplifier, Phone and Navigation not available" error, sometimes I get a "Phone not available" but my BT connected iPhone works fine with it (I assumed it is the build in phone that is being overridden by the Dension unit but the BT connection isnt in palce yet thus "not available").

The support received from Dension been a joke, waiting for three weeks before I get an answer suggesting I didnt connect it properly to constant power (which I have, and I told them in my reply). This was some weeks ago and I have not received any more answers from their support.

Since I get no help from them I will probably try to get it refunded since there is 2y warranty in EU on all products, but since they suck at normal support I assume they will be even worse handling returns...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 AM
I found the large grommet between the front firewall and the cabin (behind the battery and to the right).

However, how should I run the cables from the frunk to the battery compartment area? Is the only option to drill a hole in one of the molded grommets that already contains a large wire bundle? Or is there a grommet that is also unused from the frunk to the battery?

---

Update: So it looks like I have to remove the carbon canister (black box under the CD changer) to give access to the unused grommet that is just behind it.

Last edited by abq997; 02-14-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by abq997
I found the large grommet between the front firewall and the cabin (behind the battery and to the right).

However, how should I run the cables from the frunk to the battery compartment area? Is the only option to drill a hole in one of the molded grommets that already contains a large wire bundle? Or is there a grommet that is also unused from the frunk to the battery?
I have my Dension mounted with velcro on top of the navigation dvd player. There was a small hole with a piece of plastic close to it, I drilled it up in size to fit the usb connector to the Dension unit. Before pulling the cable through I put a new rubber grommet in the hole I drilled and ran the cable through it.

Attached Images    

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension 500S BT install