997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

FVD Software tune (MyGenius Tool), Techart Exhaust tips…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:28 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC

Again, my apologies for the thread jack. GIAC software was mentioned with some false information and I wanted to clarify.
No apologies necessary Austin. This is a community of Porsche enthusiasts and almost all of us come here for information (accurate information) and to share experiences. I passed along inaccurate information (received from a dealer) regarding a GIAC product and all you did was set the record straight. I, and I suspect all other 6Speeders, appreciate that.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
False?

Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
GIAC software was mentioned with some false information and I wanted to clarify.
Austin, what part of my story was false?

The FVD download takes 9-15 minutes and so does the upload - it is a total remapping, just like yours, and is customized based on the upload of the base file (more than a megabyte in sized). You must put the battery on a tender, regardless, as if the battery dies on upload you risk fragging the ECU as you point out. FVD has a recovery log file that helps with that issue in the hand held tool in NVRAM, which did not exist before, and is likely a concern with a Softronic PC based flash.

Your little code flasher do-hickey doesn't have much RAM at all, and is NOT a full reprogram - your "stock" file still resides on the ECU and the hand flasher (which never worked properly with my 997.2 BTW) just pulls the stock variables back into play, so it is NOT the same as the FVD system that re-uploads and re-maps the ECU with the base file . You validate my concern that there is NO way to HIDE a flash, due to the time stamp issue - though FVD claims to prevent a flash counter in EEPROM from counting, and therefore has the best chance to HIDE said flash (unlike you).

My point regarding reprogramming is irrefutable; if the DEALER wipes the flash, THEN you MUST go back to an authorized GIAC dealer AND PAY THEM to put it back in the car again - hassle, inconvenience, and from my experience, not the best in customer service. We don't have a great outfit like Champion Motorsport here in San Diego so I can't speak to your excellent relationship with them.

I was relating my truthful experience with FVD and the fact I could do the flash myself with instruction using something better than an FTP server on a Windows XP platform running Parallels on a MAC after the dealership eliminated my flash by uploading a new base file.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:48 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
Austin, what part of my story was false?

The FVD download takes 9-15 minutes and so does the upload - it is a total remapping, just like yours, and is customized based on the upload of the base file (more than a megabyte in sized). You must put the battery on a tender, regardless, as if the battery dies on upload you risk fragging the ECU as you point out. FVD has a recovery log file that helps with that issue in the hand held tool in NVRAM, which did not exist before, and is likely a concern with a Softronic PC based flash.

Your little code flasher do-hickey doesn't have much RAM at all, and is NOT a full reprogram - your "stock" file still resides on the ECU and the hand flasher (which never worked properly with my 997.2 BTW) just pulls the stock variables back into play, so it is NOT the same as the FVD system that re-uploads and re-maps the ECU with the base file . You validate my concern that there is NO way to HIDE a flash, due to the time stamp issue - though FVD claims to prevent a flash counter in EEPROM from counting, and therefore has the best chance to HIDE said flash (unlike you).

My point regarding reprogramming is irrefutable; if the DEALER wipes the flash, THEN you MUST go back to an authorized GIAC dealer AND PAY THEM to put it back in the car again - hassle, inconvenience, and from my experience, not the best in customer service. We don't have a great outfit like Champion Motorsport here in San Diego so I can't speak to your excellent relationship with them.

I was relating my truthful experience with FVD and the fact I could do the flash myself with instruction using something better than an FTP server on a Windows XP platform running Parallels on a MAC after the dealership eliminated my flash by uploading a new base file.
I have a really hard time to grasp why ppl would opt for a tune that requires sending the ECU in or bring the car to a GIAC dealer?

Sure if this was the only way to do it, but it isn't, so why don't GIAC just fix this? And create the tools/cables/software needed, surely they should have the knowledge to do so?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Austin,

Our stance is, to give "untrained customers" as you call them, a very safe flash tool, ample instructional information and step by step support if necessary so that they have the freedom to program their cars themselves. After all lets face it, we are dealing with professionals from every walk of life who are knowledgeable in a great many things and programming a car with the right information is a simple task. As you know Austin, I am very respectful on these boards and also encourage competition. But, please don't infer that because customers are flashing the cars themselves they will not be making the power "that we do" as you say. Our files offer plenty of power and it is power that can be repeated over and over again consistently.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
When my CPO has expired I will go with the FVD tune, it just seems to be the easiest and most reliable on the market.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Reading all this makes me think again and wait for the COBB tune (.2 version) you just put the OBDII box on place and put what ever map including stock one, no need to call or go anywhere to do it, even if the dealer mess with your tune.

Also I will like to know whp & tq with the FVD tune, I believe is a good point when you are deciding which tune is better for your car.

Last edited by webcarconnection; 04-18-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:22 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by webcarconnection
Also I will like to know whp & tq with the FVD tune, I believe is a good point when you are deciding which tune is better for your car.
You raise an interesting point, given that I now have the IPD plenum, 100 cell cats exhaust and the FVD tune, it would be nice to know what sort of whp & TQ my TTS is actually putting down. Anyone know of/can recommend a reliable dyno shop in the NY/NJ area?

While power is certainly an aspect to consider when deciding on a tune, Webcarconnection I would add that more important than sheer power is the experience, reputation and reliability of the company you choose. Very few companies can rival FVD Brombacher's 31 years experience with Porsche racing/street cars (BTW, Dunkleblau S is absolutely correct, the read/write process takes <15mins and is so easy I do it in my garage).

Old 04-18-2014, 02:46 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Great, when you do it please post results

Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
I have the FVD tune and my only indication that it is more powerful, it's when the traction control light flickers on first and second. That would indicate all wheels are losing traction?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:50 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akunob
Anyone know of/can recommend a reliable dyno shop in the NY/NJ area?
?
Drive Auto supposedly has an AWD dyno at their newly opened Mountainside NJ location

Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by ecpChris
Drive Auto supposedly has an AWD dyno at their newly opened Mountainside NJ location
Thanks Chris, I'll give them a call. AWE Tuning in PA apparently also have a dyno. I need to confirm whether both dyno Turbos (i.e., if they have blowers/fans for the intakes).

Old 04-21-2014, 03:08 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akunob
Thanks Chris, I'll give them a call. AWE Tuning in PA apparently also have a dyno. I need to confirm whether both dyno Turbos (i.e., if they have blowers/fans for the intakes).
Powerhaus performance in Cherry Hill also has an AWD dyno
http://powerhaus-performance.com/services/
If you go hit up member swc on here.
I wasn't sure if you were north or south Jersey

Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by ecpChris
Powerhaus performance in Cherry Hill also has an AWD dyno
http://powerhaus-performance.com/services/
If you go hit up member swc on here.
I wasn't sure if you were north or south Jersey
Thanks a lot Chris, this might do it. I'm in Central Jersey but a run to Cherry Hill is doable! Meeting up with a fellow 6Speeder (swc) would be a nice added bonus.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Al Nunez
I have the FVD tune and my only indication that it is more powerful, it's when the traction control light flickers on first and second. That would indicate all wheels are losing traction?
I can't tell if you're being serious or not